Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Playing Over Their Heads, But That's OK

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

It is almost June, and I am still excited when I'm home and have the time to watch the Twins (and I'm not blacked out). Pretty remarkable considering how bad they were last year and how bad they were expected (by many) to be this year. I'll take "playing over their heads" if it means a win about 1/2 the time. And I'll have continuing reasons to watch as Arcia gets back/healthy, Dozier continues Doziering, Hicks goes to RH-only, Gibson continues getting better (hopefully), Santana gets more time in the majors, Meyer/May get to come up and pitch, and Kubel/Parmelee/Guerrier get removed from the team.

#22 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

I survived Twins 2016

• Twins Mods
  • 9,351 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

Entertaining? Not so sure, they've been interesting though.

Arcia is one great breath of fresh air, you can't help but get excited when he's doing what he did last night.

#23 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

This is a fun team to watch. And they look like they're having fun themselves. Just on the cusp of being good, kind of like the group that surprised everyone in what? 2000? when MLB wanted to close them down. I've got a feeling we won't have the total collapse as has been the case the last three years.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,934 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

I've got a feeling we won't have the total collapse as has been the case the last three years.

Complete collapses are a lot less likely when you have two pitchers in the rotation that are above average. IMO, that's the big difference between this year and the last two seasons.

#25 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

If memory serves, this time last year, Dozier was hitting worse than Hicks is now, Hicks was hitting worse than Hicks is now, and Florimon was playing every day. Morneau was in some kind of powerless blackhole, and Doumit was getting ABs, oftentimes in the OF over Arcia and Parms. 1 starter had an ERA under 5 in the month of May last year: PJ Walters (This year isn't much better, only Hughes and Deduno meet that metric).

My personal bar for entertainment is improvement. I hate seeing my team get worse. If they're getting better, I'm entertained, though I admit "improvement" is a very subjective term.

Still, given that background, yes I'm entertained. The bar is low, but we've seen the Twins fail to clear low bars before. Maybe that's just because I have feelings for the 2011-2013 Twins that amount to whatever the opposite of nostalgia is.

#26 jharaldson

jharaldson

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

[FONT=Arial]“It grabbed,” Mauer said. “Every sneeze, every movement, right away, it grabbed. I’d be trying to get ready for the game, and every time my heel hit the ground, it was shooting pain. I had to calm it down. I was hoping I could get back in the lineup a little sooner, but I was able to get back in there after a couple of days, and I haven’t had any problems since.”[/FONT]

Mauer stated in the article that after a couple of days the back issue went away. I think we have to take him at his word on this and can't project an injury on him to explain away his performance.

#27 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

I think the fact that we can turn on essentially any game, and have a reasonable hope for a win is entertainment enough. Unlike last year when there were numerous days when I avoided checking the score because I knew it was going to be ugly.

#28 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

Romero instead of Kubel would be a very welcome improvement. Romero has stuck with the organization and is ready to contribute. And that RH bat is needed given Colabello's collapse and departure, and Willingham's continued decline.

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 15,367 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

Compared to last year... I've been much more entertained. It got pretty frustrating last year watching the team lay down and I think they layed down in 2013.

Station to station baserunning... Average effort pursuit of baseballs. I really felt nobody was getting their money's worth.

This year... It's been better... I'm seeing Plouffe get dirty... Dozier of course being a gamer... I'm seeing Mauer effort at first. I'm seeing some clutch hits... More contact and putting the ball in play.

It ain't perfect yet... We still have OF defensive issues... And the base running is still more careful then I personally like... But it's getting better.

In 2013... I didn't think they gave full value for the price of a ticket. So far in 2014... I'd say they are exactly the value of a price of a ticket.

Ummm Upper Deck Ticket.

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,934 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

Romero instead of Kubel would be a very welcome improvement. Romero has stuck with the organization and is ready to contribute. And that RH bat is needed given Colabello's collapse and departure, and Willingham's continued decline.

In a perfect world, we see Gardy start rotating Pinto into the catching spot 40+% of the time as Suzuki wears down... Then, some time around the ASG, we see Vargas get the call if he keeps raking.

OF of Willingham, Arcia, Parmelee, and Hicks (Fuld?) with Pinto/Vargas rotating through the DH and catcher spots. Maybe Vargas occasionally spells Mauer at first.

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

I think you are dreaming on Vargas, but we'll see.

My more ideal than today OF/DH/C world:
? in LF (not willingham, wish it was Rosario, but not likely at all)
Hicks in CF
Arcia in RF
Pinto DH 45% of time, Vargas or Willingham 55% of time (occassional Mauer)
Suzuki c 45% of time, Pinto 55%

Fuld, and, ummm, on the bench. (maybe Kubel, but I have my doubts about his future)

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#32 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,898 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

Compared to last year... I've been much more entertained. It got pretty frustrating last year watching the team lay down and I think they layed down in 2013.

Station to station baserunning... Average effort pursuit of baseballs. I really felt nobody was getting their money's worth.

This year... It's been better... I'm seeing Plouffe get dirty... Dozier of course being a gamer... I'm seeing Mauer effort at first. I'm seeing some clutch hits... More contact and putting the ball in play.

It ain't perfect yet... We still have OF defensive issues... And the base running is still more careful then I personally like... But it's getting better.

In 2013... I didn't think they gave full value for the price of a ticket. So far in 2014... I'd say they are exactly the value of a price of a ticket.

Ummm Upper Deck Ticket.

Find a postgame picture after the walk-off. I've don't think I've ever seen an after-game dirtier 1st Baseman's uniform than Mauer's- last night he was the very Gardy definition of "gettin after it" in the field.

#33 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

Hicks in CF
Arcia in RF

Fuld, and, ummm, on the bench. (maybe Kubel, but I have my doubts about his future)

I hear that that ? fellow has got some serious potential

#34 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hicks in CF
Arcia in RF

What about Parmelee?

#35 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

Complete collapses are a lot less likely when you have two pitchers in the rotation that are above average. IMO, that's the big difference between this year and the last two seasons.

Yep, that do make a difference.

#36 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

It ain't perfect yet... We still have OF defensive issues...

Ummm Upper Deck Ticket.

Would love to hear some theme music when we take the field on defense. How about "I Don't Want to Lose Your Love Tonight," by The Outfield?

#37 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

They are like the opposite of the Timberwolves who were the phythag kings last year yet couldn't actually win a close game.

#38 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

"have to believe that at least one of them will end up being a significant improvement over Correia and possibly Gibson" At the moment insert Nolasco in place of Gibson. Not that Gibson has been a world beater but his ERA is one and a half runs better than Nolasco.

#39 tmerrickkeller

tmerrickkeller

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

Romero/Fuld for Kubel would be fine with me. I think the best chance at sustained pretty-good-or-better comes when we have a rotation of Nolasco, Meyer, Hughes, May and Gibson, move Deduno (love him but you know that the best you can hope for is 5-6 innings per start) to the bullpen to replace Guerrier.

Yes, I also hold out hope for some position player advancement later in the year, but I think we're pretty tapped out right now for position players in the high minors ready to help. But with Mauer, Dozier, Escobar, Plouffe, Hammer, Hicks, and Arcia, Suzuki and Pinto, with bench of Romero/Fuld, Parmelee, Santana, and Nunez....we could stay relevant.

It is going to take Buxton, Sano, Rosario, Vargas, or some FA help before we really turn the corner and turn up the juice on Target Field.

#40 LaBombo

LaBombo

3 TD warning points and the death sentence in 12 systems.

• Members
  • 5,943 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

"have to believe that at least one of them will end up being a significant improvement over Correia and possibly Gibson" At the moment insert Nolasco in place of Gibson. Not that Gibson has been a world beater but his ERA is one and a half runs better than Nolasco.

For better or worse, Nolaco's contract buys him a loooong leash, barring injury, 'injury', or complete Blackburny collapse. And Gibson is still perceived to still have upside, small as it now may be.

And not only is Correia the only clear bubble guy, the Twins may feel they only have one starter ready for the majors. While Meyer has been dominant and clearly has higher upside than May, his walk rate is still hovering around a batter every other inning. The Twins, being the Twins and all, may feel that he needs to lower that rate before being promoted, no matter how successful he is in Rochester.

Edited by LaBombo, 28 May 2014 - 05:19 PM.