Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/26): Memorial Day in the Minors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...y-in-the-Minors

#2 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

[FONT=Verdana]Derrick Penilla?!?!
Why not Thorpe or [/FONT]
Gonsalves[FONT=Verdana]?

Penilla had a 5.40 ERA in the GCL last year....he has a 5.40 ERA this year...I can't see how he helps the team win or builds for future.
Yuck!
And while we are talking about the Low A Starting rotation, why the heck is Jose [/FONT]
Montanez still getting a shot at starting? He wasn't good last year, and he's not good now.

I am not privy to insider info coming out of the EST. But based on past performance, I can't see what is gained by holding back Thorpe and Gonsalves.

#3 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:33 AM

Could not agree more. I have mentioned this in the last couple MLR as well. The rotation has been garbage with the exception of Stewart and Slegers. The guys they are running out there could use more time in EST. Give some other guys a shot. They seem very set on not changing the plan with these guys. They most want to space them out and have them a year behind Stewart?... I'm not sure way Thorpe and Gonsalves have not been progressing along with Stewart. Thorpe at the very least.

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,801 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

I admit to confusion over Thorpe and Gonsalves being not in CR.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#5 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

I admit to confusion over Thorpe and Gonsalves being not in CR.

I don't mind them starting the season in EST but the current starters are not impressive. Unless they are stinking it up down there I can't see any benefit not bringing them to low A

#6 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

I'm as anxious to see Thorpe and Gonsalves in CR as anyone, but there are a couple of factors to consider. First, Penilla is a 22 yr old pitcher drafted out of college. It's not at all surprising that the organization sends the older guys to fill spots at low A ahead of younger arms. Also, despite the use of a 6-man rotation, some pitchers can start to bump up against inning limits by the end of July and in to August. Having one or both of Gonsalves & Thorpe available for the final couple of months of the season isn't a bad thing. It doesn't really matter whether these guys get their innings in from April-July or from June-August and then in to instructs in Sept.

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,063 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

I still think Gonsalves will get up to Cedar Rapids, maybe even before the Elizabethton season starts. But it definitely doesn't hurt for Thorpe to go pitch in the Appy League. See how he does in the small, hitters' ballparks, and if he does well, bump him up. He just turned 18. It's not a race.

also, another great point was made above, we don't know everything that is happening at Extended Spring Training.

I did see Penilla in spring training and thought he looked pretty impressive. He's only made one start. Give him an opportunity and then go with the younger guys.

But SD Buhr is correct, others will get opportunities later in the season.

#8 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

Cuts are coming. My guess is they want to give the fringy guys some playing time to see who goes home. Thorpe and Gonsalves are not getting cut. They both might be slated for Betsy instead.