Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: The Maturation of Trevor Plouffe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 860 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:35 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-Trevor-Plouffe

#2 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,392 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

He seems to be handling righthanders a lot better this year.

#3 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

I miss you cuddy!

#4 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

Plouffe has equally frustrated and intrigued me the past few seasons. We have seen him mature slowly but surely as a milb player. We have seen flashes of a real MLB bat with power, along with maddening inconsistency. Despite some poor errors, I've never been as down on his defense as others. Perhaps I missed what others have witnessed, but when I've watched him in the field I've seen a decent glove, decent range, and a good strong arm.

I am not yet convinced he's a good choice as a number 3 hitter, as he's been used so far this season. But I have to say that even after his recent dip and struggles, I've been pleased and surprised that he's still been maintaining contact and a good OB. And his doubles production has been very pleasing. He's one of those guys I've been maintaining, as Christie alluded to here, that needs those referenced 1500-2000 AB's to get where he needs to. I'm still really unsure what his ceiling is. A doubles machine with some OB and decent defense with a little homer power? Or does he truly have that 20+ HR power he has flashes along with that decent defense and good OB he's starting to show. I know this much, his approach and seeming comfort level at the plate is vastly improved. And his defense also appears to have reached another level.

Give Plouffe all the credit in the world for working on his game and making himself a better ball player. Not going to annoint him, just yet, as an integral piece to the future and this rebuild. But whether at 3B with Sano moving, which I don't see, or 1B, OF or super utility, he's making a real arguement this year to be a part of things.

I also believe this is yet another example of Bruno's outstanding work.

While Plouffe's ceiling is still in question, I believe he has raised his floor somewhat significantly.

#5 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Plouffe has been perhaps the most pleasant positive development so far this season, IMO. That said, he's not a three hole hitter on a decent MLB team.

#6 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

Plouffe has been perhaps the most pleasant positive development so far this season, IMO. That said, he's not a three hole hitter on a decent MLB team.

Plouffe has been pleasant, but I think Dozier has been the best. At the end of 2013 I think most people wanted to know if Dozier's 2nd half was for real. He is proving that it was and becoming even better on both sides of the ball. Brian Dozier is having a career year!