Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Fantastic Fien

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-Fantastic-Fien

#2 blairpaul715

blairpaul715

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

He should be a FA at the end of 2018.........play it month by month or year by year, if someone wants to trade for him to be their closer, get what you can, we can find more setup guys. :)

#3 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:52 PM

Fien has been an effective setup man for Perkins. I would guess, if he continues to pitch like this, that he will get a contract similar to Burton's.

#4 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:44 AM

At what point, should the Twins start holding on to their good Players.
How many C prospects does this Organization really need?

#5 tjsyam921

tjsyam921

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

I really like fiery players like Fien. Seems like you know they're giving it they all every game. I'd just keep riding it out year by year. Even if he continues to pitch like he has he shouldn't really ever get overly expensive.

#6 severson09

severson09

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

Great article! I tuned into the Tigers radio broadcast when he pitched against them in the last road trip and their announcers were baffled by who this guy has become.

#7 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

I repeat my comment of yesterday: Fien has been a fine find.

#8 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

Year-to-year deal. I'd be willing to do two years tops. Under no circumstances three years

#9 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

I'd love to know what kind of reputation he has with other teams at this point. Do they groan when they see him getting ready to pitch or is he still just some semi-random guy in the Twins' pen?

I also I wonder if he has any chance of being the one random non-closer reliever who makes it to the All-Star game each year. Honestly, outside of strikeouts he's been a better pitcher than Perkins this year, I'm curious if that can hold up. Regardless, I'm a fan of his performance and his obvious passion for the game. I'll take a couple more like him, gladly.

#10 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

Well, I don't want to trade him for pitching since he is a good pitcher himself. Our biggest current need is outfield but Willingham and Arcia are coming back, Parmalee is doing all right and Hicks is getting on base along with the fact that we all hope Buxton and Rosario will soon be out there so I don't want him traded for an outfielder that will just muddy the picture even more. Shortstop is the other spot so if we can package him with Santana for a guy we think will be better than Santana and will be a long term guy there then that would make sense. Otherwise, enjoy having a good reliever for the 8th inning. The hallmark of most Twins winning seasons has been that a lead after 7 will stay a lead. Tons of value there so only trade it for commensurate value.

#11 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

Keep him and go year-to-year. Bullpen pitchers are volatile and he's not a free agent until 2019. He shouldn't get more than $5M a season even in his final year of arbitration.

#12 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

You have to love his intensity. Fun to watch!

#13 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

At what point, should the Twins start holding on to their good Players.
How many C prospects does this Organization really need?

The Twins have held on to players longer than they should have in most cases over the past few losing seasons, but I agree (at the moment) that they might be closer to contention than at least I thought going in to this year. It all depends on how things transpire and what someone would offer to get him but obviously they wouldn't trade him for a career minor leaguer.

#14 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

Fien is 30 years old. Let him go arbitration and play it year by year, he has been good, but relievers aren't THAT hard to find out there. If a deadline offer came around from a team looking to invest in a closer, they would have to take a serious look at it.

#15 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Fien is a great find by this organization. But we should avoid a long-term deal, just in case.
BTW, the name of the article should be "Fantastic Mr. Fien".

#16 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Finding guys like Fien is one of this organizations clearest and most consistent areas of strength.

#17 Heimer

Heimer

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

They should trade him this year while he's at his highest value. The organization does a good job finding these types of bull pen arms growing trees. They are also very loyal to there players so it'll be interesting to see at the deadline.