Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Valencia Available?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

From Jayson Stark's new Rumblings and Grumblings article, there was a nugget regarding Valencia potentially being available:

If the Rays and Giants decide to shop for third basemen to replace Evan Longoria and Pablo Sandoval, we wish them luck. The only potentially available names we've heard, for now, are the Orioles' Mark Reynolds (31 strikeouts, 9 hits, 0 homers so far) and the Twins' Danny Valencia (.244/.250/.372).
One exec on the Rays: "They're looking for more of a versatility guy they might be able to move into another role after Longoria comes back."

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Versatility guy? Howzabout Plouffe? :)

#3 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

unfortuneately, its a double edge sword. There is no value for him right now with how he's playing (or anyone to replace him). If he gets hot & increases his trade value, then TRyan wont want to trade him as a RH bat is of value in this organization (as well as 3B).

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Well than maybe Carroll's their guy. He can play anywhere in the infield, a definate Rays kind of player. I'm beyond exasperated that the Twins only shop their players when they are at their lowest value. Young, Hardy, Slowey and Lohse should all have fetched better returns but they all got moved when they were at rock bottom with the club and the 29 other GM's knew that Gardenhire wanted them gone. In his young career, July has been Valencia's best month by far. Wait it out and trade him at the deadline, even if the trend doesn't continue his value won't be any different than it is today. Additionally, Gardy needs to be instructed to only speak highly of possible trade chips from here on out. Telling the world they are a clubhouse cancer or lazy isn't a good negotiation tactic.

#5 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

Carroll would be a decent pick-up for any team...because he can move into the super utility role. The Twins could happily cut his salary if given the opportunity.

#6 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

I'm beyond exasperated that the Twins only shop their players when they are at their lowest value. Young, Hardy, Slowey and Lohse should all have fetched better returns but they all got moved when they were at rock bottom with the club and the 29 other GM's knew that Gardenhire wanted them gone.

In his young career, July has been Valencia's best month by far. Wait it out and trade him at the deadline, even if the trend doesn't continue his value won't be any different than it is today. Additionally, Gardy needs to be instructed to only speak highly of possible trade chips from here on out. Telling the world they are a clubhouse cancer or lazy isn't a good negotiation tactic.

---There have been examples of the Twins making bad decisions to sell low, but Young is the only name on that list I agree with. In 2010, you had the sense Young might be peaking. Lohse and Slowey had their moments, but neither was ever all that great. I don't know what you think we could have gotten for them. Hardy was only here for a year. I doubt he would have fetched much more during the season than after it. The guy I'd add to your list is Liriano, I would have tried to move him last year after his no-no.

And as far for the anti-Gardy rant:

1) I don't ever recall Gardy calling anyone 'lazy' or a 'clubhouse cancer'. In fact, he usually gets ridiculed for saying more good things about players than they deserve.
2) He's a manager. His job to to manage the team. Not to be a publicist for the players and hype their trade value.
3) When assessing potential trade targets, teams rely on a lot of other things a lot more than soundbites from managers. What Gardy says has a negligible if any impact on potential trades.

#7 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Bunch them up like carrots a trade dem for a quarter.

#8 fittdogg

fittdogg

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Trade Valencia? For a bucket of balls?

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

---There have been examples of the Twins making bad decisions to sell low, but Young is the only name on that list I agree with. In 2010, you had the sense Young might be peaking. Lohse and Slowey had their moments, but neither was ever all that great. I don't know what you think we could have gotten for them. Hardy was only here for a year. I doubt he would have fetched much more during the season than after it. The guy I'd add to your list is Liriano, I would have tried to move him last year after his no-no.

And as far for the anti-Gardy rant:

1) I don't ever recall Gardy calling anyone 'lazy' or a 'clubhouse cancer'. In fact, he usually gets ridiculed for saying more good things about players than they deserve.
2) He's a manager. His job to to manage the team. Not to be a publicist for the players and hype their trade value.
3) When assessing potential trade targets, teams rely on a lot of other things a lot more than soundbites from managers. What Gardy says has a negligible if any impact on potential trades.

When Nathan went down in the spring if 2010 there was actually a rumor of a Slowey for CJ Wilson. The Twins were reported to want more than Wilson who was the set up guy at the time. The Rangers smartly decided to move Wilson to the rotation while the Twins held Slowey until his value was basicly nil. In Lohse's case he was lights out every spring and all the baseball wonks would always say this is his breakout year, he was much like Baker today. Every April Lohse would fall apart and finally the Twins decided to give him away after a highly publicized spring blow up with Gardy who had no problem dicussing Lohse using a bat on the manager's door if memory serves. Hardy had one injury filled but defensively positive season with the Twins. His salary was the main reason for his departure but his value was at an all time low and Gardy's well known criticism about his reluctance to go the other way didn't help.

Edited by nicksaviking, 04 May 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#10 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

Once again trading a serviceable piece of the puzzle at their lowest value.

#11 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

Twins sent OF Clete Thomas outright to Triple-A Rochester. Thomas was designated for assignment Friday but has cleared waivers and will remain with the organization. Given his woeful performance with the Twins, it's unlikely we'll see him again anytime soon.

#12 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

I hate Valencia, but c'mon! Trading him is one of the worst moves you could make.

#13 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

Versatility guy? Howzabout Plouffe? :)

Sucking equally at everything is probably not the kind of versatility they are looking for

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

When Nathan went down in the spring if 2010 there was actually a rumor of a Slowey for CJ Wilson. The Twins were reported to want more than Wilson who was the set up guy at the time. The Rangers smartly decided to move Wilson to the rotation while the Twins held Slowey until his value was basicly nil.

I don't remember a Slowey/Wilson rumor of any kind. By the time Nathan got hurt, in ST, the Rangers had already plugged Wilson into their rotation. MLBtraderumors doesn't mention any sort of Wilson/Slowey rumor and they list almost anything that gets mentioned.

#15 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

Does Carroll have a good enough arm to play third base? And I agree with those who feel that it would be better to wait until Valencia has more value and the Twins have someone decent to replace him at third base.