Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/17): Pitching is Punished

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:40 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ing-is-Punished

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#2 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:18 AM

Eades has a weird line today
5 IP 7 strike outs 2 walks. 1 hr
4 ground outs.
1 hr
But 9 hits.

I'm starting to wonder about the quality of the defense in Cedar Rapids.
I haven't seen them play at all but....thats a lot b of balls that dropped for a hit. Usually when a guy gets 7 SO he has stuff good enough to limit runs. I wonder what's going on down there

#3 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

Eades has a weird line today
5 IP 7 strike outs 2 walks. 1 hr
4 ground outs.
1 hr
But 9 hits.

I'm starting to wonder about the quality of the defense in Cedar Rapids.
I haven't seen them play at all but....thats a lot b of balls that dropped for a hit. Usually when a guy gets 7 SO he has stuff good enough to limit runs. I wonder what's going on down there

Pretty hard to blame the defense when a guy gives up 6 extra base hits. If they were all seeing eye singles, then maybe.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

Pretty hard to blame the defense when a guy gives up 6 extra base hits. If they were all seeing eye singles, then maybe.

I agree, it's far more likely a function of just one bad outing by Eades.

That said, his overall May numbers are deteriorating- which begs the question- Why? In breaking down the intrinsic differences, his BABIP rose from .350 to .390 from April to May, with his May BABIP-IFB sitting at .400, and all this while his GB% has actually had a huge uptick- going from 31%. to 43% and his LD% and OFB% have dropped month over month. His K/9 has actually improved, by better than one K/9: from 8.20 in April, to 9.42 in May.

To be bluntly honest, the crew behind him performed poorly in E-Town last year, and maybe as a group, they just aren't very good in the field. Combine that with Eades pitching in some bad luck, I think you get a decent inference on what's happening down there. I wait for JC to straighten this all out.

Edited by jokin, 18 May 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

It's impossible to know without being there. There are extra base hits that would be outs at higher levels as well in the lower levels of the minor leagues.

#6 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

It's impossible to know without being there. There are extra base hits that would be outs at higher levels as well in the lower levels of the minor leagues.

Perhaps, but I think you'd be going out on quite a limb to think that 6 XBH's were all the result of sloppy defense.
Kohl Stewart pitches with the same defense behind him, and he's allowed half as many hits as Eades, in nearly as many innings.
Eades was also a college pitcher, who was facing one of the most punchless lineups from one of the worst farm systems in baseball.
He should be downright dominating a lineup like that, period. There isn't any way to sugarcoat it.

#7 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

Perhaps, but I think you'd be going out on quite a limb to think that 6 XBH's were all the result of sloppy defense.
Kohl Stewart pitches with the same defense behind him, and he's allowed half as many hits as Eades, in nearly as many innings.
Eades was also a college pitcher, who was facing one of the most punchless lineups from one of the worst farm systems in baseball.
He should be downright dominating a lineup like that, period. There isn't any way to sugarcoat it.

Im not really defending Eades. I agree he could be doing better, but its a weird line he put out. He struck guys out, kept walks down, and got some ground outs.
But gave up 9 hits and 7 runs. It seems weird to me.

Edited by clutterheart, 18 May 2014 - 02:25 PM.