Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Rock Cats Report -- Including a Potential Move?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-Potential-Move
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#2 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

I really hate to see a community that has actively and enthusiastically supported a minor league team for years lose it just because a nearby larger city can make the owner a better offer. If indeed the stadium is somehow lacking, then yes it is up to the community to be proactive and improve those facilities.

I don't think it's at all certain that the Twins will ultimately benefit long-term from a new stadium for he Rock Cats in Hartford. Once that thing is built, those owners will have other teams tripping over themselves to affiliate there and some of those teams may likely be a more beneficial geographic fit for the Cats.

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

Great writeup! Thanks for the in depth information.

#4 Since71

Since71

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

I would prefer they stay in New Britain but only because I was born there (only lived there for 6 months) and I now live in Rochester NY. It just feels like good karma to me to have the top 2 minor league teams in cities I have lived in.;)

#5 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

Baseball team points a gun at city's head: "Build a new stadium for us--or we will move!" Some things never change. The equivalent distance is like from Eden Prairie to Minneapolis. Plus, a potential to sell many more tickets, at a higher price, and keep a higher portion of the gross--of course they want to move!

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

Andrew tweeted a link to another story today: http://touch.courant...e/p2p-80390036/

Interesting to see the maneuvers that will go on surrounding this.

And the columnist's dream of vibrant summer nights -- seems like that's always the other selling point.

And I agree with JC. I doubt that any of this is to the long-term benefit of the Twins organization.

#7 jimv2

jimv2

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

"What they could use: better starting pitching; more offensive threats."

Sounds a bit like the parent club. :)

#8 sharewhut

sharewhut

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

Announced today team moving to Hartford, the State Capitol and MURDER Capitol of Connecticut. Blocks away from gang infested area of city, only parking available is in politically connected lots. Fans already saying they won't go into city for games.
Civic Center (Wolfpack AHL, and UCONN 'alternate' home court) is at least in downtown area with attached parking garage. City broke, raising taxes from shrinking tax base to come up with cash for stadium. Not a place where you'd dare walk more than a block or two after (or frankly BEFORE) a night game. Twins had better plan on housing/busing their prospects out of immediate area.

#9 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Announced today team moving to Hartford, the State Capitol and MURDER Capitol of Connecticut. Blocks away from gang infested area of city, only parking available is in politically connected lots. Fans already saying they won't go into city for games.
Civic Center (Wolfpack AHL, and UCONN 'alternate' home court) is at least in downtown area with attached parking garage. City broke, raising taxes from shrinking tax base to come up with cash for stadium. Not a place where you'd dare walk more than a block or two after (or frankly BEFORE) a night game. Twins had better plan on housing/busing their prospects out of immediate area.

Well, that's a little dramatic. You say this as if they currently don't play in New Britain, Connecticut.

I agree that there are problems in Hartford, though. Whether this will help make things better, I guess we won't know for a while.

I wrote more about it tonight: http://twinsdaily.co...Leave-the-Twins
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar

#10 sharewhut

sharewhut

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

@ Kwak:
Team didn't put gun to New Britain's head- deal was cut behind the mayor's back by Governor (questionable ethics would be putting it mildly) and equally shaky Hartford Mayor- in part to punish a brand new Mayor in N.B. who happens to be an outspoken critic (and member of opposing party) of said governor and hartford mayor (lower case intentional). Hoping the Twins haven't/don't extend association.

Edited by sharewhut, 04 June 2014 - 10:51 PM.

#11 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

Team didn't put gun to New Britain's head- deal was cut behind the mayor's back by Governor (questionable ethics would be putting it mildly) and equally shaky Hartford Mayor- in part to punish a brand new Mayor in N.B. who happens to be an outspoken critic (and member of opposing party) of said governor and hartford mayor (lower case intentional). Hoping the Twins haven't/don't extend association.

Well, you're making a bunch of statements here that don't make a lot of sense.

Yes, New Britain's mayor had no part in this, as it was an agreement between Hartford and the team's owner to take effect after their current agreement expires. So, yes, New Britain (and their mayor) didn't have anything to do with this new deal. Because, well, it's in Hartford.

What does Dan Malloy have to do with this? Everything I've read says this is is all city money -- no state money involved. You're going have to be more specific if you're going to make statements like that.

Twins' deal expires after the end of this season.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar

#12 sharewhut

sharewhut

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

Well, that's a little dramatic. You say this as if they currently don't play in New Britain, Connecticut.

I agree that there are problems in Hartford, though. Whether this will help make things better, I guess we won't know for a while.

I wrote more about it tonight: http://twinsdaily.co...Leave-the-Twins

Respect you being a Twins fan in CT and wanting to keep a touch with your team close by, but how likely is it that you'll be making the nightly trek to 84 & 91 on hot summer nights? Presumably you're familiar with area 2 blocks away. No way families from outside Hartford making that trip. Maybe for a day game. New Britain ain't exactly a gem, but for the most part more family friendly than Connecticut's <s>Rising</s> Shooting Star. For parking they'll use Beehive Field and run a special on the busway on game nights for those not wanting to spend $25 to park in one of Laz's lots.
Election year move by Dan (it's an election year so don't call me Dannell)- move a business from one city to another and call it economic progress.
(BTW- spent a few summers visiting M-SP area in 70's, loved going to Twins games in Bloomington getting in for $5 in Knothole seats, talking to players in pen and outfield...)

#13 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

For the record, I have absolutely nothing against NB. I've been going to games there for many years, and they do a great job. I know many of the employees by name, and they are all great people. So I definitely get the human aspect to this -- and I don't think that success in Hartford is any guarantee. I'm also not condoning the apparent way this deal was done. For me, it just is what it is -- business.

Trying not to be biased, though, I see what Hartford is trying to do -- energize the downtown area, and to get people to stay past 5 pm. Again, whether they're successful, I have no idea.

I am familiar with the area nearby the new stadium location. Yes, the city's going to have to make people feel safe, for sure.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar

#14 sharewhut

sharewhut

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

Well, you're making a bunch of statements here that don't make a lot of sense.

Yes, New Britain's mayor had no part in this, as it was an agreement between Hartford and the team's owner to take effect after their current agreement expires. So, yes, New Britain (and their mayor) didn't have anything to do with this new deal. Because, well, it's in Hartford.

What does Dan Malloy have to do with this? Everything I've read says this is is all city money -- no state money involved. You're going have to be more specific if you're going to make statements like that.

Twins' deal expires after the end of this season.

A- If you don't sense Malloy's finger in this, well no sense debating you. Nothing happens in Hartford without state money involved, if not directly then through increased education, public safety, etc dollars to cover shortfalls caused by stadium costs.
B- Was responding to 'gun held to head' statement, not implying that Mayor Stewart should have had role in negotiations. Just saying that she was blindsided by team/State/Hartford. At least on part of both Hartford parties was more than a subtle political jab.
C- It's usually, at least as a courtesy, brought up to current city that something else is in works, to either give opportunity to come up with counter or soften blow. Unless you're the Colts.
If Twins adamant on staying in area, they could always approach Norwich about upgrading Dodd. Was rocking as a Yankee affiliate, Twins would probably run more along lines of what they drew for Giants farm team. I sense that attendance in NB was as much a result of having a team of their own for so many years- no matter who was feeding players they were "OUR TEAM". Don't see them following up the road once that disconnect is made. You may eat at Pop's Diner in the neighborhood for years, no matter who owns it, but if it shuts down and moves 15 miles out of town it's not your neighborhood place any more.

Edited by sharewhut, 04 June 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#15 sharewhut

sharewhut

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

Trying not to be biased, though, I see what Hartford is trying to do -- energize the downtown area, and to get people to stay past 5 pm. Again, whether they're successful, I have no idea

The Whale couldn't do it. The Pack and UConn aren't doing it. The Convention Center isn't doing it. Sad fact is that people who know the city spend as little time as possible there after dark.
I used to come in for Whalers games, or to hit Mad Murphy's or the Russian Lady for drinks or music or just partying. Mid to late 80's got to scary to go downtown for a night out. Giving Front St. a chance, but for now even that feels a bit sketchy walking through all the incompleteness to parking garages.
Would love to see city rise up and be successful- if for no other reason than to see my tax dollars not disappear into it- but unless you can pull a Yankees/South Bronx trick don't think it'll happen.
Geez, I only ended up here looking for how long Twins committed to team for. Sorry to Twins fans for breaking off on tangent when I saw Kwak's note. Andrew, hope you keep your future Twins nearby, but there had better not be a paid attendance clause in the lease or I see Springfield in the Rock Cats future yet, with Sox AA back from Trenton. Then Hartford can replace Norwich as having the nicest stadium in the NY-Penn League!

Edited by sharewhut, 04 June 2014 - 11:42 PM.