Again, we are waiting on the coffee ... once up, engaged, thinking, thoughts will be posted. By Brian. By all.
Things to Think About:
1. Phil Hughes -- Returning to Yankee stadium... Ballplayers publicly will express the "just another game" cliché from time to time but this has to be more than "just another game" for Mr. Hughes. He was a consistent average to bad ERA during his time as a Yankee. The Yankee press and mild mannered fans used to use filthy language in his direction. Sister Agnes from St. Patricks once called him a %%$**%&*^$$# in the June 12, 2011 church bulletin and the Cardinals all agreed. He arrived at the age of 21... Ballyhooed as a prospect and unmet expectation were a bad combination in a fish bowl like Yankeeville. He's had a fantastic turnaround thus far in 2014 with our Twins. Many people attribute it to leaving the Yankee stadium bandbox. I think it's the facial hair. Facial hair is banned in New York... since coming to Minnesota. He's letting his face freak flag fly. This probably isn't just another game... I think Phil wants to show everyone... that he... umm... can grow facial hair.
2. Chase Whitley -- A 24 year old converted reliever takes the mound for the Yankees... I'm not sure anyone had this guy on their prospect radar but the health issues with the rotation has forced the Yankees to be creative. I've never seen him pitch before so I don't know what he offers but I have read that he spent time as a closer in the minors and the Yankees have only recently started to stretch him out as a starter. We talk about learning curves on TD and weather they should take place in MLB or the minors. Here is a case... out of necessity where the player has to learn and develop at the highest level. He's from Ranburne Alabama population 459... The other 458 people in Ranburne just sit on the porch and look at the junked cars on their lawn.
3. Brian Dozier -- The guy has hit a rough patch... He must have left his bat in San Francisco (Try reading that line without singing). In the past 8 games he is 2 for 31... In comparison... Aaron Hicks is 2 for 11 in his past 7 games and Aaron is doing that while learning to hit on a unicycle. If anybody would have started the season 2 for 27. The articles and posts would be flying. Don't get me wrong... I love the Bull-Dozier... I'm not suggesting that we send him down immediately. It's just a slump but my larger point is... If he's scuffling... It's Ok to give him a day of rest. I would have given Nunez a start today at 2B against his former club.
4. Jason Kubel -- Kubes is back in the lineup today. In the past 15 games... Jason is 0 for his last 17. Jason kicked off the season nicely but nice has turned belligerent as the calendar turns to June. I have no problem with him being in the lineup. I do believe that if you are rostered... You should play some days. Kubel has spent some time on the bench lately. However... I'd like to point out that Parmelee hasn't played much lately and Pinto hasn't played much either. Kubel seems to be the go to guy slumpee.
5. Talkative Women -- I was reading a newspaper article that stated that Women have better verbal skills than Men. Well... Clearly that article was written by a... umm... you know... umm... You see... I think they practice it lots.
Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 01 June 2014 - 11:13 AM.