Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Draft Preview: Kyle Freeland

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...w-Kyle-Freeland

@ERolfPleiss

"A hotdog is a sandwich."

#2 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

I don't like the way he finishes off balance. A hard-hit line drive could hit him right in the butt, or in his throwing shoulder. I also don't like the recoil on his follow through. Inconsistent finish, falls off towards third base with recoil, off balance, not ready to field his position. Once again, Aaron Nola looks a lot better than this.

The one thing Kolek has over these other guys is that he throws a lot harder, and his motion appears good. But Nola could step in by late season, then be your Jared Weaver for the next decade. He seems like the surest bet among the pitchers.

#3 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

I don't like the way he finishes off balance. A hard-hit line drive could hit him right in the butt, or in his throwing shoulder. I also don't like the recoil on his follow through. Inconsistent finish, falls off towards third base with recoil, off balance, not ready to field his position.

There is probably a couple of mechanical tweaks that need to be made, but I don't think that finish is unfixable. And he throws strikes. The Twins LOVE strikes.

#4 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

Jimbo, good comp with Nola. I was looking for an arm angle comp, Chris Sale comes to mind, but he doesn't quite throw that hard. Weaver is much better.

#5 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

It seems odd how he throws so many strikes when you look at his delivery. He seems to release a bit late and doesn't seem to have a lot of balance or "easiness" in his delivery. Very strange but hard to argue with the results, he must have some deception in the way it comes out to fool hitters. I like Freeland because he is left handed, has a good arsenal, and still has a lot to grow and learn. He could be a good one but there is some risk involved

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

That recoil looks like trouble. Along with him using max effort on that stringbean frame, I think he's going to be in the doctors office way too often.

#7 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

No way the Twins should draft him 5th.

#8 Menth12

Menth12

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Not that I don't like reading these draft previews, but can you start previewing some people we might actually take a five?

#9 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

It seems odd how he throws so many strikes when you look at his delivery. He seems to release a bit late and doesn't seem to have a lot of balance or "easiness" in his delivery. Very strange but hard to argue with the results, he must have some deception in the way it comes out to fool hitters. I like Freeland because he is left handed, has a good arsenal, and still has a lot to grow and learn. He could be a good one but there is some risk involved

I had exactly the same thought regarding Freeland's control. How do you spot the ball within inches when you're spinning and falling off laterally? Francisco Liriano is a good example of what happens when that kind of motion gets a little out of whack, and meanwhile nobody is accusing Freeland of having Liriano's kind of raw stuff. I suspect Freeland is benefiting from being a lefty and keeping the ball low. He may be throwing strikes down there, but I doubt that he's picking corners with consistency.

The other issue is what happens when Freeland does learn a more conventional follow through? Could be that he's also throwing a sweeping slider that wouldn't sweep so much if he doesn't do his frisbee spin. In contrast, Nola is getting guys out right now with a much more relaxed, under control delivery.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,585 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

Freeland is kind of the guy who wasn't real highly ranked coming into the season, but had a tremendous year and really improved his stock. Those types tend to make me a little nervous. Teams have to decide whether he is trending upward, or if he's just having a really good college season.

#11 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

I love this guy. And I'd love for the Twins to snag him. But there's just no way, at this point, you take him at #5.

I feel some are falling asleep on Darnell as a possible solid LH starter for us. Kind of reminds me of an Alan Anderson for long-time fans. Nothing great in his arsenal, but solid stuff with control and an idea how to pitch. Though hopefully, with a more sustained career. The Twins have some LH arms in the system to keep an eye on. But other than Gonsalves, who I like very much and feel was a steal, I feel we're lacking a high-upside LHSP.

But I think Nola is the way we go for pitching, assuming Kolek is gone.

Otherwise, I think we look at Gordon or Turner at SS. Both are reportedly true SS's who don't need to change position. I hear the younger Gordon has great upside to be excellent defensively, and good offensively. But I have to confess I'm not excited by him when I read scouting reports. I keep reading his scaled report card as 60-65 in his skill set. I know this ranks above average in all areas, and there is room for improvement, but no 70's or any 80 compared to the likes of Sano and Buxton at the #5 pick makes me pause.

Two months ago, Turner was a top 3 pick that everyone dared dream might fall, somehow, to the Twins at 5 with promises of a good glove, good hit, good OB SS with outstanding speed and SB ability who could help a team at the top of the order. Perhaps quickly. And now, after two great seasons, he has a disappointing "good" season. Am I missing something here? Or could he be a huge steal at #5?