Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Game Thread: Twins@Brewers 6/3 7:10PM

• Please log in to reply
350 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing out to left field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 65.

9 out of ten dentists say you should turn to ChiTown for perfect lineups posted right here in this spot. The other dentist is high on Nitrous Oxide.

Bri - It might be the better place to be, depending on the lineup. You decide ...

Twins:
SP, Deduno

Santana CF
Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Willingham LF
Arcia RF
Plouffe 3B
Pinto C
Escobar SS
Deduno P

Brewcrew:
SP, Gallardo

Segura SS
Gennett 2B
Braun RF
Gomez CF
Davis LF
Reynolds 3B
Overbay 1B
Maldonado C
Gallardo P
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Winning -- The Brewers look very confident. On Paper... they really shouldn't be that confident but I couldn't help but notice that the Brewers looked really confident last night. There is an energy to the way go about it and it's tough to explain but certain teams just display it and keen eyes like mine can spot it. I was able to see it in Clint Eastwood from the get go. You knew that Clint had complete control over the fate of Eli Wallach. Tony Dow had it... he didn't have to live with a ridiculous nickname like "Beaver". Eddie Haskell wasn't going to lead him off the path... Tony Dow was confident and a winner. Bugs Bunny had it... you could see it when you watched him handle his carrot. The Brewers have that look about them. The Twins are going to have to man up and get a little feisty and quit playing like Eddie Haskell.

2. Yovani Gallardo -- Born in 1986 in Mexico. When I think of Mexico... I think of Cancun, Acapulco, Cabo... the Tourist spots. Turns out... There is a bunch of Mexico that isn't exactly touristy and that is where Gallardo comes from. Gallardo grew up on a burrito farm. On hot summer nights... Yovani and his brothers and sisters... aunts and uncles would climb the burrito trees and drop the ripe burritos to the ground. It was hard work and working from sun up to sun down made him extremely boring. Throughout his major league career. Gallardo has never been amazing and he has never been bad... He's been consistently above average. When I've seen him pitch... he has an assortment of real good breaking pitches that seem to break late. You know... the kind of pitch that Mauer has been struggling with this year.

3. Centerfield -- John Fogerty sang the line... you all know it... "I can still hear my old hound dog barking... chasin down a hoodoo there... chasin down a hoodoo there". Perhaps no song in the history of the world expresses the desire for the coach to put you in to play centerfield. Rod Stewart "Maggie May" expresses a similar sentiment but it was this song that captured it perfectly. Danny Santana is starting in CF for our Twins and I know that many have expressed concern about this and there are times when mistakes have been made. I recognize those mistakes but I contend that if Danny Santana is going to be counted on to play CF and it appears as if he will be counted on. You gotta play him in CF and play him in CF many days in a row until it starts to feel natural. Occasional games as the CF backup on paper will not help him get over the hump. It will just keep him uncomfortable. Many an infielder has successfully converted to OF and Santana can as well. So... I'm happy that Santana is in CF and I'm prepared to suffer through the mistakes in the name of progress. John Fogerty described it best when he wrote "Rode in on the Greyhound... I'll be walkin out if I go".

4. Sam Deduno -- Everytime Deduno starts... I think about him and I type up optimistic words and I've done that enough... So I'm not going to think about Sam Deduno tonight. So ignore thought #4 and go back to #2 and re-read the part about the Burrito farm.

5. Dogs -- My nephew has 3 fairly big dogs and my sister was watching them while my nephew was on vacation. I didn't know this was going on when I stopped by to visit. The fairly big dogs movement through the house was quite noticeable. You'd try to have a conversation with your sister but your attention was diverted each time a dog would move. Sometimes one dog was laying on the floor... It would quickly get up and walk 3 feet forward and lie down on the floor again. One dog would walk into a room and immediately turn around and come back out again. One would go up the stairs... turn around and go back down again. They could work for the government.

Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 03 June 2014 - 03:24 PM.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#2 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

Hmm interesting line-up, we have Santana leading off while playing yet again in CF.

#3 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

Gallardo grew up on a burrito farm. On hot summer nights... Yovani and his brothers and sisters... aunts and uncles would climb the burrito trees and drop the ripe burritos to the ground. It was hard work and working from sun up to sun down made him extremely boring.

I am fascinated by this.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

3. Centerfield -- John Fogerty sang the line... you all know it... "I can still hear my old hound dog barking... chasin down a hoodoo there... chasin down a hoodoo there". Perhaps no song in the history of the world expresses the desire for the coach to put you in to play centerfield. Rod Stewart "Maggie May" expresses a similar sentiment but it was this song that captured it perfectly. Danny Santana is starting in CF for our Twins and I know that many have expressed concern about this and there are times when mistakes have been made. I recognize those mistakes but I contend that if Danny Santana is going to be counted on to play CF and it appears as if he will be counted on. You gotta play him in CF and play him in CF many days in a row until it starts to feel natural. Occasional games as the CF backup on paper will not help him get over the hump. It will just keep him uncomfortable. Many an infielder has successfully converted to OF and Santana can as well. So... I'm happy that Santana is in CF and I'm prepared to suffer through the mistakes in the name of progress. John Fogerty described it best when he wrote "Rode in on the Greyhound... I'll be walkin out if I go".

Conversion on the fly, and as a last resort isn't the best way to consider throwing a guy into a new, and demanding position. And the move raises more questions than it answers.

1) Has Santana now been scratched off of the potential future SS list?
2) Are the Twins sold on Escobar as a longer-term answer at SS?
3) If Esco is the answer, how come they couldn't figure that out until recently?
4) Will the Twins put a career 4th OF, Fuld, back into the starting spot?
5) If Fuld becomes the starter in CF, where/how much does Santana play?

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Hmm interesting line-up, we have Santana leading off while playing yet again in CF.

Meet your new Twins CF! (for now, anyway, Hicks is apparently in such low regard right now that a move to being in "the Twins dog house" would probably be considered a promotion).

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

• Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino 17m
    Nice work by Kurt "Hot Rod" Suzuki on MLB Network's Intentional Talk. Yes, he said he'd change his name to "Hot Rod" for $3 million.

:) :) :)

So would I!

#7 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

I am fascinated by this.

And man, we've all had a ripe burrito or two and that's not good. I prefer them when they are fresh.

#8 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Nice work by Kurt "Hot Rod" Suzuki on MLB Network's Intentional Talk. Yes, he said he'd change his name to "Hot Rod" for $3 million.

So would I!

Heck, for 3M I'd change my name to anything the Payer chose for me.

My preference would be to have an obscenity and a rare fruit included in this name. The only names that would make me a little bummed would be - Mitch, Todd or Chad (no offense to any TD participant with those aforementioned names - personal preference).

#9 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

It has been awhile since I have seen Clint Eastwood, Tony Dow, and Bugs Bunny referenced together.

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Who is Pinto, and is Suzuki injured or something?

#11 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

N/m figured it out. Reserve catcher. :)

#12 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

Yeah RB so you are older than Clint Eastwood then??????

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

So would I!

I'd change my name to Hot Rod for 50 bucks.

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Yeah RB so you are older than Clint Eastwood then??????

Oh My... Not even close... Nobody is older than Clint Eastwood... Besides Chief Of course.

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

A day without Deduno is (also) like a day without Pinto

Posted Image

#16 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

So would I!

My papi said "Gardy you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop playin that hot rod Suzuki."

#17 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

My papi said "Gardy you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop playin that hot rod Suzuki."

Drive me to "Djibouti"?

#18 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Conversion on the fly, and as a last resort isn't the best way to consider throwing a guy into a new, and demanding position. And the move raises more questions than it answers.

1) Has Santana now been scratched off of the potential future SS list?
2) Are the Twins sold on Escobar as a longer-term answer at SS?
3) If Esco is the answer, how come they couldn't figure that out until recently?
4) Will the Twins put a career 4th OF, Fuld, back into the starting spot?
5) If Fuld becomes the starter in CF, where/how much does Santana play?

I think it all depends on how Santana handles his carrot.

#19 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

Drive me to "Djibouti"?

I am not a Connoisseur of French Hard Core Erotica films, but this one was indeed very good.

#20 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

Heck, for 3M I'd change my name to anything the Payer chose for me.

My preference would be to have an obscenity and a rare fruit included in this name. The only names that would make me a little bummed would be - Mitch, Todd or Chad (no offense to any TD participant with those aforementioned names - personal preference).

I hear ya. Just don't call me Mitchell Sweeny, or Everett.

#21 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Gibby - I have taken note of this. You'll never read those words from my fingers.

#22 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

So Brian, like your son, my middle kid that just graduated from Wisc. just scored a big kid job. I'm ebullient, and a tad amazed at how fast she took off...given that she's my biggest challenge.

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

So Brian, like your son, my middle kid that just graduated from Wisc. just scored a big kid job. I'm ebullient, and a tad amazed at how fast she took off...given that she's my biggest challenge.

Congrats... What's the job?

yeah... The speed of it all... Knocks off socks without a doubt.

#24 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

Congrats... What's the job?

yeah... The speed of it all... Knocks off socks without a doubt.

Social work, but they are paying for her grad school. Thank God.

#25 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

While we're waiting for church to start, thought I'd tell my favorite "Jeopardy" story, as I wasn't able to join the congregation yesterday.

Contestant: "Finland for $800, Alex."

Alex: "A sensuous swaying to music Finnish women do with reindeer once a year to boost fertility."

Contestant: "What is a Lapp dance?"

Alex: "You're on the board!"

Edited by Circus Boy, 03 June 2014 - 05:50 PM.

#26 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

While we're waiting for church to start, thought I'd tell my favorite "Jeopardy" story, as I wasn't able to join the congregation yesterday.

Contestant: "Finland for $800, Alex."

Alex: "A sensuous swaying to music Finnish women do with reindeer once a year to boost fertility."

Contestant: What is a Lapp dance?

Alex: You're on the board!

Bless you my son.

#27 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Bless you my son.

Go in peace, serve the sausages. (And may my parents, both ministers, forgive my irreverence.)

#28 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

Hey Gibby, I am curious and have a few questions about your Chef-titude.

What celebrity Chefs do you dislike and what celebrity chefs are you cool with (if any)?

Also - are you Rick Bayless?

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

Social work, but they are paying for her grad school. Thank God.

Paying for grad school is huge!!! It'll save you some money to buy her something.

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

I gotta go yell at some ballplayers. I'll try to join back late.