Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Kohl Stewart Reflects on the Draft & His First Year as a Professional

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:13 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-a-Professional

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#2 jimv2

jimv2

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

This is a spectacular article. I wish there were a way to pin it to the front page of TD because it is the answer to people who keep asking why so and so hasn't been promoted given that his ERA/OPS/whatever stat you pick is so good. The answer is that's not what the Twins are measuring. They're measuring (for starting pitchers anyway) all the things Kohl is talking about, things that don't really show up in the box score and really don't show up in season-long stats. It seems clear from this that Kohl understands what it will take to succeed and where he needs to grow--at least for the first year or two. He'll be given more things to learn as he progresses up the ladder.

And I really liked the emphasis on the challenges inherent in going from a high school season to a pro season, you sort of have to train your arm to deal with the far more frequent use. I imagine that not everybody's arm can make that adjustment--another risk factor in evaluating players.

#3 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the article. A lot of great info. I have been a giant Stewart fan since I saw him pitch last year. Definitely my favorite Twins prospect.

#4 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:16 PM

That's a rag-tag group of lawn chairs

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:37 PM

Very nicely written. Appreciate Kohl and the Twins giving us this insight.

#6 Carneal&Gordon

Carneal&Gordon

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:26 AM

Great article and appreciate Kohl's willingness to share his experience with the fans.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:18 AM

When the Twins drafted Stewart last year, he had a bit of a reputation of arrogance, not that that's a big deal. I do know that when I talked to him this spring, he was very good. From the look of this story, he was also terrific. That's great to see, and yet, I love when players do have great confidence because I think that's instrumental in them becoming great players.

#8 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:19 AM

When the Twins drafted Stewart last year, he had a bit of a reputation of arrogance, not that that's a big deal. I do know that when I talked to him this spring, he was very good. From the look of this story, he was also terrific. That's great to see, and yet, I love when players do have great confidence because I think that's instrumental in them becoming great players.

I agree… would a truly arrogant person admit that he has actually felt homesick at times this season?

I am also amazed how well this young man grasps that his goal is not 'to be the best MWL pitcher', but to prepare himself for MLB.

#9 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

Yeah, amjgt, I should have done a tighter job of cropping that picture. My photographer friends are rolling their eyes when they see that, I'm sure.

#10 panolo

panolo

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

Great article! Thank you! Even more impressed with Stewart after reading this!

#11 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

I agree… would a truly arrogant person admit that he has actually felt homesick at times this season?

I am also amazed how well this young man grasps that his goal is not 'to be the best MWL pitcher', but to prepare himself for MLB.

I think you hit it right on the nose. Kohl obviously is a very good athlete and has probably been the star of every team he's ever been on, but I did not sense arrogance from him in the least. That doesn't mean he isn't confident in his abilities, of course.

As to grasping his goal, I agree. That also should remind us of the challenging job a pitching coach like Ivan Arteaga has working with pitchers at this level. Someone like Stewart is working on the goal of being the best MLB pitcher he can be some day, but a lot of other pitchers need to be helped to be the best MWL pitcher they can be today, just to survive another year in professional baseball.

Almost with every player interview I do, I gain more and more appreciation for the work that Arteaga, Tommy Watkins and Jake Mauer do with these guys every day.

Edited by SD Buhr, 28 May 2014 - 07:51 AM.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

The coaches, at all the levels, have a much more difficult job than I think we will ever understand. Different personalities. Different skill sets. Motivation. But I do think there is a consistent theme among coaches, because I heard it from Gary Lucas too, that the goal is to be the best MLB pitcher, not whatever league their in. So, it has to be about development above results until they get to the big leagues.

#13 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

I would forget about Stewart being promoted this season unless it is at the very end. He's essentially doing instructional work during games. He's improving his fastball and changeup while building stamina. Good things to work on.

#14 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

I would forget about Stewart being promoted this season unless it is at the very end. He's essentially doing instructional work during games. He's improving his fastball and changeup while building stamina. Good things to work on.

Whether promoted after the AS break or not, it is good to see Kohl working on his pitches and mechanics. I still see him going to Ft. Myers in July as part of the Twins moving pitchers up--starting with Meyer to MLB. The big thing is that Kohl keeps working and improving as the year goes by. In any case, I see him in New Britain at the end of 2015 and maybe a Sept. call-up.

Great article. Thanks.