Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/1): Prospect (Near) Perfecto

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...(Near)-Perfecto

#2 benji21

benji21

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

Whoa J.O!! This newly minted twenty-something is killing it. I seem to remember that only a start or two ago whoever wrote the report stated that it was arguably his best start at that time. It looks like he's outdone himself. This kid should be proud of himself.

#3 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

So....does JO stay at FT Myers all year no matter what or does this kid get moved to AA? Same question for Stewart..any question that he plays at Ft Myers this yr?

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

So....does JO stay at FT Myers all year no matter what or does this kid get moved to AA? Same question for Stewart..any question that he plays at Ft Myers this yr?

My assumption was that both would stay at their level all year. After JO's May, and now first start in June, I'm starting to think he could be a promotion candidate. I still expect Stewart to stick in CR.

#5 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

Thanks

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,091 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

My assumption was that both would stay at their level all year. After JO's May, and now first start in June, I'm starting to think he could be a promotion candidate. I still expect Stewart to stick in CR.

That sounds like the wisest course of action, for both players.

Seth, I am wondering if Mitch Garver's status has changed among the Twins braintrust? Is he getting closer to having the chops behind home plate? He's 1.5 years above average for Low A, and it appears that he's too good for Midwest League pitchers. After a blazing start in April, he went on a 3-week slump to start May, but in his last 14 games, counting today, his slash indicates he is back on fire again, with a very improved K/BB ratio: .340/.450/.491/.941.

For the year, he currently sits at .304/.388/.492/,880

Given his 4-year college player status and his success in Cedar Rapids, is he ready for promotion? And has he moved up the prospect ranks yet to be considered a possible future Twin? As has been reported, he caught or played every game his last 3 years at New Mexico, I would think that durability at the position goes a long way for the purposes of fast-tracking these days.

#7 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

FYI. Eddie Rosario is a "she"...at this point. (fixed--ed.)

Some positive things though. Pretty stoked to see Berrios continue to dominate and Kohl to bounce back after a poor start.

Edited by Kevin, 01 June 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#8 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Quick Question...the Super 2 is that 'date' based on last year's rookies or this year's?

I know it's based on an aggregate of some sorts. With Oscar Taveras up as well as Garin Cecchini (Bos) and other rookies...does that 'move up the date' to earlier than the usual mid-to-late June date?

I ask, as in application to the possible promotion of May an/or Meyer.

#9 Madre Dos

Madre Dos

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

OK - will the nay-sayers get off Jose's back? He's hard working and obviously talented.

#10 drschmidt11

drschmidt11

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

Great stuff. What's the status of Lewis Thorpe and Stephen Gonsalves?

#11 gbg

gbg

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

OK - will the nay-sayers get off Jose's back? He's hard working and obviously talented.

Earlier this week, some commentor on the Strib site listed him as one of the "Twins draft picks that were busts." Wow.

#12 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Great stuff. What's the status of Lewis Thorpe and Stephen Gonsalves?

extended spring training.

#13 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

Does anyone know what happened to Zach Jones? I see he has been on the DL all season. He was the reliever with the 100MPH fast ball.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

Does anyone know what happened to Zach Jones? I see he has been on the DL all season. He was the reliever with the 100MPH fast ball.

In the offseason, he had an aneurysm found in his right shoulder, so he had surgery. Later, they found a blood clot in his leg which delayed him further. He is now in Ft. Myers, slowly working back. He'll be fine, but he probably won't pitch too much this year.

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

That sounds like the wisest course of action, for both players.

Seth, I am wondering if Mitch Garver's status has changed among the Twins braintrust? Is he getting closer to having the chops behind home plate? He's 1.5 years above average for Low A, and it appears that he's too good for Midwest League pitchers. After a blazing start in April, he went on a 3-week slump to start May, but in his last 14 games, counting today, his slash indicates he is back on fire again, with a very improved K/BB ratio: .340/.450/.491/.941.

For the year, he currently sits at .304/.388/.492/,880

Given his 4-year college player status and his success in Cedar Rapids, is he ready for promotion? And has he moved up the prospect ranks yet to be considered a possible future Twin? As has been reported, he caught or played every game his last 3 years at New Mexico, I would think that durability at the position goes a long way for the purposes of fast-tracking these days.

Obviously, we know that the numbers mean less the further a player is from the big leagues. Obviously a guy that's older than the league average should, in theory, be able to perform. That said, I always say that a player can't control what level the organization puts him at. All he can control is how he handles it, and to some degree, how he can perform. Could he move up to Ft. Myers? Sure, however, note that a higher draft pick, Stuart Turner, is struggling with the Miracle.

Turner's ceiling is OK starter, solid backup. Mitch Garver's ceiling is probably a backup catcher/utility infielder, so his speed to the big leagues isn't as important.

#16 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Like to point out every once in a while that Dozier was an 8th round choice and the #30 Twins prospect in 2010. Just to show that while a lot of attention is on the high prospects and we have a lot of them, they don't always pan out. On the other hand there are those lower rated prospects that do pan out. Its why I don't mind seeing projections but try to ignore ceiling comments especially for position players.

#17 Madre Dos

Madre Dos

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

Earlier this week, some commentor on the Strib site listed him as one of the "Twins draft picks that were busts." Wow.

I guess he was wrong and BTW - Valentina his daughter is absolutely beautiful!