Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Draft Preview: Nick Gordon

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...iew-Nick-Gordon

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#2 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

No problem taking Gordon but I will say Escobar has been a pleasant surprise. I was not high on him when we got him but he has won me over for the time being. Santana also looks like he could stick. Best part is I really haven't seen a drop off in defense since Florimon left. These guys have turned a huge weakness into a strength. Hopefully they can keep it up.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:13 AM

Escobar is just fine as a starting shortstop. Santana could be ok if things pan out. Polanco could play there. Goodrum...

But you always draft best available player because in 4-6 years, when Gordon is ready to debut, we don't know if the Twins will have a shortstop. We don't know anything about where they'll be in four years besides, hopefully, in center field where two years ago, the Twins took a guy at a position said to have plenty of depth because they were convicted in the thought that Mr. Buxton was the best player available.

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:37 AM

You can never have enough pitching. Hope the Twins will take one of the top 3 if they fall to them. Not sold on Nola as scouts have him rated anywhere from a two on down. If one of the big three are not there hope the Twins will take either Jackson or Gordon, though neither is a lock.
Only edge Nola has is that he could be here by 2016, that could be huge.

#5 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

....because they were convicted in the thought that Mr. Buxton was the best player...

I think half of Twins Daily is facing prison time...

#6 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

Escobar is just fine as a starting shortstop. Santana could be ok if things pan out. Polanco could play there. Goodrum...

But you always draft best available player because in 4-6 years, when Gordon is ready to debut, we don't know if the Twins will have a shortstop. We don't know anything about where they'll be in four years besides, hopefully, in center field where two years ago, the Twins took a guy at a position said to have plenty of depth because they were convicted in the thought that Mr. Buxton was the best player available.

I have heard our board has the three pitchers (Aiken, Rodon, Kolek), then Gordon. So we probably end up with Gordon (I think Jackson will go ahead of Gordon)

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

The real quesiton here is this: Can he play CF? :)

#8 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

Its true Seth, Injuries, free agency, position changes all argue that you don't draft out of need. Mauer came up when we had a very solid catcher in AJ and though some may not think so now it worked out pretty well for us.

#9 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

Its true Seth, Injuries, free agency, position changes all argue that you don't draft out of need. Mauer came up when we had a very solid catcher in AJ and though some may not think so now it worked out pretty well for us.

I am guessing Prior's career WAR is much higher.

HOF caliber numbers:

59% winning percentage. 3.51 career ERA, 1.22 WHIP. 10.4 K per 9.

Edited by tobi0040, 02 June 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#10 twinsguy14

twinsguy14

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

HOF caliber numbers:

Doesn't anyone remember that Prior would not come here?? As per USA Today June 17, 2010... "Prior made it clear, through his father, Jerry, that he wanted nothing to do with the Twins. Jerry Prior was emphatic that his son would not be signing with Minnesota..."

#11 Dave T

Dave T

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

HOF caliber numbers:

Prior only pitched for five years.

#12 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,097 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

Not sure, Dave....but I think there was sarcasm in tobi0040's post........
Lighten up Francis....

#13 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Not sure, Dave....but I think there was sarcasm in tobi0040's post........

Bingo.

#14 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

In the draft thread several people brought up the poor draft history of drafting HS SS and them actually sticking at the position. Looking at the last 4 drafts here are the HS SS drafted:

Manny Machado (3rd)
Cito Culver (33nd)

Fransico Lindor (8th)
Javier Baez (9th)
Jake Hager (32nd)

Carlos Correa (1st)
Addison Russell (11th)
Gavin Cecchini (12th)
Corey Seager (18th)

J.P. Crawford (16th)
Christian Arroyo (25th)

Machado has been playing 3B but that is because of Hardy not the lack of ability to play the position. Culver/Hager/Arroyo were all selected outside of the top 20 with Arroyo being considered the biggest reach in the draft last year. Law just released his updated top 25 and here are how the others did. Correa #2, Russell #5, Lindor #6, Baez #9, Seager # 11, and Crawford # 19. Seager was pegged when drafted to move off the position with Correa/Baez being players who might out grow the position in the future. Pretty solid group.

#15 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Mlbtraderumors Q&A with Gordon:

http://www.mlbtrader...ick-gordon.html

#16 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

But you always draft best available player because in 4-6 years, when Gordon is ready to debut, we don't know if the Twins will have a shortstop.

Pitching talent is always the coin du realme in the MLB. Right now it looks like the Twins have lots of potential talent in the minors, but history reveals that most of that promise will evaporate somewhere along that long, winding tube before it drips into that big old jug of sweet white lightnin' we all want a taste of.

We all know Tyler Kolek's got lightning in his bottle, but will it keep for three years while he figures out how to pick corners with a curve? I got my eye on a vintage more like Aaron Nola, dude that's got game right now. Some say it ain't so, but I think Nola will hit the MLB with a shot of strong stuff inside a year.

Meanwhile, a guy like Nick Gordon could turn out just fine, like a real good beer. But which metaphor tastes better? Which is the heavier figurative boot in the ass of this weak tea of a team?

You can trade one jug of white lightning for several cases of good beer, not to mention all the weak tea you can stomach. Take a pitcher!

#17 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

I think predicting this draft, from all accounts and rumors I've read, make this a real crapshoot. Lots of talent to be had for sure, but seems to be unpredictable who will take who.

Really like what I've seen of Escobar so far, a d generally impressed with Santana as well. Their approach at the plate is something I've been watching closely. Neither appears intimidated or "lost" up there, that's especially important to the less experienced Santana. With his bat, we all hope Polanco could be the answer. And while never seeing him in person, I'm not so sure Goodrum isn't the best SS prospect in the system, based on reports.

But not only has SS been kind of a black hole for a long time, but as smartly pointed out, you not only go for BPA overall, but in 4+ years from now, how can you know what your needs will be. I guess, overall, Gordon has replaced Turner as the best infield talent available, and the direction we will probably go. I just wish I could be a little more excited about his projectability for a #5 pick. I'm not real concerned about plus power in Gordon, but wish his hit and or speed factors rated a little higher.

#18 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

NG: I played running back and slot back and safety in football and in basketball I played shooting guard and small forward.l

From MLBTraderumors interview. Twins love their multisport athletes.

#19 Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

HOF caliber numbers:

Lol, no.

Prior's career WAR is significantly lower than Mauer's. Prior hasn't pitched in the ML for the better half of the past decade.

Prior's WAR is 15.7, with peak of 7.4 in 2003Mauer's WAR is 44.4, with peak of 7.7 in 2009

#20 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:07 AM

Lol, no.

Prior's career WAR is significantly lower than Mauer's. Prior hasn't pitched in the ML for the better half of the past decade.

Prior's WAR is 15.7, with peak of 7.4 in 2003Mauer's WAR is 44.4, with peak of 7.7 in 2009

Sarcasm alert.