Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game Thread: Rangers@Twins 5/27 7:10PM

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#1 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

Per Jeff Wilson Ft Worth Star Telegram

http://www.star-tele...sday-start.html

While the Rangers are reported to be optimistic about Darvish's quick recovery, I suddenly became more optimistic that the Twins now won't be swept by the Rangers.

It will be interesting to see what Big Spot Scott has left in the tank.

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Baker --> Darvish
=
Gehrig --> Pipp

#3 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Game-time forecast: Mostly cloudy with a 40-percent chance of rain. Winds blowing from left to right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 80.

Rangers:
SP, Baker

Choo LF
Andrus SS
Moreland 1B
Beltre 3B
Rios RF
Gimenez C
Martin CF
Murphy DH
Odor 2B

Twins:
SP, Hughes

Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Plouffe 3B
Arcia RF
Willingham DH
Parmelee LF
Suzuki C
Escobar SS
Hicks CF

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Left Handedness -- TD is buzzing with the announcement that Aaron Hicks is going to stop hitting left handed. Many of us have been asking for such a thing for quite some time but I think we never expected it to actually happen. It turns out that Hicks has made the decision on his own and he is now with the Majority of Americans. He is a right handed person. This is going to be better for him because lefthanders are strange people. You never hear anyone say... He's his left hand man... No you don't... They are right hand people if they are truly valuable. In church... The Apostles creed contains the line... "and he Sitteth on the Right hand of God the Father". I'm not sure what sitteth means but I think it clearly states that the right hand is the preferred hand. 10% of all people are left handed. That matches up with 10% of all Adults are diabetic... 10% are vegetarian inclined... and finally... 10% of Americans do not drive to work. As you can see... You don't want to be in the 10% group of anything. It's good that Aaron Hicks has escaped and come over from the dark side.

2. Yu Darvish -- Yu is one of the most talented starting pitchers in all of baseball... He was born in Japan to a Japenese Mother and a Persian Father. He is fluent in both Japenese and Persian and is able to make a nice rug out of uncooked fish. It has been reported that he throws 82 different pitches which include a fast curve... a really fast curve... a kinda fast curve... a slow curve... a really slow curve... a kinda slow curve... a fast slow curve and a slow fast curve and a curve that doesn't curve at all. "Yu" is a very popular given name in Japan... Kinda of like "You" is a popular given name in the United States.

3. Losing Streak -- Our Twins have lost 4 games in a row... and I'm just going to say it... They have stunk. Not once in those 4 loses in a row did it feel like they were going to come back and win. Stopping that losing streak is going to be challenging against Yu. It would be much easier against "You". and Yes I mean "You".

4. Phil Hughes -- If we are going to beat Yu Darvish... I like the fact that Phil Hughes is on the other side pitching for us. The best way to beat those top of the line guys is to keep it close and capitalize on mistakes when they happen. If Phil keeps pitching like he has recently. The Twins can hang around and take it. It happens all the time.

5. Newfolden Minnesota -- I have returned from Newfolden Minnesota this weekend. Returning is the only thing to do if you find yourself in Newfolden.

Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 27 May 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#4 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

And the baseball gods lend their favour to the Twins yet again.....

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

I just saw that Yu Darvish has been pulled from the start tonight because of a stiff neck.

I'm not going to re-write the Game Thread Set up because that would be a pain in my neck.

#6 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

10% vegetarian inclined? That's more than I would have thought considering the dearth of vegetarian dining options at any American ballpark.

We aren't vegetarian for the convenience of it, you know.

#7 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

I just saw that Yu Darvish has been pulled from the start tonight because of a stiff neck.

I'm not going to re-write the Game Thread Set up because that would be a pain in my neck.

Reading between the lines, it is pretty apparent that Yu saw the Twins line-up and all of a sudden had a "stiff neck" which will all of a sudden be better when he knows he does not have to face our murderer's row.

I am going to pretend I never saw the second sentence of this post.

#8 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

10% vegetarian inclined? .

I myself am 10 percent vegetarian inclined. My ballpark hotdog includes about 10 percent ketchup.

Edited by USAFChief, 27 May 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#9 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

Game-time forecast: Mostly cloudy with a 40-percent chance of rain. Winds blowing from left to right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 80.

Rangers:
SP, Baker

Choo LF
Andrus SS
Moreland 1B
Beltre 3B
Rios RF
Gimenez C
Martin CF
Murphy DH
Odor 2B

Twins:
SP, Hughes

Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Plouffe 3B
Arcia RF
Willingham DH
Parmelee LF
Suzuki C
Escobar SS
Hicks CF

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Left Handedness -- TD is buzzing with the announcement that Aaron Hicks is going to stop hitting left handed. Many of us have been asking for such a thing for quite some time but I think we never expected it to actually happen. It turns out that Hicks has made the decision on his own and he is now with the Majority of Americans. He is a right handed person. This is going to be better for him because lefthanders are strange people. You never hear anyone say... He's his left hand man... No you don't... They are right hand people if they are truly valuable. In church... The Apostles creed contains the line... "and he Sitteth on the Right hand of God the Father". I'm not sure what sitteth means but I think it clearly states that the right hand is the preferred hand. 10% of all people are left handed. That matches up with 10% of all Adults are diabetic... 10% are vegetarian inclined... and finally... 10% of Americans do not drive to work. As you can see... You don't want to be in the 10% group of anything. It's good that Aaron Hicks has escaped and come over from the dark side.

2. Yu Darvish -- Yu is one of the most talented starting pitchers in all of baseball... He was born in Japan to a Japenese Mother and a Persian Father. He is fluent in both Japenese and Persian and is able to make a nice rug out of uncooked fish. It has been reported that he throws 82 different pitches which include a fast curve... a really fast curve... a kinda fast curve... a slow curve... a really slow curve... a kinda slow curve... a fast slow curve and a slow fast curve and a curve that doesn't curve at all. "Yu" is a very popular given name in Japan... Kinda of like "You" is a popular given name in the United States.

3. Losing Streak -- Our Twins have lost 4 games in a row... and I'm just going to say it... They have stunk. Not once in those 4 loses in a row did it feel like they were going to come back and win. Stopping that losing streak is going to be challenging against Yu. It would be much easier against "You". and Yes I mean "You".

4. Phil Hughes -- If we are going to beat Yu Darvish... I like the fact that Phil Hughes is on the other side pitching for us. The best way to beat those top of the line guys is to keep it close and capitalize on mistakes when they happen. If Phil keeps pitching like he has recently. The Twins can hang around and take it. It happens all the time.

5. Newfolden Minnesota -- I have returned from Newfolden Minnesota this weekend. Returning is the only thing to do if you find yourself in Newfolden.

Did you visit the Hobo House?

#10 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

Plus it would be a shame to remove the line about Yu being able to make a nice rug out of uncooked fish...one of your best!

#11 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

These are the days I wish sports gambling was legal here. I'd be dropping Hundos on the Twins after hearing about MoonshotScott was taking Darvish's place.

#12 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

And the baseball gods lend their favour to the Twins yet again.....

What do you mean "again"?

#13 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

Now I don't want it to rain.

Is this Parm's first start in left field? I expected a barrage of "Free Pinto", but the starter change for the Rangers has gotten all the attention. I would like to see the offense get going. Perhaps ex-Twin Scott Baker will be the elixir they need (I'm think Baker carries a no-hitter until the 6th BTW).

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

Never heard of it, just looked it up on a map. It can not be a good sign when your downtown is located at the corner of 330th St NW and 120th St NW in some county.

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

I myself am 10 percent vegetarian inclined. My ballpark hotdog includes about 10 percent ketchup.

And 10 percent meat.

#16 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

6. Think about those of us, Yogi Berra included, that use both our left and right hands about equally. I think Yogi called this being amphibious, which confused me because I could never swim well not knowing if I should swim left-handed or right-handed.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#17 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

Again, free Josmil Pinto from this bench. This is atrocious.

#18 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

Now I don't want it to rain.

Is this Parm's first start in left field? I expected a barrage of "Free Pinto", but the starter change for the Rangers has gotten all the attention. I would like to see the offense get going. Perhaps ex-Twin Scott Baker will be the elixir they need (I'm think Baker carries a no-hitter until the 6th BTW).

If this is really Scott Baker, he'll look untouchable and then quickly fall apart. Let's hope it happens in the bottom of the second.

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Pinto can catch, I read that someplace........
Lighten up Francis....

#20 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

Should be an interesting game... I hope it's not a case of another former Twin coming back to bite us.

#21 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

lurker

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

And 10 percent meat.

Is this like 1% milk?

Anyway, sad to hear 'bout Yu. I guess it's not Yu's day...

I hope we win...

#22 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

• Rhett Bollinger ‏@RhettBollinger 15m
    Sam Fuld (concussion) has yet to start baseball activities. He hasn't had three good days in a row yet. He's had two but not three

[COLOR=#ff0000]Does this seem a little frightening to anyone else? The fact that they only need to have 3 good days in a row?

[/COLOR]

• Rhett Bollinger ‏@RhettBollinger 19m
    Twins top prospect Byron Buxton remains in a holding pattern with his wrist. Still just resting it, per asst GM Rob Antony.

[COLOR=#ff0000]​On and on and on and on .....[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#800080][/COLOR]

#23 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

• Rhett Bollinger ‏@RhettBollinger 15m
    Sam Fuld (concussion) has yet to start baseball activities. He hasn't had three good days in a row yet. He's had two but not three

[COLOR=#ff0000]Does this seem a little frightening to anyone else? The fact that they only need to have 3 good days in a row?

[/COLOR]
  • Rhett Bollinger ‏@RhettBollinger 19m
    Twins top prospect Byron Buxton remains in a holding pattern with his wrist. Still just resting it, per asst GM Rob Antony.

[COLOR=#ff0000]​On and on and on and on .....[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]
[/COLOR]

To be frank, and for the Twins sake, I'm more frightened by the second injury....but it pays to be cautious with both.

#24 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

To be frank, and for the Twins sake, I'm more frightened by the second injury....but it pays to be cautious with both.

I agree that the second one is of more concern because it is Buxton but from a human standpoint, it concerns me that all they need is 3 good days to be allowed to resume baseball activities.

I suppose if they resume and it gets bad again, it starts another clock but it just seems like a short window.

#25 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

GREAT catch by Hicks ....

but I thought we were going to lose another CF'er.

#26 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

That guy needs to get back to AAA to learn how to play CF

#27 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

I agree that the second one is of more concern because it is Buxton but from a human standpoint, it concerns me that all they need is 3 good days to be allowed to resume baseball activities.

I suppose if they resume and it gets bad again, it starts another clock but it just seems like a short window.

I think the three day threshold isn't like the 100 pitch threshold for starting pitchers. I have the sneaking suspicion that there was more expert professional medical analysis and study involved in concussion diagnoses and the resumption of physical activity.

#28 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

Again, free Josmil Pinto from this bench. This is atrocious.

It's tempting to research this to see about the party line is on this, but I'm afraid there is one.

#29 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

not a good guy in the clubhouse

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

Chris Herrmann is in AAA Rochester learning how to rob home runs like Puckett, Hunter and Hicks? :)

#30 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

lurker

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

Welcome back, Arcia!