Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Nick Gordon: Beyond the Bloodlines

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:00 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-the-Bloodlines

#2 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

I'm very optimistic about this kid after listening to him speak. He seems to get it. The Twins certainly nabbed the top positional player on their draft board, and saw him enough to confirm that. There's a lot to like here.

#3 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

I am thrilled with this selection. I understand there are no guarantees, but his baseball skills, his supportive family, and his positive attitude are all so very important. Plus he is a SHORTSTOP, arguably the most difficult position to fill. Great selection Twins. To quote Deron Johnson: "We got our man!"

#4 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

I really enjoy that everyone predicts he will stick at SS as well, which is awesome.

#5 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

Sounds like a perfect top of the draft pick. Seems to have the downside of an average hitter with plus defense and the upside of a complete hitter with some power and still a good defender. Obviously a lot can change but like the high ceiling this guy appears to have along with what looks like a fairly high floor. Should at the very least contribute at some point to the major league team and has the chance to be a cornerstone type guy.

#6 ShouldaCouldaWoulda

ShouldaCouldaWoulda

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

I think that if he attempts to change his swing to be more of a power hitter that it would hurt him in the end. Target Field does not play well for left handers, unless you have raw power like Arcia. This kid will have to really connect to hit bombs there and would pop out a lot if he makes hitting HR's a priority.

#7 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

I don't think he'll change his swing to try to hit HR's. He thinks he can hit 20-25 a year, that's a number that is achievable without any changes. 10-15 may be a more realistic number, but if he hits .285 and steals 25-30 bases a year to go with those 10-15 HR's and plus defense, I think everyone, including critics/cynics on this website, will be extremely happy.

#8 rukavina

rukavina

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

The guys on MLB radio gush about make-up and instincts, reinforcing the belief that he will have a very long career. The improvement he shows in hitting and power will determine where in the order he will hit - lead-off, second or in the bottom third. If he hits with power, the Twins will be paying him a bunch of money to keep him post-arb.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

I don't think he'll change his swing to try to hit HR's. He thinks he can hit 20-25 a year, that's a number that is achievable without any changes. 10-15 may be a more realistic number, but if he hits .285 and steals 25-30 bases a year to go with those 10-15 HR's and plus defense, I think everyone, including critics/cynics on this website, will be extremely happy.

For sure. That's a guy you sign to a long-term deal, especially with his patience and ability to get on base.

#10 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

If, heaven forbid, Gordon turns into a bust, I'll try to remember not to rip the Twins for selecting him. I would have picked him as well.

Anyway, kudos to the Twins for agreeing with me.

#11 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,758 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

And no, Flash takes no offense to the fact that Nick lists another MLB player as his favorite. It was the same way with Dee.

"My oldest said, 'Daddy, you wouldn't be mad at me if Jimmy Rollins was my favorite player, would you?'" Tom Gordon said, laughing. "I said, 'No, as long as he's not your favorite father.' I think that helped Nick build up the nerve to tell me Derek Jeter is his favorite player."

http://espn.go.com/m...ordon-emotional

Sounds like a great family. Look forward to seeing what how he develops.

#12 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

If, heaven forbid, Gordon turns into a bust, I'll try to remember not to rip the Twins for selecting him. I would have picked him as well.

Anyway, kudos to the Twins for agreeing with me.

I wish more people would try to remember that stuff. I often wonder what the archives would look like for people saying we should have signed Morneau or shouldn't have signed Mauer. I remember plenty saying Lohse was not good and Cuddyer was worthless not to mention comments about Gomez, Crain and Dickey.

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

I still cannot believe that the Twins passed over Alex Jackson to sign Nick Gordon. I don't think that he will be a bust, but he will be the only top 5 draft pick for a while to not make his team's top 5 prospect list or even his team's top 10 prospect list in some lists. It speaks about the strength of the Twins' system, but I think that Jackson would had been in the Twins top 5 prospects.

Wishing Nick the best and to prove me wrong :)

#14 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

I wish more people would try to remember that stuff. I often wonder what the archives would look like for people saying we should have signed Morneau or shouldn't have signed Mauer. I remember plenty saying Lohse was not good and Cuddyer was worthless not to mention comments about Gomez, Crain and Dickey.

Cuddyer is in the perfect place to hit. I remember complaining on how he liked to swing and miss at sliders low and away. I liked Gomez but I didnt mind that they traded him for Hardy. I didn't like that trade getting rid of Hardy. I didnt mind Crain leaving. He was good but he wasnt that important. Dickey I was indifferent and still am.