Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: A Look Back: Twins 2013 Draft

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...wins-2013-Draft

#2 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for the article lot of research on your part. Appears that Brandon Peterson is off to a good start. The combination of his numbers and already getting moved up looks promising for a 13th rounder. What type of pitcher is he?

#3 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

Seth -
You're wrong about something:

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]Round 20 – Jason Kanzler – Outfielder – College[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3E3E3E]Kanzler began the season at Extended Spring, but when Granite was hurt, he was called up. In 34 games (136 AB), he has hit .301/.338/.485 (.823) with four doubles, three triples and five home runs. He is also 7-8 in stolen base attempts. He’s best known for his defense, having won a couple of gold gloves in college[/COLOR]

That's totally false
He is best known for his mustache:

Posted Image

#4 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

That a legit mustache if I ever saw one haha.

So Stewart not throwing his slider at all? What's his repertoire?

#5 Larsbars08

Larsbars08

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:26 AM

I had read that he wasn't throwing his slider at the beginning of the year, but I didn't know he was continuing to not throw the pitch. I wonder if they will let him throw it this year. Maybe they want him to get older and stronger before he starts to use it in pro games. It will be exciting to see his numbers when he's unleashed.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the article lot of research on your part. Appears that Brandon Peterson is off to a good start. The combination of his numbers and already getting moved up looks promising for a 13th rounder. What type of pitcher is he?

Peterson is a hard thrower. Fastball guy, but he mixes in a slider as well that is pretty sharp. Very aggressive pitcher.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

That a legit mustache if I ever saw one haha.

So Stewart not throwing his slider at all? What's his repertoire?

Fastball (92-95), changeup, curveball.

#8 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

Not a bad draft. Early of course, but other drafts at this same point of glancing back haven't looked as good.

Wasn't a fan of the Eades pick.

Peterson, Stirewalt, Kanzler, and Christensen show some early potential to be late round gems.

Garver is a surprise, I believe, to many.

Excited to see what Navarreto becomes. Kid could be a hulk. And curious how Gonsalves will turn out. He was mostly just a fastball pitcher coming out of HS (something like 86% FBs). Wonder what the instructs will have done with him. Even with throwing almost exclusively gas he struck out 39 in 28 innings in the rookie leagues. Was kinda surprised he didn't get a shot at Cedar Rapids (A) by now.

#9 OldTimeTwinkie

OldTimeTwinkie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

Ken Kendrick of the Diamondbacks cited a study of drafts from 2002 thru 2012 which ranked the MLB teams in terms of most productive drafts. I assume by the number of players who had major league playing time. Not sure of exact criteria for MLB service but anyway the Diamondbacks were number one he said but they did not hang on to prospects because of trading them.(this was the catalyst for hiring Larussa) Does anyone know how the Twins ranked on this study?

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

I don't remember reading that one. I guess there are many ways to look at a draft. Could look at MLB WAR. Could do a simple count of those who got to the big leagues.Could look at some sort of equation backed on pick and how far they got. For instance, a 40th round pick "shouldn't" get to AA, so if they do, the drafting team should get some bonus points.

#11 highlander

highlander

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

ALOT of work, great effort. Wouldn't mind seeing one for each of last five years!

#12 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

Kanzler is a guy that you like to watch play baseball. 100% effort all the time.