Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Game 25 - Twins @ Seattle - 5/4/12

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Twins Lineup: Denard Span CF Jamey Carroll SS Joe Mauer DH Josh Willingham LF Ryan Doumit RF Danny Valencia 3B Chris Parmelee 1B Alexi Casilla 2B Drew Butera C SP: Carl Pavano

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

Let the whining about Drew Butera getting to play commence, I guess!! :)

#3 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

Well, he might be a better defensive catcher that Doumit.

#4 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

And he'll probably strike out less than Clete!

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

I doubt Plouffe ever gets enough at bats this year to get a good read on him. I don't get it, at this point....he should be in RF for a few weeks in a row. As for Butera, one start is ok, let's see how many he gets...

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#6 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

With Willingham having come over from a team that plays the Mariners 18ish times a year, does anyone know his average against Vargas?

#7 IronMike

IronMike

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

With Mauer, Doumit & Butera in the lineup I would feel a little safer if we had another catcher on the bench.

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

With Willingham having come over from a team that plays the Mariners 18ish times a year, does anyone know his average against Vargas?

Hitless with one HBP in 12 PAs
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

So basically the question that Gardy/Stevie had was Plouffe vs. Butera. Plouffe has .857 OPS vs Vargas and Buterror .283 (OPS not OBP or SLG). Both with 7 PAs. Well done! Someone should just DFA the guy, otherwise there is no way he does not play. Also thought that Morney was available... Why not C Mauer and DH Morney. Tomorrow Komatchu will be around...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

With Mauer, Doumit & Butera in the lineup I would feel a little safer if we had another catcher on the bench.

Bwahaaaaahaaaaa! Love it!
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#11 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,620 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

So basically the question that Gardy/Stevie had was Plouffe vs. Butera. Plouffe has .857 OPS vs Vargas and Buterror .283 (OPS not OBP or SLG). Both with 7 PAs. Well done! Someone should just DFA the guy, otherwise there is no way he does not play.

Also thought that Morney was available... Why not C Mauer and DH Morney. Tomorrow Komatchu will be around...

Let's not forget that Pavano is pitching. He has always said that he like throwing to Butera. I don't know if Son of Sal can make his fastball zip a few more MPH, but if Butera is going to catch, today is probably the day.

Morneau has been out since Monday, will it be another several days? If so, maybe they should have DLed him. Mauer hasn't caught since Sunday--this to me is starting to sound like last year all over again..

#12 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

So basically the question that Gardy/Stevie had was Plouffe vs. Butera. Plouffe has .857 OPS vs Vargas and Buterror .283 (OPS not OBP or SLG). Both with 7 PAs. Well done! Someone should just DFA the guy, otherwise there is no way he does not play.

Also thought that Morney was available... Why not C Mauer and DH Morney. Tomorrow Komatchu will be around...

I agree, this came down to Plouffe and Butera, Evidently Gardy was not happy with the play of select players, I guess Plouffe is now in the doghouse. How else do you explain this?

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Bwahaaaaahaaaaa! Love it!

Willingham is the emergency catcher. Oh, drat, he's in the lineup too. What will they do?????

Edited by ashburyjohn, 04 May 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

Morneau has been out since Monday, will it be another several days? If so, maybe they should have DLed him. Mauer hasn't caught since Sunday--this to me is starting to sound like last year all over again..

Morneau was "Friday at the earliest". It's Friday, I guess he's not quite right yet. Could well turn out to have been a mistake to not DL him; let's wait and see. Mauer took a foul off the knee and hasn't been behind the plate since; likewise, let's see if this drags on or if it's just another day or two, although the fact he's able to bat and run suggests it shouldn't be much longer.

#15 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

Okay, going to be optimistic and call a 6-4 Twins victory with a 2 ER/7 IP quality start from the mustache, and Doumit as my pick to click (sorry) 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R. Willingham solo homers.

#16 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

MLB.com's Brittany Ghiroli reports the Orioles plan to sign free agent 3B/SS Miguel Tejada if he can pass a Monday physical.

#17 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

Drew has a wiff!!!!!

#18 TwinVike61

TwinVike61

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Was Butera's at-bat as bad as it looked on Gameday? 3 89 mph strikes in the wheel house without even a swing?

#19 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Butera's first AB? 3 pitches, 3 called strikes. Oh, the thick unsubtle irony (or is that anti-ironic?).

#20 Scheherezade

Scheherezade

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Butera showed some discipline at the plate. He took the first three pitches... for strikes.

#21 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

let the whining about drew butera getting to play commence, i guess!! :)

you said he wouldn't get many at bats as a 3rd catcher!!!!!

#22 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

The Twins are to only organization dense enough to give Butera at bats at ANY level. This guy should be employed at McDonalds and should not be allowed within 10 miles of a bat.

#23 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

POP out for Butera on the first pitch.

#24 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

If I were at the ballpark, I would have boo'ed.

#25 mhanson93

mhanson93

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

Well, now it's 1-0 Mariners. That should just about be enough run support to lock up the win for them. :mad:

#26 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

Had Valencia been on the bag, Carrol's diving stop would have been an out.

#27 gil4

gil4

Not Irrationally Optimistic Anymore (til next year)

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

Will the Twins ever score again? If the over/under is the 6th inning tomorrow, which do you take?

#28 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Will the Twins ever score again? If the over/under is the 6th inning tomorrow, which do you take?

The radio crew was trying to figure out what the record was for most innings without scoring.

#29 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

The radio crew was trying to figure out what the record was for most innings without scoring.

The record for most consecutive innings shut out is 48 by the 1906 philadelphia A's and also the 69 cubs... Also the most games being shut-out consecutively is 4 which has been accomplished 11 times most recently by the same 69 cubs only reason there is so many innings is because i believe one of those shutouts went like 21 innings or something

Edited by asmus_ndsu, 04 May 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#30 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

Plouffe replaces Butera..