Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Optimistic about Gibson

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:27 PM

I know some of Gibson's stats are out of line with his 4-4 record and 4.18 ERA. He throws too many pitches out of the strike zone and he doesn't strike out a high number of hitters. After watching Gibson pitch today, I can say I think he has the pitches and the makeup to be a success in the big leagues. I don't know if he'll ever contend for a Cy Young or be considered the staff ace, but he throws with enough velocity and movement that he can and should be effective. Gibson has a pretty good slider and change to go along with his fastball. Of late, he is improving his BB/K ratio and getting a few more swings and misses. The ground ball rate remains high and he's kept the ball in the park.

#2 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:43 PM

I cant keep from thinking about a game maybr 4 starts ago gibson was sent out in the 7th after throwing 91 pitches thru 6 and ending up giving up i think 3-5 runs in 2/3 of the 7th. If he had not been sent out which at the time i was surprised he was...ifi remember right it was ccold night and the offense had a long bottom of the sixth...i wonder what his numbers would be and where his confidence would be.

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

Gibson's effort against Texas was much more of a credible performance than Saunders against the Twins. Texas has been one of the hottest, if not the hottest, team in baseball for the last couple weeks, including the shelling of Tigers starters, Verlander, Porcello and rookie phenom, Ray over the weekend.

He's still a little lucky, but I can't remember the last game where I saw more guys fouling pitches off their feet and legs so the ball must be really moving. And this is 2 games in a row now with no Bases on Balls. The big thing to take him to the next level is convincing Gibson that he has the stuff to take his show on the road, his road record is abominable.

#4 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:40 PM

He has what it takes to be an average/slightly above average pitcher in this league. And that's not a bad thing.
He might get his ERA down to high 3's or mid 4, if he can get 200 innings a year he is a good asset on the team to have under team control for next several years.