Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Don Zimmer and the HOF

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

I have to admit, I was very saddened to hear about the passing of Don Zimmer.

Maybe I am feeling a bit melancholy because of this event, but because of Zimmer's contributions to the game of Major League Baseball the last 66 years, I believe there is a place for him the HOF - not as a player, or as a manager, but as a teacher and ambassador of Major League Baseball.

Don Zimmer, seemingly has seen it all, and he has picked the minds of Pre-Golden aged Greats, Golden aged Greats and the greats that followed them. His dedication and his passion for baseball stand alone - not to forget, he has been a strong part in Historical events in the MLB.

Don Zimmer's dedication and teachings exemplifies the spirit of baseball and he should be given the greatest honor a baseball man deserves.... induction into the Hall of Fame.

Don Zimmer is the essence of MLB.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

I agree. I think there are a number of baseball lifers whose combined work with MLB should be recognized. Buck O'Niel, Jim Kaat, Don Zimmer etc.

#3 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

I agree. I think there are a number of baseball lifers whose combined work with MLB should be recognized. Buck O'Niel, Jim Kaat, Don Zimmer etc.

I am dumbfounded that Buck O'Neill is not in the HOF. I believe Jim Kaat eventually gets in as a player with the Veteran's Committee. I hope O'Neill gets in as I wish for Zimmer - as an All-Time Great Ambassador to Baseball.

Buck O'Neill is a legend!

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#4 tcgolbar

tcgolbar

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

he is in the HOF, larger than most

http://baseballhall....ards/buck-oneil

#5 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

Zimmer seems like he would be a fitting nominee for the Buck O'Neil award . . .