Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Game Thread: Twins v Mariners, 5/16 @ 7:10pm CT

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing out to center field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature near 50.

Mariners:
SP, Young

James Jones CF
Michael Saunders RF
Robinson Cano 2B
Corey Hart DH
Justin Smoak 1B
Kyle Seager 3B
Dustin Ackley LF
Mike Zunino C
Brad Miller SS

Twins:
SP, Gibson

Brian Dozier 2B
Joe Mauer 1B
Trevor Plouffe 3B
Chris Parmelee RF
Kurt Suzuki C
Jason Kubel LF
Josmil Pinto DH
Aaron Hicks CF
Eduardo Escobar SS

-------------------------

And after much pencil chewing and head scratching, Brian will let us know what he's thinking when he figures out what he's thinking!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I was never much of pencil chewer. I was never much of a pencil writer either. My favorite things about pencils was throwing them in the air when the teacher had his or her back turned to the blackboard and getting them stuck into the ceiling. It was great fun but a poorly thought out plan. Since they were always stuck directly over my desk... I could never say it was Kristie who did it.

Things to Think About:

1. The Mariners -- A new revamped lineup and some stellar starting pitching coming to town. The Mariners are currently 20-20 and the Twins are 19-20. The Mariners have been my pick to click in the future. I just think they have a lot of things ready to pop. King Felix and Iwakuma make up a pretty effective tandem at the top of the rotation and soon to join them... Taijuan Walker and James Paxton. This Elias is looking pretty good and they have more young arms in the minors getting closer. That rotation can lead to something important while they tinker to find the right hitters. They've got some guys who can gobble up a pitchers mistake right now and they might find some more. Not Yet but Soon... The Mariners will be a force.

2. Robinson Cano -- Seattle shocked everyone by securing the services of Robinson Cano with a 10 year 240 Million Dollar deal. Cano is 31 years old so when his contract is up he will be 82 Years old. The Mariners probably don't figure he will be worth 24 million a year in the final years of his deal when he is in his 60's and 70's but they are thinking that he should be solid for a few years when the young talent finally joins and brings it all together. So what has 240 million gotten them so far... Umm... 1 Home Run. Hit in Texas... so the Mariner Fans still haven't seen him go yard yet at home. Cano's agent is Jay Z and Cano's GM is Jack Z... Beyoncé's Sister has punched them both in the face in elevators.

3. Chris Young -- He has made 6 starts for the Mariners because every starter above him on the depth chart is resting comfortably at Seattle's Virginia Mason Hospital. Despite being older... Chris Young of the Mariners has been much more effective then his twin Brother Chris Young who is playing OF for the Mets. I know what you are wondering... The Answer is yes... They are identical Twins. There are a few difference that makes it easier to tell them apart. For example Chris Young of the Mariners is 6-10 while Chris Young of the Mets is 6-2. When you are pitcher standing 6-10 everybody assumes that you can't pitch in dome stadiums without banging your head and that you are a power pitcher. It's true that he can't pitch in dome stadiums but Chris is not a power pitcher by any stretch of the imagination. He relies on location on a variety of pitches that top out at 40 MPH.

4. Jason Kubel -- I wonder if Kubel saw Anthony Rizzo of the Cubs lay down two bunts for base hits against the shift yesterday. Koobs has been slumping and I'd like to see him try it just to show that he has that club in his bag. Jason has been swinging and missing a bit lately... If he continues to swing and miss against Chris Young. He might be batting with his eyes closed. We may need a slow motion close up from FSN to make that determination.

5. Difficult Tasks -- According to research... When people look at a long to-do list. The Majority of Americans tend to assess and tackle the most difficult task first. I must be in the minority... When doing these Game Thread introductions... I find that thought #5 is the most difficult to come up with. So I tried to switch it up and do thought #5 first and it didn't work... It just made thought #9 even harder.

Edited by Riverbrian, 16 May 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#2 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

Parms batting cleanup? Doesn't take long to become one of this team's top hitters.

Pinto DH'ing with no 3rd catcher on the roster? Dugout shots of Gardy tonight show him with a bottle of Pepto constantly at hand?

#3 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

Can I ask why we don't bat escobar or suzuki lead-off in front of doziers power?

#4 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

Can I ask why we don't bat escobar or suzuki lead-off in front of doziers power?

Suzuki won't bat lead-off because of his speed. And Escobar, well I have no idea why he couldn't lead off, although having Mauer bat 2nd supposedly gets him more at bats, so maybe he is there at 2 which forces Dozier to lead-off and the putting Escobar at 9 gives a "2nd" lead-off man for a wrap around. And no shots intended here, but Hicks is hitting 8th, so Escobar could be leading off several innings if Hicks doesn't start hitting.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Parms batting cleanup? Doesn't take long to become one of this team's top hitters.

LOL
Yet more proof that on teams like the Twins, the 25th man does matter.

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

And after much pencil chewing and head scratching, Brian will let us know what he's thinking when he figures out what he's thinking!

You know, it's a real challenge to do as much thinking as Brian does for us here at TD. Must not leave much thinking about anything else. :)

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Kurt Suzuki C

Josmil Pinto DH

We're now at 2 games where Gardy dares to violate the Baseball Laws of the Universe.*

*2-Catchers in 1 Lineup Corollary

#8 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

We're now at 2 games where Gardy dares to violate the Baseball Laws of the Universe.*

*2-Catchers in 1 Lineup Corollary

I'm waiting for a paradox in the space time continuum causing the entire universe to implode... gotta happen soon.

#9 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

I think of Seattle as a team that has the Twins number of late.

Looked it up, 9-16 over the last 3 years, although the Twins did win the season series last year 4-3.

#10 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

Pinto DH'ing with no 3rd catcher on the roster? Dugout shots of Gardy tonight show him with a bottle of Pepto constantly at hand?

Watch, one of them gets hurt tonight and Gardy's worst nightmare comes true and he never steps out on his lost DH limb again...

#11 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

Watch, one of them gets hurt tonight and Gardy's worst nightmare comes true and he never steps out on his lost DH limb again...

Ack! It is very dangerous to say such things aloud. You are asking for fate to step in and make it so. Then where would we be?

#12 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

Jeez... You need to un-jinx that comment right now!!!

You don't temp the fate of the whatever from high a top the thing.

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Ack! It is very dangerous to say such things aloud. You are asking for fate to step in and make it so. Then where would we be?

And You Shouldn't Type "Ack!" in consideration of the Seattle Left Fielder.

#14 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

If Suzuki mysteriously has to come out of the game and Pinto has to C Gardy would then have to pinch hit for a pitcher, BFD, Colabello makes a fine PH, and that Santana kid wouldn't be a bad addition late in the game either with his speed.

Maybe Gardy's therapist is having him face his biggest fears to prove that they're not real.

#15 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

Ya'll have fun, and bring home a win. I'm taking in the Mets Nats game in DC. I like minor league games.

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

Pelfrey, Willingham and Arcia all in the Red Wing line-up tonight against ex-Wing, Kyle Davies.

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

If Suzuki mysteriously has to come out of the game and Pinto has to C Gardy would then have to pinch hit for a pitcher, BFD, Colabello makes a fine PH, and that Santana kid wouldn't be a bad addition late in the game either with his speed.

Maybe Gardy's therapist is having him face his biggest fears to prove that they're not real.

Maybe I could see Gardy's therapist. I'm having anxiety attacks what with Santana not playing- somewhere- anywhere- regularly at SS..

#18 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

lurker

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Jeez... You need to un-jinx that comment right now!!!

You don't temp the fate of the whatever from high a top the thing.

Always wanted to know... How do we un-jinx things?

#19 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,785 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Ok, this is just way cool.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1795364

Sorry, this is the kind of thing I'd talk about sitting with people in the bleachers. So today you're the stuckees.

#20 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

lurker

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

And You Shouldn't Type "Ack!" in consideration of the Seattle Left Fielder.

Ex-Ackley so?

#21 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

lurker

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

Ya'll have fun, and bring home a win. I'm taking in the Mets Nats game in DC. I like minor league games.

Let us know how Ramos and Span look!

#22 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

I have a feeling the Twins pitching is just what Cano needs.

I expect 2-3 bombs in this series.

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

Always wanted to know... How do we un-jinx things?

Depends on where you are... In Sweden you say(type) your name three times and then you throw your sister off a Cliff as a human sacrifice. It's the same method in Nebraska but they don't have any cliffs so they just have to suffer through it.

In Chile... You hang a horseshoe upside down over the entry of a door. This will actually force the bad luck to run out. The horses are pissed but they can't verbalize their disgust.

In Minnesota... You attend a church potluck and make out with someone named Gladys.

Global... Just spin around three times and spit.

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

You know, it's a real challenge to do as much thinking as Brian does for us here at TD. Must not leave much thinking about anything else. :)

What? I was zoning out there for a second.

#25 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

TK is really well spoken and has explained Gardy's rationale for roasting Hicks very clearly and intelligently. Man he has a face for radio.

#26 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

I'm more worried if Pinto gets hurt DH-ing and Suzuki has to come out of the catcher position to DH the rest of the night.. *rimshot*

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

Dear Fox Sports North,

Please don't make Tom Kelly wear a suit. He's a local treasure and you are clearly torturing the guy making him do so.

It don't hang right... Let him wear whatever he wears when he mows the lawn or chalks the lines.

Sincerely,

Riverbrian

#28 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

TK is really well spoken and has explained Gardy's rationale for roasting Hicks very clearly and intelligently. Man he has a face for radio.

There are some good looking radio personnel. I don't get the reference.

#29 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Depends on where you are... In Sweden you say(type) your name three times and then you throw your sister off a Cliff as a human sacrifice. It's the same method in Nebraska but they don't have any cliffs so they just have to suffer through it.

In Chile... You hang a horseshoe upside down over the entry of a door. This will actually force the bad luck to run out. The horses are pissed but they can't verbalize their disgust.

In Minnesota... You attend a church potluck and make out with someone named Gladys.

Global... Just spin around three times and spit.

In Wisconsin we drink cheap yellow beer and wax nostalgically about Aaron Rodgers in the off season, and during the NFL season, gripe about the "Mud Ducks"

#30 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

There are some good looking radio personnel. I don't get the reference.

Sure there are, but on TV being attractive is required where radio does not have the attractiveness prerequisite.