Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Posnanski's Intentional Walk Rage Scale and Gardy

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Frasier Law

Mike Frasier Law

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

Posnanski - one of my all-time favorite writers - created the Intentional Walk Rage Scale (IWRS) and wrote about it at hardballtalk. Although it is mostly just hilarious, it does have some analytical value, IMO. Naturally, the writers at SB Nation decided to create a 2014 leader board for IWRS. It should be fun to watch this year. Here's the link: http://www.beyondthe...wrs-leaderboard

One interesting thing to note is that Gardy has issued the second fewest IBB this year at 3, and the Rage/IBB is tied for lowest. In other words, he doesn't order IBBs often, and when he does, it's usually a relatively good decision.

I'm curious to hear what TD community thinks of IBB and the Twins. Ready? Go!

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,118 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

IBB are a bad idea, as a general rule. It's like intentionally committing an error in the infield to give up a single. There are exceptions (only LATE in games) of course, when it might make sense. I am happy Gardy does not use them often.
Lighten up Francis....

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,788 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

The IBB has its place (runner on second or third, unfavorable matchup at the plate) but generally, I'm glad Gardy doesn't resort to using them often.

#4 Mike Frasier Law

Mike Frasier Law

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Mike wants wins and Brock - agree completely that IBB are very very rarely considered a good idea. But I would have guessed Gardy favored them, considering how he doesn't pay much attention to advanced metrics and loves the hit-and-run, sac bunts, moving the runner over, etc. It looks like the Twins have been pretty middle of the road on IBB. From 2010 - 2013, they've issued 130 - 7th in the AL. The Red Sox only issued 84 and the Orioles issued 155.

I'd be curious to see how Gardy fell on the IWRS over his career.

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,758 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

Interesting analysis.

It actually doesn't surprise me too much about Gardy. How many times have people screamed (figuratively) in chat for Gardy to hand out an IBB (looking at your ABs, David Ortiz and Miguel Cabrera)?

Always the chance that somebody will come up behind them and make the IBB a bad choice but it seems like there are a handful of players where an IBB might be advisable at times.

#6 Since71

Since71

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

Gardy has been down on them since Nick Punto got one and sprained a thumb sliding head first into 1st base;).

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

I think Bonds was walked intentionally once with the bases loaded. Be interesting to know how that one scored.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,118 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Mike wants wins and Brock - agree completely that IBB are very very rarely considered a good idea. But I would have guessed Gardy favored them, considering how he doesn't pay much attention to advanced metrics and loves the hit-and-run, sac bunts, moving the runner over, etc. It looks like the Twins have been pretty middle of the road on IBB. From 2010 - 2013, they've issued 130 - 7th in the AL. The Red Sox only issued 84 and the Orioles issued 155.

One of life's great mysteries indeed, when Gardy and I appear to agree.....
Lighten up Francis....

#9 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

Intentional walks have their place, and the unintentional intentional walk where you just throw junk to good hitters and hope they swing does even moreso. Certainly could have put Ortiz on a couple times yesterday...
"Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

#10 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

Maybe it falls into a "get after it" or "battle one's tail off" category in Gardy's mind.

As in, he'd rarely ever walk a guy intentionally, because he'd rather face the challenge head on (whether it makes strategic sense or not)...?

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,788 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

I think Bonds was walked intentionally once with the bases loaded. Be interesting to know how that one scored.

Bonds was definitely walked at least once with the bases loaded. I remember it happening.

Looked it up. Bonds had it done to him. No surprise there... But Hamilton was also issued an IBB with the bases loaded in 2008.

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:46 PM

Actually, since Gardy took over, the Twins are 26th in the majors in IBB and 21st in sac bunts. (They also are #1 in bunt hit percentage but only middle of the road on the actual number of bunt hits).

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,788 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

It is interesting that Gardy has historically shied away from the IBB without paying attention to metrics while other teams continue to use it.

Then again, not issuing IBB fits in with the Twins' MO of "don't issue BB, period".

#14 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

IBB's have the intangible value of saving wear and tear on other relievers by getting an extra out or two from a LOOGY or ROOGY. They also speed up late innings compared to an extra pitcher change.

#15 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

Actually, since Gardy took over, the Twins are 26th in the majors in IBB and 21st in sac bunts. (They also are #1 in bunt hit percentage but only middle of the road on the actual number of bunt hits).

These stats are the opposite of what I would except re: sac bunts. That makes me pretty happy. How about attempted steals?

#16 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

I wouldn't have expected sac bunts to be middle of the pack either. Steals will be down since Revere was traded, I bet.

#17 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,118 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

I admit it. While at the game last night, I did mutter "just stop pitching to him already" after the 2nd or third blast off Ortiz's bat.
Lighten up Francis....

#18 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

And remember, just like last year with Robinson Cano, when he single-handedly was allowed to beat the Twins each game of a four-game series at Target Field, Gardenhire's pre-series talk with the team started with this: "We will not allow David Ortiz to beat us."

And true enough, the Twins have lost only one game to David Ortiz so far.

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,788 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

And remember, just like last year with Robinson Cano, when he single-handedly was allowed to beat the Twins each game of a four-game series at Target Field, Gardenhire's pre-series talk with the team started with this: "We will not allow David Ortiz to beat us."

And true enough, the Twins have lost only one game to David Ortiz so far.

I'd say Kevin Correia has lost one game to the Red Sox so far. Let's not gloss over that the Twins gave up nine runs last night. Unless I missed something, David Ortiz did not hit nine homers in last night's game.

#20 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

Re: Ortiz in this series. I have no problem with the Twins continued insistence against putting him on base. Every time he's hit a HR, the bases have been empty. Unless there are already 2 outs and the guy after him is complete garbage, don't give up the IBB.

#21 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Re: Ortiz in this series. I have no problem with the Twins continued insistence against putting him on base. Every time he's hit a HR, the bases have been empty. Unless there are already 2 outs and the guy after him is complete garbage, don't give up the IBB.

Napoli is a pretty good hitter, but doubles become singles with Ortiz on the base paths. I would pitch to Napoli before I pitch to Ortiz, every time. I prefer the unintentional, intentional walk to Ortiz more often than not, especially if there is one on or none. One, two run home run, or two, one run home runs. What's the difference? On the other hand, an easy double play can negate both.

#22 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

These stats are the opposite of what I would except re: sac bunts. That makes me pretty happy. How about attempted steals?

15th in steals (1165) but 9th in caught stealing (487). Also, they are second to the Yankees in grounding into double plays - mostly b/c they don't strike out that much and hit a lot of singles - 25th in SO (as hitters, a good thing), 16th in walks (as hitters).

#23 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Alcohol Infused

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Intentional or otherwise, it's important to remember the old metrodome addage "WALKS WILL HAUNT"

#24 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Love Posnanski's work, one of the best writers in baseball. Not a fan of the intentional walk either. Unless your Rick Vaughn walking to face Jack Parkman there are few situations it really makes sense.