Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Twins Select Nick Gordon Fifth Overall

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...n-Fifth-Overall

#2 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

I like this pick!

#3 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

Haven't seen much video on Gordon, but he does seem to have a nice swing. He's fast, has a rocket arm, and reportedly is very baseball savvy. Finally a star shortstop? Here's hoping.

#4 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

Sounds like a quality individual based on his interview during the Twins-Brewers game. That doesn't hurt at this stage.

#5 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

Always liked the possibility of picking Gordon but am very surprised they let Jackson slip past them when he fell. A catcher who could stick & being the best hitter in the draft. Could be a big mistake. Was very surprised Marlins went with Kolek over Rodon, Ken Williams had to be ecstatic.

#6 benji21

benji21

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

I really wanted them to grab Jackson when he fell, though I kne they wouldn't. I agree that this might be a mistake with jackson getting comps to wil meyer's career. I will hope for the best though. Super excited for round two!

#7 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

Jackson does have a greater likelihood of a significant major league career as a RF. Gordon is the bigger risk. Shortstops are really hard to find. Risks need to be taken.

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

Love the possibilities with this pick, really glad they went this direction.

#9 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:13 PM

Knew it was coming. Don't hate the pick at all. Hope he's what we've all longed for at SS, and that he is like many of our top young prospects the past few years, a relatively fast riser.

But I am a little surprised they still went this route when Jackson was unexpectedly available. Best high school hitter in the draft, and some say the best potential hitter period. Did we perhaps pass on the BPA?

#10 Spicoli

Spicoli

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:13 PM

I think it is a great pick! The Twins went out and got maybe the best position player in the draft... Remember the last time we did that? Yea that guy is the number 1 prospect in the game now.

Its awesome seeing how much high end talent the Twins have in the system now. Soon we will be calling one or 2 up every year. We have a lot to be excited about.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

Yeah, I like this pick for sure. Seems like a good character, good baseball acumen and greatly talented. Speed, arm, defense, bat, power potential... I like it! I hope he signs quickly..

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

This means nothing but I like how his interviews and taped stuff for mlb went. Seemed like a nice guy who was dedicated to baseball. Some of those other interviews made those guys look like future frat boys.

#13 highlander

highlander

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

should be on the club for the world series push

#14 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

We just drafted Niko Goodrum Part II = (but maybe with more power). You heard it here first :)

#15 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

Jackson does have a greater likelihood of a significant major league career as a RF. Gordon is the bigger risk. Shortstops are really hard to find. Risks need to be taken.

I keep reading that Gordon is the safest pick of the draft.

#16 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

We just drafted Niko Goodrum Part II = (but maybe with more power). You heard it here first :)

Goodrum was a really raw athlete that still needed to learn how to play baseball. Even when he was drafted they mentioned that he might move to CF if he didn't figure out defense. He's done alright but that's not Gordon at all.

#17 Sweetwater

Sweetwater

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

Really like the pick. Hope he hits a little better than projected. Here's to Jeter II.

#18 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

I can understand people being disappointed with passing on Jackson, but I feel confident the Twins made the right choice with Gordon.

It is not lost on me that he is the son of a helluva good baseball player with 20ish years in the bigs. Although he was a kid when he was hanging out with his dad in the clubhouses and in the field and getting to know his dad's teammates, I believe that kind of thing sticks with you. It also does not hurt that his older brother is doing a more than decent job as the starting 2B of the Dodgers - when he has his struggles, he will have a few MLB baseball experienced people to lean on. He also seems to have a great head on his shoulders. He is a tremendously talented player and he has a leg up on his fellow draft class because of this.

The more I think of it, I feel lucky the Twins drafted Nick Gordon. Barry Larkin was drafted #4 in 1985 - just maybe we could have ourselves a comparable player 29 years later.

Fingers Crossed:)

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#19 Buxtano Meywart

Buxtano Meywart

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

I love this pick! I think he compares favorably to Francisco Lindor only I think Gordon will end up hitting better than Lindor will. One thing is for sure, the Twins are going to have some seriously good defense up the middle in a few years with Gordon at short, Dozier at second and Buxton in center. Going to be an exciting team! :)

#20 Sanibelchuck

Sanibelchuck

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

Nick Gordon is the son of pitcher Tom "Flash" Gordon and the brother of Dee Gordon of the LA Dodgers.

#21 ShouldaCouldaWoulda

ShouldaCouldaWoulda

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

I hope Gordon pans out. I really do. However, I wish we would have drafted a bat-first guy like Jackson or a pitcher at #5. To me, it seems like SS rarely pan out from the draft, but always get a premium placed on them because of their position.

When looking at the names of MLB starting SS's, it appears that nearly over half of them are Latin born players. Seems the smarter approach would be to keep snagging internationally guys in the middle infield, and focus on power bats and pitchers in the draft. Just thinking aloud.

#22 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

I hope Gordon pans out. I really do. However, I wish we would have drafted a bat-first guy like Jackson or a pitcher at #5. To me, it seems like SS rarely pan out from the draft, but always get a premium placed on them because of their position.

When looking at the names of MLB starting SS's, it appears that nearly over half of them are Latin born players. Seems the smarter approach would be to keep snagging internationally guys in the middle infield, and focus on power bats and pitchers in the draft. Just thinking aloud.

I think that is a perfectly justifiable stance. But when Machado moves back to SS, and the Astros recent pick makes the majors, and Gordon does, and a few others in the minors right now? That ratio will head back to US born SS being a higher percent. But, I can totally get your argument.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

It is not lost on me that he is the son of a helluva good baseball player with 20ish years in the bigs. Although he was a kid when he was hanging out with his dad in the clubhouses and in the field and getting to know his dad's teammates, I believe that kind of thing sticks with you. It also does not hurt that his older brother is doing a more than decent job as the starting 2B of the Dodgers - when he has his struggles, he will have a few MLB baseball experienced people to lean on. He also seems to have a great head on his shoulders. He is a tremendously talented player and he has a leg up on his fellow draft class because of this.

I think this cuts both ways -- Gordon has almost certainly received more attention and opportunity due to his pedigree too. That kind of player, when regarded as the "safest" pick of the draft without any standout offensive skill coming out of high school, makes me a little nervous at #5, like we overpaid for the qualities you mention.