Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Is this pitcher a HOFer?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

[FONT=verdana]Playing in today's environment, in hitters park in AL - pitching for 15 years. He avgs 210ip a year, 30 starts, 119 ERA+ and 4 WAR per season. His worst fulltime WAR season was still over 2, his best was over 6. 9 of his 15 seasons he was above 4 WAR and he finished top 10 6x. Over 3000 career innings, 200+ wins a few no-hitters but best cy young finish was only 5th.[/FONT]

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

If he's a 4 WAR player that played for 15 years, that means he's a 60 WAR player.

And those guys get into the HoF.

Who is it?

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

No, Buehrle isn't a HoFer....

:)

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

Buerhle.

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

Ah, good ol' rubber-armed Mark.

If he keeps it up for another few years, he should get consideration. He's approaching Bert Blyleven territory at that point (though Bert pitched forever, basically).

#6 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

Ah, good ol' rubber-armed Mark.

If he keeps it up for another few years, he should get consideration. He's approaching Bert Blyleven territory at that point (though Bert pitched forever, basically).

I think the career 3.81 ERA without the K's will hurt him. 5.2 K per 9 for his career. He is having a good year thus far, but odds are he finishes with a higher ERA and even lower K number.

#7 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

I thought maybe you were talking about Tim Hudson, who also isn't a HOF.

#8 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

If his best Cy finish was only 5th, that shows he was not HOF. HOF should require the player to have been the best in his league, at least several years. HOF should not be awarded for above average performances performed for many years. Just saying.

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

If his best Cy finish was only 5th, that shows he was not HOF. HOF should require the player to have been the best in his league, at least several years. HOF should not be awarded for above average performances performed for many years. Just saying.

I disagree. I think there's a lot to be said for sustained performance at a high level. Will people look back at Buerhle the same way they do Pedro? No, of course not... But there's room for the Blylevens of the world alongside the Koufaxes of the world in the HoF.

Guys who are very good for a very long time deserve consideration, IMO. Not necessary election but lengthy consideration.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

I think the career 3.81 ERA without the K's will hurt him. 5.2 K per 9 for his career. He is having a good year thus far, but odds are he finishes with a higher ERA and even lower K number.

Yup, I love Buehrle, wish we had him, but the 2014 mirage will merge into reality (still very good!) once the strand% and HRs normalize.

He's right with a number of guys just on the outside looking in at the HOF. You have to ask yourself, do Frank Tanana, Rick Reuschel, Luis Tiant, Jack Morris and Chuck Finley deserve to be in? Most of their numbers are comparable or better. Jim Kaat and Tommy John are apparently penalized for their longevity, but they seem far more worthy.