Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mauer and Emotion

joe mauer
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:30 PM

Yes that is what the stat represented, but I am willing to bet it was a very small %.

I wish I knew how to dig into stats more. I would like to see his BA the last two seasons w/ RISP in innings 6-9

Baseball Reference does a prettygod job of approximating what you're looking for...here's Mauer's 2014 splits page:

http://www.baseball-...1&year=2014&t=b

#42 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:19 AM

Mauer is really in a no win situation at this point. If he continues being himself people will complain about not being a vocal leader and having no fire. If he suddenly turns the corner and becomes a "Rah rah" guy the same people will call him fake (and probably rightfully so at that point).

#43 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

The last time he showed emotion it disturbed his teammates so much they told him not to do that again.

jim-thome-walkoff-celebration1.jpg

#44 strumdatjag

strumdatjag

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

For those who are both Baseball and Wrestling fans, I see a parallel between the fans' reaction to Mauer and the WWE fans' reaction to John Cena. The casual fan will accept them as their favorite player but the more than casual fan is quick to boo both of them. Mauer and Cena exude "uncoolness" and "goody-goody". However, in both cases, the casual fan has it right. Because over time, both are at the top level; they are Hall of Fame caliber performers in their chosen professions. Look at the stats of many Hall of Famers and you will see one or two years where their numbers dipped. In his second season, Rod Carew hit 273. George Brett had several years where he batted in the .280s and one where he batted in the .250s. The currently adored and retiring Derek Jeter slumped to a batting average of .270 in 2010 before bouncing back to more productive numbers.

#45 strumdatjag

strumdatjag

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

By the way, is anyone out there willing to bet that Kurt Suzuki will have a better batting average than Joe Mauer at the end of the season? I'm even willing to bet that WAR and other stats will favor Mauer by the end of this season.

#46 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

People still watch wrestling?

#47 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

The last time he showed emotion it disturbed his teammates so much they told him not to do that again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7614[/ATTACH]

Damn I miss those days. That was a fun season.

#48 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 7,050 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

People still watch wrestling?

A few, but NCAA wrestling viewership has virtually disappeared since professional indoor mixed martial hang-gliding stole its audience.

Posted Image

#49 Westgaard66

Westgaard66

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

Baseball Reference does a prettygod job of approximating what you're looking for...here's Mauer's 2014 splits page:

http://www.baseball-...1&year=2014&t=b

Well here is some clutch stats for Mr. Mauer.

Posted Image

#50 Westgaard66

Westgaard66

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

Look at the 1st two rows.

ANTI-CLUTCH

#51 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,914 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:28 AM

Look at the 1st two rows.

ANTI-CLUTCH

24 and 33 plate appearances.

Hey, look what happens when you look at his career line instead of a week's worth of plate appearances:

mauer-sigh.jpg

SUPER CLUTCH.

(that doesn't really exist but whatever)

#52 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Mauer has been disappointing.

But I can't imagine that any of us are much more disappointed in his performance than is Joe Mauer.

He has always seemed a bit of a perfectionist to me and his inability to make adjustments thus far this year has to be incredibly frustrating to him.

What will serve Joe Mauer best? Probably his legendary stoicism and his long time work ethic and desire to improve his game. This would be the best time to let patience and persistence work for him rather than some new emotion.

#53 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,314 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

Is this approaching the worst contract in the game right now? I think the Dodgers have worse, but they have near infinite money, and a willingness to spend it, so I think you have to DQ those.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#54 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,914 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

Is this approaching the worst contract in the game right now?

Uh.... Alex Rodriguez.

Also Ryan Howard, Josh Hamilton, and CC Sabathia.

#55 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

Self-Appointed, Chief Executive Twins Daily Lurker

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

Is this approaching the worst contract in the game right now? I think the Dodgers have worse, but they have near infinite money, and a willingness to spend it, so I think you have to DQ those.

The Twins sell more than $23 Million in pink Mauer jerseys every year. His contract has no effect on the Twins.

"I lurk so hard, you thought I was a DJ." Limestone Baggy

"In order to have a testimony, you have to have a test." Teddy Bridgewater

#56 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,314 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

Uh.... Alex Rodriguez.

Also Ryan Howard, Josh Hamilton, and CC Sabathia.

Don't think the Yankees care about money one way or the other. They signed two of the biggest offseason contracts last year. Now, Howard, that might be up there. I had forgotten about Howard somehow......Hamilton? Probably worse than Mauer, true.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#57 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,914 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

Now, Howard, that might be up there. I had forgotten about Howard somehow......Hamilton? Probably worse than Mauer, true.

From 2010-2013, the Phillies paid Ryan Howard $79m.

He posted a 1.4 combined WAR during that time.

During that same time frame, Joe posted a 16.6 combined WAR and was paid $81.5m.

#58 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,314 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

It wasnt obvious I was talking about going forward, and this year, not the past?

#59 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

Adam Dunn, 2011-2013, $41 million.

WAR: -1.8

Not such a large contract and only 4 years but still not great.

The eventual evaluation of Mauer's contract depends on whether the can turn things around.

#60 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

It wasnt obvious I was talking about going forward, and this year, not the past?

Unless you are Carnac, neither you nor I nor anyone else knows what will happen from here out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joe mauer