Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Interview with Twins GM Terry Ryan - Part 1

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...rry-Ryan-Part-1

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

Great reporting and great news. Thanks!

#3 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

gee whizz TR, thanks for calling me out on the take pitching with the first pick comment. He must have known I would be reading this post. I think they will have a good draft. Glad to see TR is on the mend.

#4 birddog

birddog

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

No doubt TR knows baseball talent and will get the Twins' ship righted again. Nice to once again have a top 5 pick in the draft, but it's time to stop that trend. Maybe a top 10 for next year and then no higher than a top 20-25 for many years to come as the young talent comes to the MLB roster. We are in good hands with TR who already has a tough job maintaining the 40-man roster, but no doubt he will make some shrewd moves to maximize the Twins' success.

#5 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

Great interview. The only thing that worries me is his overly positive assessment of the job Antony has done.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

Great interview. The only thing that worries me is his overly positive assessment of the job Antony has done.

Well I wouldn't expect him to say much different.

"“I’d like to see us take more left-handed pitching. That would be my preference. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the first guy, but that wouldn’t bother me either."

I think Newcomb is legitimately in play.

#7 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Great interview, JC. Sounds like TR will be back at the helm full-time sometime soon.

I feel better about TR righting the ship than any of the other in-house options but I still hope that when TR retires, the Pohlads will offer a change of direction and some bring in some outside perspective.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,816 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Super cool of him to continue supporting the efforts of the "non standard" media and fans. Thanks for part 1. Good stuff.

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Well I wouldn't expect him to say much different.

"“I’d like to see us take more left-handed pitching. That would be my preference. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the first guy, but that wouldn’t bother me either."

I think Newcomb is legitimately in play.

Please TR, don't let your minions draft for need with your first pick. BPA!

#10 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Nice article and good to see Terry give moving around a try. He's a tough cookie. I'm with cmat here on his Antony comment, but that's about all he could say.

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

Nice work Jim! Another masterpiece picked up by MLBTR:

http://www.mlbtrader...llies-jays.html

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

Please TR, don't let your minions draft for need with your first pick. BPA!

I agree, though I'm starting to like Newcomb. I don't think I'd be upset with the pick. Not sure who I want most outside of Aiken, Rodon and Kolek, but Newcomb, Jackson, Holmes, Gordon and Toussaint are probably the only other five I'd want considered right now.

#13 kblack1011

kblack1011

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

The Antony comment shouldn't surprise anyone, Ryan is the one who promoted him to his position. Also Ryan has been in regular contact with Antony, so it sounds like Ryan has had input into the moves this year.

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

The Antony comment shouldn't surprise anyone, Ryan is the one who promoted him to his position. Also Ryan has been in regular contact with Antony, so it sounds like Ryan has had input into the moves this year.

I hope this isn't true. Someone is going to end up having to take the heat for all of the missteps that have taken place since TR went down.

#15 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

Not going to bash Antony at this point as Ryan has had input most of the time off season and in season. This team IS a better team, is trending upward, and as a lot of really talented kids who continue to climb and provide excitement, even with the disappointing and frustrating injuries to Sano and Buxton. Mistakes have been made, absolutely, primarily in the OF/CF depth as we've all discussed and hammered home. But I'd just don't know that I can Antony out to dry for that all things considered.

Honestly a little surprised about the LHP comment. Not saying the organization is just loaded with future Santana or Liriano clones. And LHP is always hard to find in real quality and potential. I just find it an interesting and somewhat surprising comment because the team has concentrated pretty hard the past few years and there are a number of at least decent LHP in the minors with potential stretching from AAA to EST.

I still am a fan of Ryan as a man and leader for this organization. And I believe he has the ship righted and on course. Glad to see him feeling so much better and stronger.