Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Lewis Thorpe to Cedar Rapids

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

https://twitter.com/...587340728729600

Following today's Cedar Rapids Kernels game, Jake Mauer informed media at the game that Felix Jorge and Derrick Penilla would be heading back to Extended Spring Training though he didn't know officially who was coming up.

I was able to confirm this afternoon that Thorpe had been promoted to Cedar Rapids.

Will there be a 2nd player? We'll find out. There is talk that Fernando Romero could be promoted. Some have guessed Stephen Gonsalves.

It's also possible that Yorman Landa could come off of the Disabled List.

#2 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Confirmed: Romero joins the Kernels.

Haven't been informed yet how they'll be used.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

Cool, good luck to Thorpe. Too bad about Jorge.

#4 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Romero hasn't even played in the Appy league yet. Not that its a big deal or anything. I just assumed Gonsalves would get the call 1st. Maybe Romero has just outshined him by a decent margin throughout EST. Looking forward to seeing what these kids can do in the Midwest League.

Too bad about Jorge. Hopefully he can fix whatever has gone terribly wrong this year.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

From my 8-days in Ft. Myers this spring, I thought Fernando was as impressive as anyone in the organization, including Kohl Stewart... Seeing that 95-96 on the radar gun was fun, but he's got a slider too. Very intrigued by him...

#6 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

No problems with any of this, just a little disappointed and surprised to not see Gonsalves yet. Hope there is no bad news we haven't heard about yet.

#7 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

Pretty excited about this. The Thorpe promotion and Romero. I read a couple reports, one from Seth or TD and another, perhpas minor league ball and Romero looked great in ST.

If Berrios continues his dominance and you get Thorpe and Romero showing a handle on 'A' this year, could make for an interesting June/July 2015. :)

#8 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

Here's mlbpipeline's report on Romero:

"Romero has the stuff to be a starter. How much he can transition from being a thrower to a pitcher will determine if he can reach that ceiling.

The Dominican teenager can light up a radar gun, has plus action on his breaking ball and he has a workable changeup. The most consistent hard thrower in the system other than Alex Meyer, Romero could have a 70 fastball out of the bullpen, and his approach and style point to a life as a future reliever. He's starting to understand what it takes preparation and conditioning wise to be successful long-term, and he is realizing that there's more to his craft than just throwing hard.
The Twins will let Romero start for now, try to get him innings and increase his pitchability in the hopes a starter can emerge, but a career as a setup man is more likely"

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

Is Romero going to start out of the gate? If he's going to start in the pen, perhaps that's why he got the nod over Gonsalves.

Aren't we still waiting for Yorman Landa to get a chance to start? Unless he's already been written off, the CR rotation is still kind of full to promote two new starters.

#10 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

Hearing from source that both Romero and Thorpe WILL be in the rotation. The exact rotation isn't decided yet, but could look something like Slegers, Romero, Eades, Thorpe, Mildren, Stewart.

Probably won't know for sure for a day or two, since today is an off/travel day. But if that does turn out to be the rotation, it would mean Romero debuts in Wisconsin Thursday and Thorpe in Kane County on Saturday.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Thorpe goes to Cedar Rapids, eh?

An aggressive promotion for a team that often catches flak for its slow promotion of prospects. The guy is 18 and is now in low A.

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

It's amazing. Stewart was the youngest pitcher in the league and Thorpe is 13 months younger than him.

#13 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

Hearing from source that both Romero and Thorpe WILL be in the rotation. The exact rotation isn't decided yet, but could look something like Slegers, Romero, Eades, Thorpe, Mildren, Stewart.

Probably won't know for sure for a day or two, since today is an off/travel day. But if that does turn out to be the rotation, it would mean Romero debuts in Wisconsin Thursday and Thorpe in Kane County on Saturday.

Looking like a great rotation down there.

#14 AScheib50

AScheib50

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Looks like I will be heading over to Fifth Third Bank Ballpark on Saturday to catch that Cougars matchup!

#15 Dance with Disco Dan

Dance with Disco Dan

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

An aggressive promotion for a team that often catches flak for its slow promotion of prospects. The guy is 18 and is now in low A.

I agree and can only conclude that Thorpe has looked VERY sharp and prepared in EST. That makes me all the more excited to see what he can do.

I was sorry to see Felix Jorge get battered like he did but I am happy that he has been sent back to EST to rest and regroup. Things were not turning around for him in CR.

#16 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

Jorge was sitting at 88-89 last week in relief when I saw a game. Between him and Eades it was a pretty disappointing night for pitching. Eades had an overpowering fastball for the low A hitters but I'm not sure if he made one hitter look foolish with a breaking pitch or changeup.

I'm very excited about Lewis Thorpe.

#17 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

Wow, that is really bad news regarding Jorge's fastball. He may not have a specific injury, but something must be contributing to his decreased velocity. How was his extension?

#18 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

Think about this way... If he was a US citizen, he'd be in this year's draft as a HS prep guy.

Also of note, according to scouts, he'd be a first rounder too. It's looking like the Twins really got something good here.

#19 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Media Notes just distributed by the Kernels confirm the new rotation as:

Romero (1st start) tonight @ Wisconsin
Eades Friday @ Wisconsin
Thorpe (1st start) Saturday @ Kane County
Mildren Sunday @ KC
Stewart Monday @ KC

MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

#20 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

Media Notes just distributed by the Kernels confirm the new rotation as:

Romero (1st start) tonight @ Wisconsin
Eades Friday @ Wisconsin
Thorpe (1st start) Saturday @ Kane County
Mildren Sunday @ KC
Stewart Monday @ KC

Do you think it will be Slegers on (Tuesday) then to complete the 6-man rotation?

#21 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

Romero, Thorpe, and Stewart are going to be legitimate major league pitchers, with Romero being a reliever and Thorpe and Stewart being starters. Calling it now. Eades and Mildren won't get past AA.

#22 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Do you think it will be Slegers on (Tuesday) then to complete the 6-man rotation?

Yes. Slegers pitched last night, so he'd be the 6th man for the homestand opener vs QC on Tuesday.

#23 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

And Slegers is debatable. I can see him getting to the big leagues as a reliever and being very good. But as a starter, I don't think it will last past Fort Myers.

#24 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

When the prospect rankings came out, people were wondering if his lofty ranking was all hype. The kid just blew up in the fall and winter in connection to international and Australian baseball, after a ridiculously good GCL stint. After then seeing him on video, I was in the other camp that said he probably should be the highest pitching prospect in the organization not named Meyer or Stewart, eclipsing Berrios. Give the Twins credit for forgoing E-Town (for now, anyway) and giving the kid a shot- I'm willing to advise and extend my negative remarks about the typical propsect-slow-play if the Twins keep pushing this kid.

Any kind of success here, and Thorpe could be on the fast track, possibly even shooting right through High A and AA next year- he'd be slightly less than 3 months shy of his 20th birthday on September 1st, 2015. I think we'd have to go back to Bert Blyleven in 1970 to see the last teenager starter for the Twins? I'm sure the Twins will keep close track of his innings, but a guy can dream.....Hey Pelfrey will be off the books after 2015 and Deduno will be arb eligible in 2016- which will undoubtedly make the Twins strongly consider that it's time to move on, the field should be very clear by opening day, 2016.

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

After then seeing him on video, I was in the other camp that said he probably should be the highest pitching prospect in the organization not named Meyer or Stewart, eclipsing Berrios.

With every passing day, I'm more convinced the only guy on the list in front of Thorpe should be Meyer.

Stewart is great. I'm not knocking him... But an 18 year old lefty with command that throws in the mid-90s? Yes, please.

After the graduation of Arcia last season, Thorpe almost immediately took the title of "dark horse with massive upside" in my eyes.

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

With every passing day, I'm more convinced the only guy on the list in front of Thorpe should be Meyer.

Stewart is great. I'm not knocking him... But an 18 year old lefty with command that throws in the mid-90s? Yes, please.

After the graduation of Arcia last season, Thorpe almost immediately took the title of "dark horse with massive upside" in my eyes.

I'm with you and will be easily swayed when it becomes obvious, for now, I'll lean towards the potential A&M American quarterback until he proves he's being eclipsed by the Aussie-upstart......definitely nice (and convenient!) to see them competing in the same setting. And it will be extra nice when the national services get the memo and begin to confirm what we are seeing and move Thorpe onto some Top 100 lists. Callis and Mayo at MLB.com still apparently don't even have Thorpe in the Twins Top 20 lists.

#27 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:24 PM

. Callis and Mayo at MLB.com still apparently don't even have Thorpe in the Twins Top 20 lists.

They have him at #6.

#28 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

They have him at #6.

Yep. My bad, I googled "Mlb.com Twins Top 20" and they sent me right to the....2013 list....

#29 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

Yep. My bad, I googled "Mlb.com Twins Top 20" and they sent me right to the....2013 list....

It's part of Comcast's plan to get you a better internet

#30 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

[FONT=Arial][TABLE="width: 451"]
[TR]
[TD="class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6"]50
[/TD]
[TD="class: chatmsgtext viewer_text"][TABLE]
[TR="class: contentContainerRow"]
[TD="class: contentContainerCell"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Comment From Ian
Where would Lewis Thorpe (18 year old Australian in MN system) go in this draft?[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][TABLE="width: 451"]
[TR]
[TD="class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6"]4:50