Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

It's official: Kubel Designated for Assignment

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

Does anyone wanna take a stab at Gardy's speech when he informed Kubel that he was designated for assignment?

Go ahead, you tell us.

#22 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

Ryan did the stand up thing:

• Phil Miller ‏@MillerStrib 16m
    Ryan said telling Kubel he's being released was hard -- "He's made a lot of big contributions here." He & Kubel go back more than a decade.

#23 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

I recognize that he was not his former self outside of the first two weeks of the season, but this makes me sad.

Outside of Morneau and Nathan, one of my favorite players of the 2000's. Thanks for the memories Kubes.

Edited by Puckett34, 08 June 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,817 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Good luck to Jason. Very fond memories of his play......

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,360 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

Does anyone wanna take a stab at Gardy's speech when he informed Kubel that he was designated for assignment?

I expect it was short and to the point, with thanks for past contributions and for gritting it out through pain this season, and about how this is the part of the job he hates.

#26 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

playing on in the play offs...

• Members
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

The one Kubel moment i witnessed live was 6/10/'09. I was visiting Oakland, and stayin' with a friend within walking distance of the Coliseum. Top of the 8th, Twins down 3-2, Kubel hits a pinch hit home run to tie it, and then in the 9th, the Twins break through to win it.

Went lookin' for a video of it, but i guess it is old enough that they don't have it trivially on mlb.

Kubel is in limbo at most... 10 days? Hopefully he'll land on his feet before then? And there's a slim chance he may end up in Rochester?

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,566 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

Best of luck to him. I think his ML career is over but I wonder if he would go overseas to play?

With $30 million total earnings from baseball and at least one kindergarten age son, I seriously doubt it...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

According to a tweet from FSN's Tyler Mason, the Twins have Designated Jason Kubel for Assignment.

Not a surprise. After such a strong start (2 weeks), he just hasn't hit.

It's hard to see someone who had so much success in a Twins uniform for a long time end up with this fate. It's more annoying to read and hear commenters bashing someone who has done so much for the organization over the years.

Unfortunately he'll likely be remembered most for his playoffs performance in 2009 and 2010. Very sad to think what might have been if not for that freakish knee injury.

Edited by Marta Shearing, 08 June 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#29 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

He made me eat crow at the beginning of this year as he was hitting so well. I didn't think he was worthy of making the team out of spring training. I wish he would have made me eat crow the rest of the season. Was so happy when he was hitting well. Lot;s of great memories and I would guess he will get another chance somewhere else. Might have to prove himself in AAA somewhere first. Wish him the best.

#30 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Trevor May's UCL

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

Who goes down when Fuld is ready? Hicks? Parmelee?

I think Chicken Parm is the clear answer for demotion. Hicks is improving, and even with Fuld, I don't think you can lose Hicks. His BA is just a couple ticks below Pinto going into today...

#31 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Unfortunately he'll likely be remembered most for his playoffs performance in 2009 and 2010. Very sad to think what might have been if not for that freakish knee injury.

Not by me. I'll remember the slam. :)

#32 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,884 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

I think Chicken Parm is the clear answer for demotion. Hicks is improving, and even with Fuld, I don't think you can lose Hicks. His BA is just a couple ticks below Pinto going into today...

I think the plan is to option Hicks. Fuld and Santana can handle center, Hicks can work on facing right handers and maybe he'll be ready if Santana or Escobar fades.

#33 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Trevor May's UCL

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

You're probably right, Hicks probably gets sent to AAA, but I don't think that's the right move. There's plenty of other dead weight on this team. Hicks needs to see major league caliber breaking pitches, and there are probably more of those at AA than AAA. Keep him in the big show, and run him out there 5+ days a week.

#34 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

http://m.mlb.com/video/v8059633/minnyy-kubel-blasts-a-grand-slam-in-the-eighth/?query=kubel+grand+slam

Thanks for posting, Seth. I actually have never seen that, as I was listening to that particular game on a radio in upstate NY. I always assumed that Mariano missed his spot, but he actually put it right where he wanted to...that same cutter running in on the fists that got out so many hitters over the years. Just a great job of hitting by Kubes in his greatest moment. He was terrible this year and this move had to be made, but he was one of the good guys and I will always remember him favorably.

#35 kydoty

kydoty

First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men

• Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

http://m.mlb.com/video/v8059633/minnyy-kubel-blasts-a-grand-slam-in-the-eighth/?query=kubel+grand+slam

I'm partial to this one...

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

#36 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

It seems like Kubel was good for at least one clutch grand slam a season. Lots of good memories.

#37 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

My best guess (starting at :50):

#38 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,360 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

My best guess (starting at :50):

"How do you think *I* feel? Kubes, you're my favorite ballplayer of all time." - R. Clyde Gardenhire, June 2014

#39 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

"How do you think *I* feel? Kubes, you're my favorite ballplayer of all time." - R. Clyde Gardenhire, June 2014

"My friend Scotty offered me a Nicky Punto and a Matty Guerrier card for you and I wouldn't do it!"

#40 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,621 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

I don't think we've seen the last of Kubel. The Twins have got to be among the best teams at retaining a relationship with their past players. Coaching, advising or broadcasting, it seems the team will always find room for an ex player if the player is interested in sticking with baseball.