Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: It's All Right: Hicks Gives Up Switch-Hitting

hicks
  • Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Obie

Obie

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

His decision, not Twins, claiming he had no confidence batting left-handed. Shane Victorino?

http://www.startribu.../260669531.html

Edited by Obie, 26 May 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#2 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,016 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

Desperate. Maybe it will click for him, but I really doubt it. I hope Mike and the rest of you advocates for Hicks abandoning switch hitting are right.

#3 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

And it was his decision. Gardy was surprised. What a shame nobody in the organization couldnt have made this decision much, much earlier. That failure set him back years.

All anybody has to do is look at his splits to know this was the right decision.

Edited by Marta Shearing, 26 May 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#4 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

Bitter sweet, he really looked bad from the left side

#5 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Is it too late to give up hitting and switch to the pitching mound?

#6 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

And it was his decision. Gardy was surprised. What a shame nobody in the organization couldnt have made this decision much, much earlier. That failure set him back years.

All anybody has to do is look at his splits to know this was the right decision.

He hit .287/.394/.434 as a lefty in 2012.

I think this is a great decision right now because it was his decision. Hicks has the talent to make it work.

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#7 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:47 AM

He usually looks unimpressive from the left side... I'm all for it.

#8 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

I find it interesting this community had wanted or thought this for a few years now (since TD began)...and now it's happening. Kudos to the TD community.

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

He usually looks unimpressive from the left side... I'm all for it.

Except, now it's even more learning on the job, leaning that might best be accomplished by a couple weeks in Rochester....I've gotta think there's going to be an adjustment period for facing RHPs from the right side of the plate. And Gardy "seemed geniunely surprised"? This is the right move, just seems the timing is off. What's the plan, Stan?

Edited by jokin, 26 May 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

I find it interesting this community had wanted or thought this for a few years now (since TD began)...and now it's happening. Kudos to the TD community.

No matter what the naysayers spout (and they've been more quiet of late), there are some very sharp minds that contribute on this site, owners and members alike, that continually seem to be a step or two ahead of the braintrust.

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

Except, now it's even more learning on the job, leaning that might best be accomplished by a couple weeks in Rochester....I've gotta think there's going to be an adjustment period for facing RHPs from the right side of the plate. And Gardy "seemed geniunely surprised"? What's the plan, Stan?

There might be an adjustment period and there might be not. It would have been better had the decision been made before Spring Training, but cannot help it now. When Fuld returns, he will likely have some PAs against RHPs. But this team needs no more of Danny Santana at Centerfield.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,016 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

First fly ball really carried.

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

Odor? Not a name to forget.

I'm sure Profar is taking notice on his 60-day DL stint. He may be out of a job if Odor keeps on clicking. Just goes to show that there are teams willing to move their 20 year old hot prospects from AA and see what happens.

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

There might be an adjustment period and there might be not. It would have been better had the decision been made before Spring Training, but cannot help it now. When Fuld returns, he will likely have some PAs against RHPs. But this team needs no more of Danny Santana at Centerfield.

Yep. We'll soon find out..and I wish it had been the Twins helping him make the decision going into spring training, and then working on the transition to all-right-side-hitting in March instead of May.

And yesterday should have settled once and for all the Santana in CF experiment.

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

I'd like to see this experiment happening at AAA, especially since it's one he's open about changing because of a lack of confidence.

#16 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

desperate measures taken by a desperate men usually result in quick endings. i'm not sure, but i think his goose is cooked.

#17 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'd like to see this experiment happening at AAA, especially since it's one he's open about changing because of a lack of confidence.

I agree. I hope he gets sent down very soon to work on his batting.

#18 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

And the Twins' centerfielder would be?
-----

#19 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

I'm sure they can dig up an extra infielder or two somewhere.

#20 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

I don't have the answer to that. Fuld when he comes back? All I know (or think I know) is that Hicks must go down. He just got picked off first, when the team was down by two runs. He needs to learn how to be an MLB player. Perhaps he can, perhaps he can't. But to be failing to this degree at this level is untenable.

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

I don't have the answer to that. Fuld when he comes back? All I know (or think I know) is that Hicks must go down. He just got picked off first, when the team was down by two runs. He needs to learn how to be an MLB player. Perhaps he can, perhaps he can't. But to be failing to this degree at this level is untenable.

That was a balk. Have you seen how Kubel has been playing recently? How about Willingham's/Nunez'/Santana's defensive ability at OF the last 2 games? How about Mauer at the plate the last week or so? Hicks being picked off on a clear uncalled balk is not the problem with this team...
-----

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Since when has that been an issue this year?

This team is still rebuilding, it should do what's right by it's most important prospects.

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

Since when has that been an issue this year?

This team is still rebuilding, it should do what's right by it's most important prospects.

Last time I checked, before the Giants' series this team was half a game away from the second AL Wild Card spot. They have to play to win this season and this does not mean not developing people. Santana is a prospect, too, no? He should be playing SS instead of CF (in AAA.)
-----

#24 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

Better late than never.

I don't know where you all think you're going to dig up a better CF on another team. I'm sure they've been beating the bushes since both CFers went down with concussions. They aren't out there. So can we stop with the idea of sending down the only healthy center fielder above A ball?
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#25 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

Last time I checked, before the Giants' series this team was half a game away from the second AL Wild Card spot. They have to play to win this season and this does not mean not developing people. Santana is a prospect, too, no? He should be playing SS instead of CF (in AAA.)

People must really hate Hicks if they think Santana is a better option.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

Right now they are actively harming a player's development in order to win now. I don't approve of that. I don't approve of Santana out there either.

Frankly, I'd put Parmelee out there. But I don't sacrifice the career of Aaron Hicks on the altar of contending in 2014.

#27 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

I totally disagree. The plan should be to build a consistent winner, and a team that will occasionally make a serious run at the World Series--not try to have a fantasy run for the benefit of face-saving. This Twins team is in "frame-off" rebuild. The foundation stones have yet to be found (proven!). Seasons like 2014 should be used to assess who should what role (if any) with the team and develop them, accepting the missteps and gufaws along the way. Scraping the dumpster for the castoffs of other teams discards with the hope that they can build a winner is only useful after the "core players" (foundation stones have been identified and proven). Having "open mike" for is not how good teams are built.

#28 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

Right now they are actively harming a player's development...

While that's possible, I think player development is too fuzzy a science to say that with certainty.

IMO I think Hicks is old enough, and has enough minor league time, that what's important is to be playing pretty much every day. I'm not convinced at all it matters whether that's in Rochester or Minneapolis.

#29 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

While that's possible, I think player development is too fuzzy a science to say that with certainty.

IMO I think Hicks is old enough, and has enough minor league time, that what's important is to be playing pretty much every day. I'm not convinced at all it matters whether that's in Rochester or Minneapolis.

Perhaps. It could be the Twins feel demoting him will crush his already fragile confidence too. However, he has a lot to work on and a taste of success is most important for him. If that continues up here - fine. But if he can't have success and learn up here he needs to go down.

#30 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

Honestly wasn't sure the thread title was serious until reading the first few posts. So he got at least one hit batting right-handed against a pretty good righty? What a great start for him, and tip o' the Twins cap to him for having the courage to give it a shot.

That seems like it could be much more of an influence on the future of the Twins than a loss to a perennial contender with the worst starter in the Twins' rotation on the mound.

Edited by LaBombo, 26 May 2014 - 03:46 PM.