Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Perspective

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,002 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

After the Twins swept SD and were at high water of two games over .500, it was probably unfair to credit them too much. After being swept by the Giants, maybe we shouldn't be going with the "season over" meme. Knee jerk reactions are usually wrong, and sometimes embarrassingly so.

The Twins are currently one game under .500 and in a jumble of teams groups around the breakeven mark. Most likely at least one team will emerge from that pile to make the playoffs, and most likely it isn't the Twins.

There have been many poor performances and a few positive surprises for the team. Their overall record still ranks as a surprise. Ricky Nolasco, off his last couple starts, has to be grouped in the disappointments and given his contract, he is starting to look like a really bad free agent signing. That said, Nolasco has a track record of very consistent and useful mediocrity and it is likely he will regress to the mean.

I think it is far too early to give up on guys who have performed in the past. I get nervous about guys that haven't performed and are projected to produce, like Hicks and to a lesser degree, Parmelee. The Twins, in their half-baked way, are rebuilding. They need to see for sure what they have in young players like Hicks, Pinto, and Parmelee, along with Arcia and Gibson.

It is a long season. Some things we are pretty certain about will be wrong. Some things we see as preposterous will turn out to be pretty good calls. I want to see this team get better and that means that the young guys need to step up.

#2 whitsbrain

whitsbrain

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

I read Twins Daily religiously but never post. I'm just an avid fan enjoying what to this point has been an enjoyable season.

The big surprises so far have been Colabello's & Suzuki's amazing April. The most encouraging things of note are Hughes' pitching, Plouffe's maturation at the plate and Dozier becoming one of the best second baseman in the game.

The biggest disappointments have been the injuries to Buxton and Sano, Gardenhire's total botching of the defense in the outfield, the musical chairs at SS and Nolasco/Pelfrey/Correia.

Things I'm looking forward to the most starting month number is the return of Arcia and Willingham, continuing to watch Pinto at the plate and whether Aaron Hicks' decision to abandon hitting left-handed will alter his quickly vanishing future in Baseball.

#3 NoCal

NoCal

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

I too rarely post, and living in the Bay Area, in addition to following my lifelong team (Twins), I also get to become very familiar with the A's and Giants. The thing that distinguishes them is that they each, in their own way, have a long term strategy for building success at the major leagues. While they differ in many respects, they do respect the need to build a team for their home ballparks. Both teams have fields that have very large outfields, not too unlike Target; both teams put a real priority on outfield defense. I think that the Twins are not as focussed on strategic decisions, and that is exemplified by their terrible outfield defense,which is probably a contributor to their ongoing pitching difficulties. They draft well, they seem to develop home grown players well, but somehow they do not seem to end up with a composite team that fits well in their stadium. Of course, they may still be recovering from tailoring to the Metrodome!

#4 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

The Twins have a number of Young Bullpen Arms such as A.J.Achter and Lester Oliveros. They may very well be ready to move up, but 35 Y.O. Matt Guerrier continues to hold a roster spot.
Could someone please explain this to me.

Edited by Highabove, 26 May 2014 - 05:10 PM.