Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Comparing April to May

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

The Twins were a .500 team in April (12-12). They rode a surprising offense to that record despite disappointing pitching and problems putting together an outfield consisting of outfielders. In May, they finished three games below .500 (13-16), although their pitching improved, hitting predictably fell off and defensive problems persisted.

Hitting

April 832 AB 131 R 211 H 47 2B 20 HR 122 RBI 123 BB 222 K .254 BA .754 OPS
May 952 AB 91 R 222 H 49 2B 22 HR 86 RBI 79 BB 232 K .233 BA .650 OPS

Pitching

April 217.2 IP 241 H 122 ER 20 HR 82 BB 137 K 5.06 ERA
May 250.2 IP 254 H 111 ER 21 HR 65 BB 178 K 3.99 ERA

The raw numbers--the Twins score 40 less runs and 5 more games. They allowed 11 less earned runs in 5 additional games. The club's run differential slipped to -24. Many players slipped a great deal--Kubel, Colabello, Plouffe and Dozier. The roster has turned over quite a bit, but the regulars need to hit for the Twins to stay around .500.

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

Not sure who April is, but May has been pitching pretty well recently...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for that, Stringer. I'm not surprised that the hitting was so poor in May...Willy and Arcia were out most of the month, and we saw a historically terrible Joe Mauer. We should expect better hitting going forward with these three situations amended.

The sub-4 May ERA really surprised me though. That's middle of the pack in the AL. If that can hold up, and the hitting improves to what I think the mean is, we should be able to linger around .500. I would be delighted with that.

#4 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for that, Stringer. I'm not surprised that the hitting was so poor in May...Willy and Arcia were out most of the month, and we saw a historically terrible Joe Mauer. We should expect better hitting going forward with these three situations amended.

Good point, but there's the counter that guys like Suzuki, Escobar, and others could take a step back from their early success. Kubel posted a 122 wRC in April and may have a single digit number of games as Twin left after a 39 wRC May and Arcia's loud return. And a whole bunch of Twins April offense fed off of the feel-good month that Colabello had.

It looks like a net wash to me at best. Hoping that a healthy Willi might hit well enough to bring something worthwhile in trade, and Arcia... well, what a series, fingers crossed for his future.

#5 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Not sure who April is...

Remember the name of that adult entertainer in Laguna Beach? I do. It was April. It's not the money, I do it for you...

Posted Image

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,519 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the numbers, SB. At least this season is still an adventure. And more enjoyable than the last 3 years.

It will be intriguing to see if Mauer figures it out and returns to some semblance of his normal self; Dozier can rebound a little and maintain decent if not spectacular numbers while keeping us entertained with his fielding; someone (Escobar?) settles into the shortstop position; Willingham shows enough to have some value at the trade deadline and someone settles in at CF so we stop playing musical outfielders.

On the pitching side, I'm anxious to see if Hughes can continue to be the closest thing to an Ace that the Twins have had for years (also anyone want to take bets on when he gives up his next walk? Today in Yankee Stadium???); if Nolasco finally has it together enough to be the innings eater we expected; whether Correia can continue to dodge bullets; and whether Gibson can maintain a satisfactory performance over the entire course of the season.

I want to continue to see younger players get opportunities even if that also has an element of failure. I did not, and do not, think this is a playoff team but I want them to keep me interested in the progress they are making.

#7 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

I think the hope needs to be that the pitching settles in at May levels and the hitting settles in midway between April and May levels. IT's been a much more entertaining year so far, to be sure.

#8 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

I think the hope needs to be that the pitching settles in at May levels and the hitting settles in midway between April and May levels. IT's been a much more entertaining year so far, to be sure.

This. And the numbers achieved in May really aren't hope-based. The May numbers are reality-based, given the staff's overall pitching history. The only big outlier to the upside in quality outings was Hughes, but there is nothing to suggest that Phil will turn into a pumpkin overnight. Gibson and Deduno should continue to be inconsistent, but at times dominating, Nolasco's history is to improve as the season progresses, and now the Twins have guys knocking on the door, both in AAA and AA, who look to have potential instant positive impact, both as the eventual successor to Correia, and for whomever falters in the rotation or the pen.

#9 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

The team seems to have a few well defined holes. Escobar has for now plugged the big one at SS. Santana has been a good hitting 4th OF/ CF, but Hicks in CF and Kubel as DH have been black holes n the lineup with Hicks showing a little bit lately. The Twins are rumored to be in on John Jay from St Louis to take over CF and Kubel we can replace internally.

On pitching the big hole was/is Pelfry who appears to be out for the year, Corriea who is coming around a little with a 4.76 ERA since May 1rst after a horrendous April. and Nolasco who isn't going anywhere after signing that big contract last offseason. It does appear that we have several options ready in AAA to fill in the rotation when management decides to do something to upgrade.

I do feel optimistic enough to believe we have a .500 team this year and if some of our up coming pitching changes take place then we could potentially compete for a wild card spot this year.

(Mauer has been exempted from being considered part of the problem due to high on base percentage and past performance. That will change if he hasn't made the adjustments to get back on track by the All Star break).

Edited by Brandon, 01 June 2014 - 10:35 AM.