Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Chris Colabello and Fastballs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...o-and-Fastballs

#2 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

Good stuff, seen too many pitches this month that he has missed where you say to yourself "man, if he can't hit that, why is he here"? He was a nice story for awhile but I doubt anyone is really all that surprised by this.

#3 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

I've seen both he and Plouffe take A LOT of outside fastballs in 2-2 and 3-2 counts. They gotta lead the league, 1-2, in upsidedown K's (watching strike 3).

#4 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

And Arcia slugged another HR today (3)...with no K's.

#5 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

And Arcia slugged another HR today (3)...with no K's.

Have to think the Twins are losing patience with their OF situation. Have to have Arcia back soon.

#6 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

Good stuff, seen too many pitches this month that he has missed where you say to yourself "man, if he can't hit that, why is he here"? He was a nice story for awhile but I doubt anyone is really all that surprised by this.

Certainly surprising considering what he did in AAA, and maybe he can work with Bruno and Molitor find an adjustment. And hey, sample sizes are still pretty small...

#7 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

I've seen both he and Plouffe take A LOT of outside fastballs in 2-2 and 3-2 counts. They gotta lead the league, 1-2, in upsidedown K's (watching strike 3).

10.3% of Plouffe's plate appearances end with a looking strike out, only 8.1 for Colabello. League average is 5.3%.

#8 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,259 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

Great article. I wonder what adjustments, if any, might help at least a bit with bat speed. What about standing closer to the back end of the box (further from the pitcher)?

#9 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:09 AM

Great article. I wonder what adjustments, if any, might help at least a bit with bat speed. What about standing closer to the back end of the box (further from the pitcher)?

Glunn, I think he is already at the back of the box, but I'll check on that in the upcoming days. There are certainly other things they can look at, mostly involving swing efficiency, but that would probably mean a trade off on power.