Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

2015 MLB Draft Thread

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

Well, 2014 is in the books. The Bleacher Report has already posted a mock draft for 2015. It's a bit early for anything other than speculation. The draft seems pretty heavy in pitching and middle infielders, both of which are always in high demand. They mocked the Twins taking another HS SS.

Should note, I really want the Twins to take Skye Bolt... not for anything mentioned in the scouting report, but because of the name. I think RiverBrian could have some fun in game threads with that name.

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

More links to look at:

http://www.mlbprospe...-prospects.html

http://www.baseballa...t/t/2015-draft/

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

An outfield with Zack Granite and Skye Bolt could be fun.

#4 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

You kidding right? 2015 draft already? I didnt think our team was that bad

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

I never click on Bleacher Report propaganda because I hate slideshows but I couldn't help myself. This was not a slideshow. Is that new? Did those click hungry hacks finally do away with those?

#6 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Alcohol Infused

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

I also try to avoid Bleacher Report, but they've been hiring some people who are good at WRITING, and are using all those clicks to generate money and better content. They're becoming a force. Hopefully they don't choose the dark side.

#7 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

I think last year someone started a 2014 thread the day before the 2013 draft, so this is an improvement. :)
There was a lot of talk about how the 2014 draft was week on college hitter because teams spent a lot 3 years before on high schoolers. It will be interesting to see if hitters pop back next year. Looking at the GCL and the DSL Twins they have a lot of corner Infielders. Depending who they sign on the international markets, I expect them to go BPA for the top rounds again, Then heavy on pitching and outfielders, to help fill out the ranks.

#8 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

I also try to avoid Bleacher Report, but they've been hiring some people who are good at WRITING, and are using all those clicks to generate money and better content. They're becoming a force. Hopefully they don't choose the dark side.

You know what's fantastic about that Bleacher Report mock? It's almost a carbon copy of Perfect Game's Top 30 of their Top 200 rankings (that were done in December). The first 12 names in the draft are the same 12 (only in different order), then dude got lazy at 13 and just listed the next 17 guys in the same order that PG had them. To throw readers off the scent, the 30th pick was actually ranked #44.

I figured it was fishy when they failed to include Mike Matuella, a pitcher from Duke, who BA called an early favorite to go 1.1. Matuella was in the 60's of this list (that was done BEFORE the college season).

#9 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

So what you meant Paul was good at COPYING.

#10 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

Just as long as they don't go heavy on relief pitching...

It will be interesting to see if the Twins end up closer to the middle of the draft next season. A lot of things change at that point. I really liked Shipley, Touki and Holmes the last 2 years but it was too early to pick them at 4/5. Taking them at #13 would have been great. Newcomb was another guy that dropped.

I also would have no problems if they picked another SS. Several of these guys aren't total locks to stick at SS and no team ever said we have too many MI'ers and nobody will trade for them.

#11 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

... Mike Matuella, a pitcher from Duke, who BA called an early favorite to go 1.1. ...

I do love a guy who can throw a good 12-6 curve and a slider, his fastball has good cut and speed, but he needs to work on that change up, he throws it too hard for it to be a useful pitch.

#12 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Which website has the best analysis of the Twins 2014 draft? Outside of Twins Daily of course.

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

Which website has the best analysis of the Twins 2014 draft? Outside of Twins Daily of course.

http://www.sbnation....014-first-round

It's terrific.

#14 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Mayo's top players for 2015:

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...0&vkey=news_mlb

#15 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

Sickles and Crawford are both working on draft write ups. Not sure why the Twins ones will be up but hopefully in the next week or two.

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

I said something similar in the 2014 thread, and was told, that this is the minor league forum... never too early to talk draft :)