Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Select Nick Burdi in the 2nd round

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#41 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

He throws super hard and has a violent delivery, with poor command. There's no guarantee he'll stay healthy long enough to even make it to the Twins (see, e.g., JT Chargois) or do much once he's there.

That's my problem with it - there's limited upside due to his relief role, yet still a good amount of risk. It's not necessarily a bad bet purely in WAR terms, but it's a missed opportunity to add depth at a more important position.

#42 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 6,541 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:39 AM

Is his command that bad? His K/BB ratio is 58/10 in 33.1 innings.

#43 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

100 mph on the radar gun. That's all I need to hear. I know, I know...the ball has to have some movement and must go where the pitcher throws it and there must be at least one other pitch...but I say: Great second round pick at # 46. Bring on the heat!

#44 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

Willi: Thanks for making your point with facts. May I remind everyone the following: "100 mph on the radar gun!"

#45 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

Well I'm not a scout, but that's what Law and some other analysts have said.

Command is different from control... the latter refers to the ability to avoid walks, while the former refers to the ability to specifically locate pitches, whether in or out of the strike zone. Burdi can just blow away college hitters without really worrying about location too much.

#46 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

He throws super hard and has a violent delivery, with poor command. There's no guarantee he'll stay healthy long enough to even make it to the Twins (see, e.g., JT Chargois) or do much once he's there.

That's my problem with it - there's limited upside due to his relief role, yet still a good amount of risk. It's not necessarily a bad bet purely in WAR terms, but it's a missed opportunity to add depth at a more important position.

Whenever they draft a pitcher, my first thought is "see you in 6-7 years after you struggle for a few years in Low A ball then have TJ surgery". We've kind of been conditioned to feel this way. Every day I pick up the paper I'm expecting to read Kohl Stewart is having elbow soreness.

#47 mk

mk

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

At first I was not excited about a reliever in the 2nd round thinking they don't carry as much value. But now I'm remembering how much the Twins were willing to give away for Matt Capps. How much would you have given up to get Drew Storen when those rumors were circling around a couple years back?

With a big fastball, if he's MLB ready very soon he could be a very valuable trade chip sooner rather than later.

#48 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 6,629 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

Whenever they draft a pitcher, my first thought is "see you in 6-7 years after you struggle for a few years in Low A ball then have TJ surgery". We've kind of been conditioned to feel this way.

And which pitchers have met that description?

#49 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...n-the-2nd-round

In 2013 only 9 pitchers in all of major league baseball threw pitches faster than 101 mph. www.efastball.com/baseball/stats/fastest-pitch. It was reported Burdi threw 103 mph this year and threw over 100 mph occasionally. Only A. Chapman topped 103 in 2013. Burdi's strikeout to walk ratio was outstanding this year. I know, I know...there are no guarantees, but that is true with any player selected in the draft, especially pitchers. I also think a flame thrower who occasionally goes over 100 mph which registers on the scoreboard draws the attention of the crowd, excites his teammates, and the opposition notices too...and says, "Man he is really bringing some serious heat". I contend that helps the flame thrower's team psychologically. Burdi's selection at #46 was a steal.

#50 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

I love this pick. The fact that Burdi was rated so highly on boards as a relief pitcher, should tell you a lot.

I think there are a few organizations that would have him pitching in the majors before the end of the year like the White Sox did with Chris Sale.

The 100 MPH heat is awesome, but I like the 90MPH slider even better!

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#51 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

K's and BB's don't always tell you a lot about a player's command. It's easily possible that college hitters would swing at pitches on and off the plate because he has a 100/90mph fastball/slider. The good thing is that MLB hitters MIGHT also swing at everything he throws.

#52 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

Overweight 3rd baseman

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

Well I'm not a scout, but that's what Law and some other analysts have said.

Command is different from control... the latter refers to the ability to avoid walks, while the former refers to the ability to specifically locate pitches, whether in or out of the strike zone. Burdi can just blow away college hitters without really worrying about location too much.

I agree with you on the command vs control issue. BUT, this guy has a .125 BAA and isn't walking people at a terrible rate. 100mph heat is hard to hit period. There is less need to paint the corners when nearly every heater is over 97! Fast fastballs can even cut the plate in half and its harder to hit than a Correia 88mph "heater" on the black. Fast is still fast. His numbers DO support this (low walks, low BAA). You can't hit what you can't see.

#53 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

I agree with you on the command vs control issue. BUT, this guy has a .125 BAA and isn't walking people at a terrible rate. 100mph heat is hard to hit period. There is less need to paint the corners when nearly every heater is over 97! Fast fastballs can even cut the plate in half and its harder to hit than a Correia 88mph "heater" on the black. Fast is still fast. His numbers DO support this (low walks, low BAA). You can't hit what you can't see.

None of this means his command is good. Let's call it effectively wild.

#54 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Very high.

Seth, do you have any idea of whether the Twins view him as a starter or reliever?

My two cents. If the guy has an 80 fastball and a 60 slider. Why not throw him in Low A or rookie leauges and tell him to throw 25 change ups a game and try and start him?

We have a good pen right now and the other day I looked and we have 6 relievers in Rochester with a sub 3.00 (including Tonkin, Achter, and Guerra). We have Pino and Johnson starting and both could move to the pen.

While I concede that none have the upside as this guy. It would seem that this guy would have at least a 60-65 fastball as a starter. So you have a plus fastball and a plus slider, if he develops an average change up you have 200 innings of a #2 starter at least.

If he ends up being a set up guy or closer, I don't view this as a wasted pick. Between 2000 and 2014, only four of our 2nd round picks have played for the Twins. Crain, Swarzak, Baker, and Slowey.

Edited by tobi0040, 06 June 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#55 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 6,629 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Seth, do you have any idea of whether the Twins view him as a starter or reliever?

My two cents. If the guy has an 80 fastball and a 60 slider. Why not throw him in Low A or rookie leauges and tell him to throw 25 change ups a game and try and start him?

I asked that question in a KLaw chat a couple days ago before we even drafted him (b/c I was really hoping he'd be there!). Klaw said something like his pitches might not be 80 if he has to throw 100 pitches/game and concern about mechanics.

#56 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 13,111 posts
  • LocationFort Myers FL

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

Can we throw in Mike Pelfrey?

Yes, but then you'd have to add Duensing to sweeten the deal.

#57 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

I asked that question in a KLaw chat a couple days ago before we even drafted him (b/c I was really hoping he'd be there!). Klaw said something like his pitches might not be 80 if he has to throw 100 pitches/game and concern about mechanics.

Interesting. I will take a 95-96 mph heater and a 60 slider over the course of 200 IP. The upside is too large not to attempt it in my opinon. No reason he can't go back to throwing gas if it doesn't work out.

#58 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

Twins mentioned to Burdi they had one guy ahead of him on the board who went shortly before him. I'm guessing Kentucky LHP AJ Reed.

#59 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

Twins mentioned to Burdi they had one guy ahead of him on the board who went shortly before him. I'm guessing Kentucky LHP AJ Reed.

Interesting that we would go out of our way to communicate to the kid that we like him, just not as much as someone else. But if he goes we would love to have you.

Way to make the kid feel special.

#60 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 6,629 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

Interesting that we would go out of our way to communicate to the kid that we like him, just not as much as someone else. But if he goes we would love to have you.

Way to make the kid feel special.

At this point, you're just looking for anything to complain about, right? The Twins kept a kid (and his agent) informed of their thinking. Those bastards!