Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Kohl Stewart: 6.8 K/9?

minors stewart strikeouts
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,744 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

If this approach works... I bet you anything teams around the league start doing it too. I wouldn't be surprised if it is already a talking point.

Pretty surprised by the negative reactions to this.

Well the negative reactions are basically just concerns, because as you noted, there's an IF regarding the success of the approach. It seems to be new. I think most of us are for inovative ideas, but if the ideas have very little in the way of a track record, our optimism is based more on faith than on proof. I like the approach, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't have concerns.

#42 tobi0040

tobi0040

• 5,693 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

Baseball is about adapting. I almost guarantee the twins sat down and created a plan for Stewart. Developmentally and health-wise. I like this approach a lot. Who cares if he strikes out a few less batters for a season (or a few months... We don't know). If this approach works... I bet you anything teams around the league start doing it too. I wouldn't be surprised if it is already a talking point.

Pretty surprised by the negative reactions to this.

Agreed. The problem with developing a fastball and change in the low minors (when you have a plus slider) is you rely on the slider when you get in trouble. His ERA is in the 2.50 range, so I have no concerns and think we will have a better MLB pitcher in 2-3 years as a result.

#43 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,478 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Heck, I don't understand putting value in any minor league stats.

Minor league stats viewed broadly have shown a lot of predictive power. They were a reason for instance to expect Escobar to hit better this year than Florimon, not that Escobar's likely going to continue the current torrid pace.

The point of the minor leagues is to develop.

True, but essentially every minor league player plays under this same constraint, so again the stats that accrue can have meaning. The dreaded Small Sample Size of course obscures meaning.

/ I don't really want to sidetrack this thread so if much response is called for let's take to a new thread

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minors, stewart, strikeouts