Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Parmelee... What happens after?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

To be clear... I'm not reacting to his nice start. Parm could return to average or below at any time.

But... For discussion... Let's say that Parm starts producing numbers like he was in AAA. Let's say it looks like he fixed some things. Let's say the team gets and stays healthy.

What happens when Arcia and Hammer are ready? Does Parm stay?

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

My guess? Hammer is up because Gardy, but I could not possibly predict who he replaces.

My preference? Arcia and Parm up, and Hammer DFAd and a RP sent down.
Lighten up Francis....

#3 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

If Parmey continues to hit, I'll bet the Twins will stash Ozzie at AAA. I know I'm in the minority opinion on this, but Ozzie needs more time in the minors anyway. He hasn't really hit well and his outfield defense might be worse than Colabellosie's.

Willinghammy... eh, I guess you cross that bridge when you come to it. I wouldn't be surprised if he's eventually put on the 60-day DL, but if not, an infielder or (hopefully) a reliever gets sent down.

Edited by Boom Boom, 14 May 2014 - 12:31 PM.

#4 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Plenty of room. Right now nobody has much of a claim to start in LF, RF, or DH (not to mention the known trouble spots of SS and CF).

Santana or Nunez will be back in AAA at some point, and we could drop a pitcher too. If Kubel keeps trending down, I hope they're not afraid to cut him once we have ready replacements. Colabello could easily wind up taking Parm's spot down in AAA too.

#5 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

I think Willingham might be back as early as the end of May or early June:

"Twins GM Rob Antony said outfielder Josh Willingham, out since April 7 with a broken wrist, took early batting practice and could begin a minor league rehab assignment this weekend."
from the ESPN re-cap of yesterday's win.

#6 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

I think Willingham might be back as early as the end of May or early June:

"Twins GM Rob Antony said outfielder Josh Willingham, out since April 7 with a broken wrist, took early batting practice and could begin a minor league rehab assignment this weekend."
from the ESPN re-cap of yesterday's win.

The same thing was said about Arcia about 2 weeks ago and he had a setback on his rehab stint.

#7 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Kubel and Colabello haven't been hitting (much) since their uberhot start. Kubel just sat for three days.

#8 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

Arcia did homer for the first time last night. He is hitting .300 and playing every day, although I know he has been replaced in several games. If the Twins want to call him up, he could come up, but I'm not convinced they think he's ready for every day major league duty.

#9 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

Hicks being sent down seems like a real possibility to make room for Hammersy. Heck, they are starting a AAA shortstop in CF over Hicksy anyway.

Then Santana probably goes back down when Fuldsy is ready. And I agree that Arcia in AAA for the time being makes plenty of sense.

#10 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

I actually think there is a potential lesson learned to be had from Parmelee's success that will result in Hicks getting sent down. Parmelee may finally have achieved the maturity and seasoning he needed to be successful (with all sample size caveats noted). Hicks is clearly not there yet - and AAA may be necessary for him to work on those things that are keeping him from being successful at the major league level.

Of course Hicks going down presents a CF problem - Fuld may need to be the full time guy with an occasional start for Arcia, once he returns. Not ideal, but maybe necessary and clearly plausible given who they have thrown out there of late.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

I want to see Parm playing every day between now and the end of the season simply to see if he can hack it. He's done well enough in AAA to get an extended chance, one he hasn't gotten in MLB. I'm glad he's hitting well, as that means he will be staying in the lineup for the time being.

That said, to answer the OPs question, Willingham, if he's hitting, could get traded and solve that, but I'd bet on Arcia or Hicks getting optioned.

#12 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

Either Hicks or Santana get sent down when Fuld returns, a relief pitcher goes down when Arcia is ready, (Tonkin likely) Colabello goes when Hammer is ready, Parm stays.

If Colabello stays then Santana goes down when Fuld comes back and Hicks goes down for Hammer. Either way a relief pitcher has to go for Arcia.

#13 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

Why don't we wait and see who gets hurts between now and when either Willingham or Arcia gets called up. I think Tonkin goes down when Fuld gets back, and wait and see on Santana/Hicks before the next guy if everyone stays healthy.

#14 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

I think as long as he's showing signs of competence at the plate, he stays no matter what happens with others. For one thing, there's still too many pitchers, for another Santana is likely headed back to Rochester, and finally Hicks can be sent down if necessary.

#15 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

Arcia will get more time in the minors, and might stay there as long as others produce on the major league level.

Willingham will have to spend at least two weeks in the minors whenever he comes back.

I picture Fuld coming back and Tonkin going down for starters. Hicks will be on the bubble and would go down when Willingham returns.

The Twins may see fit to give Hicks realtime at AAA (remember, he hasn't played that much at that level...moreso at the major league level). I also picture the the Twins may have to make a decision on Pinto...does he play everyday at Rochester (which means Fryer comes up for a spell) or does he get at bats at the expense of Kubel/Willingham/Parmelee/Nunez.

Nunez is the wildcard. You don't really want him on the field at short if Escobar and Santana continue to play well. You keep him on the bench and play Santana with Fuld in centerfield.

So, picture Tonkin goong down. Then Hicks (or Colabello, perhaos). When Pelfrey comes back, and rehabs for a couple of weeks in the minors, the Twins will either make a decision on Guerrier (or Burton) by then, or maybe Pelfrey would be designated and become the next Nick Blackburn, spending time at AAA with the hopes of coming back in September or next year.

Right now, you go with your best 25. The line-up against Boston was pretty good looking at the moment, with Dozier the low average guy, but bringing so much more other stuff to the table. Hopefully Correia will right himself, Deduno will shine, and Hughes will do better than one bad start out of every three.
Parmelee is hungry. Like Perkins from a few years ago, he was an unwanted man. The Twins have a few of these guys: Nunez, Kubel, Fuld can be cut loose at the drop of a hat and the Twins lose little. If they fail to produce, they won't find another major league job. Colabello is also hungry. Maybe the rest will keep him from pushing, maybe he shouldn't bat 4th, whatever.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#16 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

FYI, Fuld is coming back too. Ideally, we'd get one of those pesky relievers out of the bullpen. But I really don't know if we can send any of them down. At this point, it'd be Tonkin, but that probably won't happen. Here's what should happen...

Activate Fuld, send down Hicks/Tonkin. (I'd pick Tonkin cause we cause use a backup OF)
Activate Arcia, option him to AAA
If not 60 day DL, then activate Willingham, send down Santana.

#17 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

I think its expecting a lot to think Willingham will produce much when he comes back. He looked bad last year when he played, looked bad in spring training nothing really to say he didn't just get old kind of fast.
Now he hasn't played in nearly two months odds are not good he'll produce much (I'll let Brian figure the odds, he's good at math).
...Brian...Brian...Brian get the calculator out!

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#18 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

Is there a limit to how long Arcia can keep playing in AAA under the heading of "rehab"?

#19 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

Here's my timeline estimate: Fuld returns--Hicks optioned. Arcia returns--pitcher optioned or DFAed. Willingham returns--Santana optioned. When the dealing is done, the starting center fielder is Sam Fuld backed up by Eduardo Nunez.

#20 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

Is there a limit to how long Arcia can keep playing in AAA under the heading of "rehab"?

Yes, I believe it is 20 days (30 days for pitchers).

Edited by SweetOne69, 14 May 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

I think we're missing the obvious option. There has been no production from the CF spot, and the Twins clearly don't give a crap about OF defense.

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet your new centerfielder:

Posted Image

#22 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

My eyes hurt now......
Lighten up Francis....

#23 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Arcia has officially been optioned to AAA FWIW

#24 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

I think we're missing the obvious option. There has been no production from the CF spot, and the Twins clearly don't give a crap about OF defense.

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet your new centerfielder:

Posted Image

http://giphy.com/gifs/ObXgWWGHzMlVe

#25 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Disappointed that Arcia was optioned to AAA. Kubel clearly needs a break and Arcia would be a better, if less than ideal option, in CF.

#26 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:43 PM

No problem with Arcia being optioned for 2-3 weeks. he's missed enough games where it will do him some good for a short time. It's very likely the situation will sort itself out with a a OF getting hurt or remaining unproductive not being able to break out of a slump. Just DFA Hammer and be done with it.

Hicks stays until Fuld is healthy then is sent down. Santana goes down once Arcia is called back up. I like Nunez as the 25th guy with Parm, Kubel, Arcia eventually being the other OF on the roster.

Can TR not find a team needing a reliever & flip one for a backup CF?

I hope by July they are moving or straight up DFA guys like Corriea, Burton, Duensing, Willingham so we can see Meyer, May, Darnell, Escobar, & Parm in the second half & not just in September. May especialy really seems to be putting himself back on the top prospect radar.

#27 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

Kubel and Colabello haven't been hitting (much) since their uberhot start. Kubel just sat for three days.

And both went Ohfer last night

#28 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

I think as long as he's showing signs of competence at the plate, he stays no matter what happens with others. For one thing, there's still too many pitchers, for another Santana is likely headed back to Rochester, and finally Hicks can be sent down if necessary.

Agreed, he's hit well enough (AAA and bigs) that they would lose him, we're get DFA'd

#29 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Arcia has officially been optioned to AAA FWIW

I found it
http://minnesota.twi...pr_min&c_id=min

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

Given Arcia's continued wrist soreness, this should come as no surprise.