Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins Day 2 Draft Picks (Rounds 3-10)

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...s-(Rounds-3-10)

#2 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

More pitching!

#3 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Powerful right hander. Get it, Twins!

#4 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

I see the bullpen in the Buxton Sano years ahead, and it looks hard throwing. More good value. Liking this draft a lot so far.

#5 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

Just a heads-up, I'll continue to modify as I get more information. For example, my outlook on Cederoth's future has changed based on what I've been told.

#6 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Just a heads-up, I'll continue to modify as I get more information. For example, my outlook on Cederoth's future has changed based on what I've been told.

Oooh, do tell us more!

#7 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Oooh, do tell us more!

Just that being a starter is not an impossibility.

#8 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

The Clay pick surprises me. In some ways it seems it could be to save money but he's a sophomore so he has a lot of leverage if he wants to go back to school.

I'm ok with the Cederoth pick even with Burdi.

#9 Buxtano Meywart

Buxtano Meywart

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

Wow! Not liking that 4th round pick one bit. Was a 2 sport athlete who didn't focus on baseball until college and really raw because of it, doesn't have overpowering stuff and is most likely a reliever who has 2 years of eligibility left and may not even sign to begin with. Although, being taken at least 50 spots sooner than he should have may help... *rolls eyes* there's the typical Twins pick we're all used to!

#10 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Clay seems like a reach, based on the rankings he's a round early. Twins saving dollars or just like the guy, or think someone behind them likes him?

#11 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

Clay seems like a reach, based on the rankings he's a round early. Twins saving dollars or just like the guy, or think someone behind them likes him?

I'm working on this one....

#12 SarasotaBill

SarasotaBill

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Ryan said they needed LHP.

Hopefully their GA scout does better here than with Bard.

#13 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

MLB.com has more info on the players in their draft section.

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...p#ft=round&fv=3

#14 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

on sam clay this is what MLB.com had to say

6'3" 208lbs DOB: 06/21/93Clay was a two-sport star in high school and didn’t pitch much for the Yellow Jackets as a freshman, as he began concentrating on baseball for the first time. He took on a larger role in the bullpen this spring, becoming one of their most important relievers. Clay’s fastball typically sits in the low-90s and touches a bit higher. He complements it with a hard slider that flashes above-average potential. Primarily, Clay is a two-pitch pitcher, but he also throws a curveball and changeup at times. Though he has enough stuff to start, he is still somewhat raw and will need to improve his control. Clay is a Draft-eligible sophomore and would have two more years of eligibility if he chooses to return to school.

#15 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

What are the criteria to become draft eligible sophomore? Redshirt year?

#16 HansGruber

HansGruber

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Another reliever? Hope the Twins know what they are doing but seems very odd for the team to invest 4 of its top five picks on likely relievers.

#17 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

Another reliever from college in round 5

[TABLE="class: play, width: 970"]
[TR="class: playerlistlarge full drafted"]
[TD="class: playername"]Reed, Jake[/TD]
[TD="class: school"]Oregon (OR)[/TD]
[TD="class: position"]RHP[/TD]
[TD="class: batsthrows"]R/R[/TD]
[TD="class: class, align: center"]JR[/TD]
[TD="class: comments"]6'2" 190lbs DOB: 09/29/92 | Posted ImageScouting videoA starter during his first two years at Oregon, Reed moved into the closer role in 2014 and really took off. The right-handed reliever has a ton of arm strength and can crank it up into the mid 90s with plus life, coming in on the hands of right-handed hitters. His slider is a hard slurve that is a strikeout pitch when Reed commands it well. He has a below-average changeup, but in short relief, he doesn't really need it. Considering he's new at the gig, Reed has adjusted to it seamlessly, showing the kind of aggressive mindset you like from closers. All things point to him being a quick-to-the-big-leagues-type reliever.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

#18 rickyriolo

rickyriolo

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

Looks like we have enough closers now. Can we draft some LH starting pitchers please?

#19 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

I know this was talked about in another thread but Demuth a top 10 Twins pick from a year or two ago that didn't sign was drafted in the 5th round by the Mariners

#20 rickyriolo

rickyriolo

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Demuth drafted in 2013 by the Twins in the 8th round. So looks like he improved his draft stock

#21 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

How many of these hard-throwers get moved to starters, and waste 2-3 years in the minors THIS time?

#22 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

What are the criteria to become draft eligible sophomore? Redshirt year?

You have to turn 21 at a point before the draft.

#23 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

Demuth drafted in 2013 by the Twins in the 8th round. So looks like he improved his draft stock

but as a 23 y.o. college senior, he significantly lowered his leverage and will likely wind up signing for what he was offered last year.

#24 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

twins need to take some high ceiling prepsters in rounds 6-10 or this draft is subpar, imo.

#25 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Curtiss, another closer/hopeful starter.

#26 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

[TABLE="class: play, width: 970"]
[TR="class: playerlistlarge full drafted"]
[TD="class: playername"]Curtiss, John[/TD]
[TD="class: school"]Texas (TX)[/TD]
[TD="class: position"]RHP[/TD]
[TD="class: batsthrows"]R/R[/TD]
[TD="class: class, align: center"]JR[/TD]
[TD="class: comments"]6'4" 205lbs DOB: 04/05/93 | Posted ImageScouting videoCurtiss could have been a third-round pick out of a Texas high school in 2011 had he been willing to turn pro, but he was set on becoming a Longhorn. The most highly regarded arm in a deep Texas recruiting class, he had Tommy John surgery after his freshman season and missed all of 2013, when he also had a rib removed to alleviate thoracic outlet syndrome. He has come back strong as a closer as a redshirt sophomore this spring and should return to starting again in 2015. Curtiss has regained the velocity on his fastball, which sits at 92-94 mph and peaks at 96, and he uses his 6-foot-5 frame to throw his heater on a steep downhill plane. He still can run his slider up into the 80s, though it can get slurvy and he battles his command with it. Pitchers who have their elbows reconstructed often need time to get back their consistency and command of their secondary pitches, so his slider should get better. Because he's working in relief, Curtiss hasn't found much need for a changeup, which will require plenty of work when he joins the rotation. A potential No. 2 or 3 starter if everything comes together, he's also highly intelligent and graduated from Texas in three years with a double major in English and history[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

#27 benji21

benji21

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

Sometimes I feel like its hard to be a fan of twins drafting. Climbing aboard the relief pitching train again in a deep HS start in pitchers draft?? Right.... Of coarse I'm not privy to their info bit sometimes you don't need to be. I disliked it when they did this last time and that strategy proved awful. Looking at you chargois, bard et al. Oh well that's the Twins

#28 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

So far I like the odds of us getting 3 players to the majors from this draft and contributing.

#29 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

So rounds 2-6 we have 2 definite relievers and 3 maybe starters but could end up relievers? Eh, not too bad, I wish we would get some position players though or high upside high schoolers although those guys rarely amount to much if they sign

#30 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

I like the academics for Curtiss at least. And he is the one who might truly be able to start. The rest . . . not likely.