Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Selling your All-Star game tickets

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kydoty

kydoty

First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

Fair or Foul?

I ask because that's what I did. As a season ticket holder, I had access to All-Star game tickets before the public did and I bought two back in April for $1,400.

Flash forward to today, and my tickets sold on StubHub for over $3,400, leaving me with a $2,000 profit.

Is it bad of me that I put a price on a bucket list item of mine?

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

#2 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

This armchair umpire was signaling "fair ball" until I got to the last sentence. I was thinking that this was a business transaction, and with free will, you decided that the cash was more important to you than the All-Star experience...nothing wrong with that. Plus you gave somebody else that really wanted to see the game the chance to see the game, at a price they were apparently comfortable with.

But then you said seeing an All-Star game is a bucket list item for you. It's a bucket list item, you held tickets to see the game in your favorite team's home park, and you passed on a bucket list item in order to make a $2000 profit? What you are telling us that putting $2000 in the bank was more important to you than scratching an item off your bucket list. FOUL BALL!!!

Now that's my original call, but under the new rules, you can challenge and ask for the call to be reviewed. I will change my call to fair ball if you can provide either of these clarifications:

1) You are about to lose your house, or your best friend needed the $2000 for a life-saving operation, so you desperately needed the 2 grand. You believe you will have many more opportunities to see a game.

2) You have changed your mind about seeing an All-Star game being on your bucket list, and it's actually just something that you were mildly interested in. I would understand this. I went to the 1985 All-Star game in the Dome, and that day doesn't crack my top ten baseball experiences. Overrated in my opinion.

That's my call...do you want to appeal to the replay guys in NY?

#3 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

I actually would wonder if you could turn around and buy a different set of tickets for cheaper than what yours sold for and you could still make a net gain from it...

#4 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

It all depends on what you do with your $2000. It better go towards something amazing!

#5 jjswol

jjswol

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationMinnesota or Florida

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

Fair or Foul?

I ask because that's what I did. As a season ticket holder, I had access to All-Star game tickets before the public did and I bought two back in April for $1,400.

Flash forward to today, and my tickets sold on StubHub for over $3,400, leaving me with a $2,000 profit.

Is it bad of me that I put a price on a bucket list item of mine?

That is the American way!
[FONT=arial black]jjswol
[/FONT]

#6 Wookiee of the Year

Wookiee of the Year

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

The question you leave me wondering is: When you bought the tickets in April, what percent chance would you have said there was at the time that you would sell the tickets?

#7 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

I am just amazed that people are paying $1700 for a ticket. Well played. Now, turn that $2000 around and buy a ticket to Brazil to watch the World Cup?

#8 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

I need to buy some all star tickets next year. Seems like a good investment.

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

It's your deal. You cannot crowd-source answers regarding how you personally feel about something you did...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

As the owner of all-star tickets, albeit less expensive ones, I'm looking at your dollar figures and questioning whether I really need to go to the game too....

#11 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

I talked with The Voice of Reason about this.

I'm 47 years old. I'm not going to get a chance anytime soon - or maybe ever - to go to the All-Star Game in my own ballpark. Ultimately, I decided that if I sold those tickets, when I looked back say 20 years from now, I'd wonder why the hell I was so interested in that extra bit of money.

#12 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

I was thinking about doing this too. Though my profit wouldn't be anywhere near that much.

#13 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

I'd take the 2 grand and run with it. Easy money is hard to come by.