Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Report: Twins Agree to Sign Kendrys Morales

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#161 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:56 AM

Not to burst everybody's bubble on Pinto, but have you actually looked at what he has been batting recently. While he started off hot (April .246BA 5HR), he has cooled off since (May .208BA 2HR) (June .154BA 0HR).

With the upcoming loss of plate appearances due to the Morales signing, now may be the time to send Pinto to AAA to work on his defense, which needs work. He could also work on getting out of his slump.

I'm not suggesting this is the move to make room for Morales, but it should be considered as well. The Morales roster move should involve Parmalee as he is the DH/1B/OF player that he would be taking the most playing time from. So once again Parmalee will be exposed to waivers. Had he been left at AAA to begin with, he would at least have had some trade value since he would not be required to remain on the receiving team's 25 man roster.

#162 PuckettProtector

PuckettProtector

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:08 AM

Morales also hit 3rd or 4th just about every game he played for the Mariners last year. With Santana leading off and Dozier hitting second, could this bump Mauer back down the lineup?

1 - Santana
2 - Dozier
3 - Morales
4 - Willingham
5 - Arcia
6 - Plouffe
7 - Mauer
8 - Suzuki/Pinto
9 - Escobar

That is a damn sexy lineup.

ALL THE YES. While we're at it, can we put Deduno in the bullpen, cut Correia loose, and bring up May and Meyer?

#163 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:45 AM

Very much hoping that Pinto gets sent to AAA, for his own sake. The additional ABs he gets in Rochester are an investment in his future.

#164 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:30 AM

Nice to see twins are trying.

#165 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

ALL THE YES. While we're at it, can we put Deduno in the bullpen, cut Correia loose, and bring up May and Meyer?

If you add in Meyer and May with Morales I think the needle tips just over the "more likely than not to make the playoffs" line. It might still only be at 51%, but how cool is that?

#166 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:10 AM

Damn good player they're getting here. Hopefully he can get himself ready fairly quickly.

#167 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

Some notes...

Morales' projections of OPS ranged from 744 (zips) to 795 (steamer) and 0.5 to 1.5 WAR on a full season. Twin DHs have an OPS of 860 this year. Twin first basemen have an OPS of 649.

Morales will not be eligible for a qualifying offer at the end of the season. He will be able to seek a multiyear deal without being tied to compensation.

Free agents signed in the winter can not be traded until June 15. I don't think there is any other restriction on trading Morales.

Edited by jorgenswest, 08 June 2014 - 07:49 AM.

#168 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

Love the move, a little disappointed that I didn't have access to a computer yesterday to join in on the fun.
Just wonder if there are other moves (beyond simply making roster room) in the works.

#169 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

Love the move and it gives more meaning to today's game (which I will be at:)) as the Twins are showing a desire to win.....NOW!!:go:!!

#170 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

If you add in Meyer and May with Morales I think the needle tips just over the "more likely than not to make the playoffs" line. It might still only be at 51%, but how cool is that?

That might move the needle from 5% to 7%.

#171 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 6,378 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Awesome. Kudos to the Twins. Hopefully this helps to spark a 2nd half run.

#172 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

That might move the needle from 5% to 7%.

It seems as if you don't like the Twins, or their chances to win this season...

#173 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 5,711 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

It seems as if you don't like the Twins, or their chances to win this season...

Ok I'll bite. There are apparently very few of us who responded with "meh" to this signing. But we still like the Twins..

I like the discussion about Pinto that this signing has generated. I agree that maybe he's on his way back to AAA for a while, and that's probably for the best, but I'm not sure how I feel about that, given the Pinto discussion earlier this spring.

I get a sense that the majority of TD posters are just happy because this is an additional signal that the Twins are committed to winning in the present, and enjoying a pennant chase for a while, rather than this being the final move that puts us over the hump. Do I have that right? Or can this signing genuinely move us from 85 to 88 wins? Or given how the standings look as of June 8, is 85 wins enough to make the playoffs? Is there anything else the FO should do to get us there? Anything else the manager can do? The players? Just some more ideas to bring to the table.

#174 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

So that takes care of the line up hole now we just need a better starting pitcher and either 1 bullpen arm or one more reliever. Burton had 2 bad outings then 20 great one then a couple of so-so outings and... if he can rebound and continue to be an ok middle reliever then fine. I don't worry about a relievers era as much as how many games they are pitching in without giving up runs or allowing inherited runners to score. I think we are so close to being a contender.

I will assay the frustrating thing with Corriea is that he pitches 5 or 6 innings and gives up 3 or 4 runs with the occasional blow out and only 1 really good game (it was against the Yanks so bonus points) but we should expect better production. if Corriea is not going to be at least around .500 with that era then he needs to go. the other pitchers in the minor leagues are more likely to be the same or better.

#175 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

The Twins have apparently signed him. New DH or sign that Arcia's injury is significant?

http://www.mlbtrader...e-to-terms.html

Arcia in the lineup today.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#176 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

Ok I'll bite. There are apparently very few of us who responded with "meh" to this signing. But we still like the Twins..

I like the discussion about Pinto that this signing has generated. I agree that maybe he's on his way back to AAA for a while, and that's probably for the best, but I'm not sure how I feel about that, given the Pinto discussion earlier this spring.

I get a sense that the majority of TD posters are just happy because this is an additional signal that the Twins are committed to winning in the present, and enjoying a pennant chase for a while, rather than this being the final move that puts us over the hump. Do I have that right? Or can this signing genuinely move us from 85 to 88 wins? Or given how the standings look as of June 8, is 85 wins enough to make the playoffs? Is there anything else the FO should do to get us there? Anything else the manager can do? The players? Just some more ideas to bring to the table.

No one is saying this is the final piece. Just a step in the right direction. Incidentally, it also shows a greater willingness to jettison sunk costs. I am sad for Kubel, but he will make $3M to watch from the couch this year. Correia should be on notice.

Lost in all this is the man taking the questions at the press conference. Terry Ryan was front and center and appears to be back at the helm. Hopefully this is the first of several moves by the Commodore.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#177 twinssouth

twinssouth

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

Achter sure. But if they're going for it, he's one of many superior options to Burton, if they're really going to be all-in, they should also look to a "limited innings" Meyer in a set-up relief role (Gardy as much as wet his pants in ST over the possibility of using Alex in that role).

Awesome idea. After seeing Meyer last night on limited pitch count, I can definitely see this happening later in the year. My Gosh, he'd be lights out and get his feet wet in majors at same time. Great idea jokin

#178 Sconnie

Sconnie

C'mon Falvine douse the fire

• Members
  • 2,492 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Morales is active and with the club. Might he pinch hit today?

#179 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 15,336 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

Lost in all this is the man taking the questions at the press conference. Terry Ryan was front and center and appears to be back at the helm. Hopefully this is the first of several moves by the Commodore.

Ryan also commented that he was at about 80%, and that Morales is probably sooner to be 100% sooner than him. But yes ... he's getting there.

#180 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

Incidentally, it also shows a greater willingness to jettison sunk costs.

I think a pretty clear directive came down from the Pohlads in the off-season that management had gotten a little too conservative.

Not that I ever expect Ryan to be a free spender but I think he did have to adjust to the fact that the budget constraints aren't identical to those in the days of the Dome.