Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Nice SI article on Morneau

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

http://sportsillustr...kies/?eref=sihp

Man I hope he makes the all-star team this year.

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

I couldn't be happier for Justin. He deserves a bit of triumph after all those struggles.

#3 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,879 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

Good article. I, too, hope that he returns to Minnesota for the ASG.

But I also believe that he wouldn't be doing as well had Minnesota re-signed him -- as though the recovery from concussion also needed a new setting away from the struggles of the last few years.

#4 mattkummer

mattkummer

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

I thought the quote from this doctor was telling, and could explain Mauer's struggles this year.
"What's most likely to happen in baseball is a concussion that goes onto post-concussion syndrome," say Dr. Robert Cantu, a sports concussion expert at the Boston University School of Medicine. "The symptoms don't clear up quickly....When you have post-concussion syndrome, when you're still symptomatic and still haven't completely healed, very commonly reaction times are slow [and] your eyes do not track with the same coordination and speed."

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz33aYRAM4F

Good article. I, too, hope that he returns to Minnesota for the ASG.

But I also believe that he wouldn't be doing as well had Minnesota re-signed him -- as though the recovery from concussion also needed a new setting away from the struggles of the last few years.

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Will the Rockies be offended if he mistakenly wears a Twins cap at the All-Star game?

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,879 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

mattkummer, good takeway. I have also wondered about the lingering effects of Mauer's concussion. Hopefully he is still healing and able to make adjustments (maybe last night is some evidence that is coming about).

With both Morneau (hockey) and Mauer (football and catching for a longtime), it is hard to know about undiagnosed concussions in their younger years.

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

refuses to surrender his World Series baseball

• Members
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

I also worry about the effects of Hicks recent concussion. He took a hard hit.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

I am very happy for Justin. One of my favorite Twins, partly becaus he chose to live here, and was very active in the community. Those that choose to live here are saintly, imo, when they could afford to live wherever they want, and are the true Minnesotans. *

*btw, I'm hoping to move soon, can't take the length of winter anymore.
Lighten up Francis....

#9 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,419 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

I am very happy for Justin. One of my favorite Twins, partly becaus he chose to live here, and was very active in the community. Those that choose to live here are saintly, imo, when they could afford to live wherever they want, and are the true Minnesotans. *

*btw, I'm hoping to move soon, can't take the length of winter anymore.

Justin and his family live in Arizona in the winter, at least for the last several years. No one can blame him for that.
I made the comment opening day I didn't think Joe looked right and got soundly browbeaten by the Mauer loyalists. Will he ever be the same, probably not but maybe he could get close.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Huh, did not know that. Still one of my favorites.

#11 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

I made the comment opening day I didn't think Joe looked right and got soundly browbeaten by the Mauer loyalists. Will he ever be the same, probably not but maybe he could get close.

I probably fall into the camp of Mauer loyalist (or Mauerians as we are called in the inside circle at our secret monthly meetings at O'Gara's), and I think this is a perfectly valid statement and would not browbeat anyone for theorizing it. He was still experiencing symptons in November for a hit he took in August. Combine that with watching how it effected Justin and to a lesser degree Span (did he ever completley bounce back?), I think it has to at least be considered. It might be that even if he is not experiening overt syptoms, it has effected his reflexes enough to alter his game for being elete to being mediocre. If that is the case, hopefully things will gradually return to normal and better days ahead.

Best case scenario, it is just a regular slump and not related to any brain issues.

Nice article - I wish Justin the best and hope he gets a few years of good playing. He was really robbed of some of his prime baseball years. The part about him still doing a batting practice routine he did with Mauer, but now he stops for someone not there was a little bittersweet.

#12 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

The part about him still doing a batting practice routine he did with Mauer, but now he stops for someone not there was a little bittersweet.

Yeah ... it almost made me a little teary.

#13 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

The part about him still doing a batting practice routine he did with Mauer, but now he stops for someone not there was a little bittersweet.

I read that as "he doesn't stop anymore because there's no Mauer" not that "he was still waiving home no one in CO." Doesn't sound like he ever did it in CO.

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]He takes a few cracks, then advances: first base, second base, third ... home. There's no reason to stop anymore, no tradition to uphold.[/FONT][/COLOR]

The paragraph before that was just describing what he had done in MN, not what he still does.

Either way, happy to see 33 doing well. Will always be a fan of his and hope he's the starting 1B for the NL at the all star game.

#14 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

Growing up with the big LH Herbie as my favorite player was able to transition quite easily to big LH Morny..so while it was bittersweet to see him leave I am grateful he has had the chance to reclaim some of his former self even if some of it being contributed to playing in Coors. Altho always been, and still am, a big fan of Mauer and believe he is a no doubt HOF'er I am kinda hopin Vargas becomes the next big LH 1B to stronghold the position for years.

#15 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

Yeah ... it almost made me a little teary.

http://youtu.be/cx2Sps9aMcY