Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game Thread: Twins v Mariners, 5/17 @ 6:10pm CT

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing out to left field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 60.

Mariners:
SP, Elias

Jones CF
Saunders RF
Cano 2B
Hart DH
Seager 3B
Smoak 1B
Ackley LF
Zunino C
Miller SS

Twins:
SP, Deduno

Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Plouffe 3B
Suzuki DH
Pinto C
Colabello RF
Nunez LF
Hicks CF
Escobar SS

---------------------------

More to come ... stay tuned ...
----------------------------------------------------

Ok... Things to Think About:

1. Roenis Elias -- He's lefthanded... 25 years old and he defected from Cuba on a boat to Mexico. He's also been OK for the DL riddled Seattle rotation. There isn't a lot of statistical information on him. A couple of years of data in the low minors. He spent 2013 in AA and posted OK numbers. I got a chance to watch him pitch this year and I was pretty impressed... The thing I noticed about him was this huge sweeping curveball. I'd count on seeing it today.

2. Sam Deduno -- 29.2 IP 25 K's and a 3.64 ERA. Since taking over a spot in the rotation for Pelfrey he hasn't been shut down good but he's been a whole lot better then Pelfrey. I stand by my belief that Deduno should not only be in the rotation but if left in the rotation he will perform well enough to earn and stay in the rotation.

3. Colabello -- He's back in the lineup today and I think it's the right call. We are facing a lefthander and tomorrow we face King Felix. If you are going to bust out of a slump... You don't want to try against King Felix and he has to play sometime. So... with a lefthander... Today is the day. Cola is 0 for 15 in the past 7 games. 6 for 47 in the past 15 games... His slump is bone rattling. Compared with April... He's Jeckyl and Hyde... Or Solange in Public and Solange in an Elevator.

4. Santana -- He's not in the lineup today and I don't think that's the right call. He sat yesterday... He shouldn't be sitting two days in a row. Don't get me wrong... Escobar should be in the lineup as well because Escobar is absolutely raking. I just think today is the day to put them both in the lineup... Somehow... Someway...

5. Weddings -- I have another Wedding to attend today... That's two in the past two weeks. I'm happy for the couple... But.. if this keeps up... I'm going to stop acquainting myself with single people just to slow this train down.

Edited by Riverbrian, 17 May 2014 - 01:58 PM.

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

The rubber band lives!

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Gee, the Mariners are up and at it bright and early, posting their lineup already?....must be the time difference....oh, wait...

Edited by jokin, 17 May 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#4 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,580 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

The rubber band lives!

Yes it does and today is big day for it with King Felix around the corner.

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

5. Weddings -- I have another Wedding to attend today... That's two in the past two weeks. I'm happy for the couple... But.. if this keeps up... I'm going to stop acquainting myself with single people just to slow this train down.

But you get to the age where you don't need to know any single people -- you just need to know their parents. :)

May/June rivals Christmas on the gift giving expense scale. Graduations and weddings at a peak.

Have fun.

#6 CRArko

CRArko

Consulting Detective

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationRight here, silly.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

Santana has been dealing with a sore hamstring.
Verrrrrry Interesting!

#7 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,089 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

While today is probably the day to start Colabello, right field is not the position to start him. I wrote earlier this week that I never want to see Colabello in the outfield, so I can't be happy about that.

#8 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

Gotta love the beast AKA Suzuki at DH and batting cleanup. Didn't think i could ever write that and only be 40 percent kidding.

#9 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

lurker

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

Yes it does and today is big day for it with King Felix around the corner.

I'm confused... Isn't today a day off for the rubber band?

We're at .500 after all, and it isn't stretched one way or another.

Shouldn't we cut it some slack for once?

#10 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Kurt "The Big Hurt" Suzuki. What could have been...

#11 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

Jim Bowden wrote on ESPN.com that he thinks the Twins should trade Suzuki to the Orioles, what with Wieters being hurt and all. I can't disagree. I can disagree, however, with his assessment that "the Twins need pitching, so the Orioles should give them a couple second tier bullpen guys." (In so many words.)

#12 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

Jim Bowden wrote on ESPN.com that he thinks the Twins should trade Suzuki to the Orioles, what with Wieters being hurt and all. I can't disagree. I can disagree, however, with his assessment that "the Twins need pitching, so the Orioles should give them a couple second tier bullpen guys." (In so many words.)

Would rather have a Single A "B" prospect for him. I think that would be a good return as the Twins dont really need more bullpen arms at the present. Not that this is a stellar bullpen or anything

#13 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

Slightly off topic, but I purchased MLB.tv audio, watched a few of the free games, and was offered full season MLB.tv premium for 50% off. Sold. I live in Hawaii and found out that the blackout for me is all games vs. SEA, LAD, LAA, SD, SF, OAK. Thats a lot of blackout.

#14 CRArko

CRArko

Consulting Detective

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationRight here, silly.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

If they want to trade Hardy for Zuke, sure, take it. Relievers? Hahahaha.
Verrrrrry Interesting!

#15 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

Slightly off topic, but I purchased MLB.tv audio, watched a few of the free games, and was offered full season MLB.tv premium for 50% off. Sold. I live in Hawaii and found out that the blackout for me is all games vs. SEA, LAD, LAA, SD, SF, OAK. Thats a lot of blackout.

Still get a majority of Twins game though. That feel when you live in southwest corner of Minnesota and don't have cable. Would purchase MLB.tv if I didn't live out in the country (no unlimited internet) and blackouts restrictions :(

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

Gotta love the beast AKA Suzuki at DH and batting cleanup. Didn't think i could ever write that and only be 40 percent kidding.

40 percent kidding? The guy is carrying this team, if Dozier's the heart of the team, Suzuki is the soul (thus far).

I've always been a fan of Zuke in the past, but never could I have imagined that he was capable of what he's done so far.

#17 OldTimeTwinkie

OldTimeTwinkie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

Mmmm Colabello in right field. Must want to divert his focus from hitting.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

If they want to trade Hardy for Zuke, sure, take it. Relievers? Hahahaha.

When Bowden is providing you free advice....RUN!!

#19 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

When Bowden is providing you free advice....RUN!!

Yeah, no kidding. He's in full radio commentator mode- if you haven't got anything to say, make something up anyway.

Very nice inning for Sammy D!

#20 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

Well, we know how "a couple second tier bullpen guys" from the Orioles works out for the Twins... If we could convince the Orioles that Hardy is only worth a couple bullpen guys... wait.

#21 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

or just keep Suzuki for now?

#22 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

Zuke filling the cleanup spot very, very nicely

#23 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

I am enjoying this team a ton more than the last two teams. They are much more fun to watch.

#24 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

I am enjoying this team a ton more than the last two teams. They are much more fun to watch.

It certainly helps that when you look at a lineup that has at least three regulars/semi-regulars batting at or above .300, a bunch around.250, and only one below .200.

Last year was beyond dreadful.

Oh, and not being behind 4-0 after two innings every other game is a nice change also.

#25 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

Deduno seems really rattled

#26 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Interesting to hear DickBert talk about the ump inserting himself in the game. Bert's pissed

#27 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Yeah, it's the Angel Hernandez show and we all have to remember he's the star. Now Deduno got the third out, and Hernandez takes off his mask and glares out at him and hopes he looks cross-eyed so he can throw him out. He's the top student in the Joe West School of Egotistical Umpiring.

#28 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hernandez is another Joe West. He needs to have attention - not a good trait for an ump.

#29 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

Deduno seems rattled? Angel Hernandez looks rattled based on his behavior! His gestures to the Twins dugout and to the mound. If Deduno is rattled, it's because of the home plate umpire's behavior. I don't think I've ever see an umpire be so rattled over something so minor. Deduno took a couple of steps towards the dugout on a pitch he thought was strike 3. It was close, but it was a ball.

Deduno is doing a good job so far.

#30 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,089 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

Beyond that, he's a lousy umpire.