Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Post your Lineup

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

What is your best lineup

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:14 AM

2b Dozier
DH Suzuki
1b Mauer
C Pinto
3b Plouffe
LF Kubel
RF Parmelee
SS Escobar
CF Santana

#3 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,523 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

My Lineup... Would be changing often... Players get hot and players go cold... If a players is hitting well... I like him in the lineup.

If you are looking for every day starters... Mauer Dozier and possibly Plouffe are the only players who fit that designation.

For Today I would start:

These 3 players should play against a lefthander:
Hicks... Plouffe and Colabello

This Player should play because of past success against Doubront

Nunez

These 8 players are hitting pretty good right now:

Ranked by OPS the past 7 games: Pinto... Parmelee... Santana... Dozier... Mauer... Nunez... Escobar and Suzuki.

DH Colabello
C Pinto
1B Mauer
2B Dozier
3B Plouffe
SS Santana
LF Nunez
CF Hicks
RF Parmelee

Bench: Escobar... Suzuki and Kubel

#4 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

C - Pinto
1B Mauer
2B Dozier
3B Plouffe
SS Hardy... Ok, Escobar
LF I guess Nunez is a better placeholder than Bartlett was, but not as good as Presley would have been. We need Arcia to get healthy and start hitting, because it looks like that's not every going to happen for Willingham.
CF Hicks
RF Parmelee

#5 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

1923 Ruth RF
1967 Yastrzemski LF
1913 Walter Johnson SP
1924 Rogers Hornsby 2B
2001 Barry Bonds DH
1927 Lou Gehrig 1B
1991 Cal Ripken SS
1917 Ty Cobb CF
1953 Al Rosen 3B
1997 Mike Piazza C

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,523 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

1923 Ruth RF
1967 Yastrzemski LF
1913 Walter Johnson SP
1924 Rogers Hornsby 2B
2001 Barry Bonds DH
1927 Lou Gehrig 1B
1991 Cal Ripken SS
1917 Ty Cobb CF
1953 Al Rosen 3B
1997 Mike Piazza C

Those guys would get killed today. ;)

#7 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

Williams or Musial not even mentioned! Unbelievable I'd say.

#8 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

CF Santana
1B Mauer
2B Dozier
RF Parmelee
C Pinto
3B Plouffe
LF Kubel
DH Suzuki
SS Escobar

#9 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

Williams or Musial not even mentioned! Unbelievable I'd say.

they'd be available for pinch hitting duties...

#10 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

1923 Ruth RF
1967 Yastrzemski LF
1913 Walter Johnson SP
1924 Rogers Hornsby 2B
2001 Barry Bonds DH
1927 Lou Gehrig 1B
1991 Cal Ripken SS
1917 Ty Cobb CF
1953 Al Rosen 3B
1997 Mike Piazza C

Hornsby, Bonds, and Cobb in the same clubhouse? Someone is going to kill someone. (The only thing they are likely to agree on is killing Piazza for his fielding.)

All you need now is Dick Allen coming off the bench and Billy Martin to manage. And we thought Billy and Reggie were entertaining...

#11 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

Hornsby, Bonds, and Cobb in the same clubhouse? Someone is going to kill someone. (The only thing they are likely to agree on is killing Piazza for his fielding.)

All you need now is Dick Allen coming off the bench and Billy Martin to manage. And we thought Billy and Reggie were entertaining...

If that team made the postseason, you could add '77 Reggie to the October postseason roster. :)

#12 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

It's quite possible that Cobb would just flat refuse to play on the same team as Bonds, and it wouldn't be a steroid thing....

I *suppose* I would settle for 1956 version of Mickey Mantle in CF instead. I'd sacrifice a little bit of average and OBP for SLG. Or Willie Mays vintage 1954.

If Hornsby wanted out also (What a JERK!) Joe Morgan from 1975 would have a spot at 2B waiting for him.

But seriously, back to the Twins' lineup - now that he's back up, trying to decide if Herrmann should start in Left, Right or Catch. Either way, he's batting cleanup.

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

What is your best lineup

Lineup.jpg

#14 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

2b- Dozier
SS- DeRosa
1B- Mauer
C- Pinto
3B- DeRosa
CF- ReRosa
LF- Arcia
RF-DeRosa
P-Derosa
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#15 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

2b- Dozier
SS- DeRosa
1B- Mauer
C- Pinto
3B- DeRosa
CF- ReRosa
LF- Arcia
RF-DeRosa
P-Derosa

I think the one year anniversary of the "let's just release Dozier" thread started by Dave deserves a mention. Way to go SoVD! You got Dozier off the deck and made him a good player. See what you can do with Aaron Hicks in the next couple of weeks.

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

What is your best lineup

To give your question some serious consideration:

With the current 25-man roster, I'd have Colabello and Herrmann riding pine, I'd have Pinto sharing time at catcher with Suzuki and at DH with Nunez, and I'd split SS 50/50 with Santana and Escobar. I'd prefer to keep a stable batting order, so I'd go with:

1 Dozier 2B
2 Mauer 1B
3 Plouffe 3B
4 Kubel LF
5 Suzuki / Pinto C
6 Parmelee RF
7 Nunez / Pinto DH
8 Hicks CF
9 Santana / Escobar SS

A few further notes: the order alternates lefty/righty as much as possible, it puts the youngest guys lowest where I like to see guys break in until they establish themselves over half a season at least, and it clusters the basepath plodders so as to not clog things up for the faster guys who I have hitting lower in a kind of poor-man's top of the lineup for the 2nd/3rd inning.

Bottom line, it's a pretty limited roster, so this lineup would change with any infusion of talent (or someone currently on the roster stepping up).

#17 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

YeeHaw! I love playing with lineups! Mostly during the offseason...but here we go.

Agree with Ashbury on a lot of his points. I also agree to LH/RH splits in the lineup, stability, and trying not to pressure the youngsters as much as possible. Now, a lineup is different than a roster. And that's a little more tricky. With Arcia and Willingham close to returning, a couple adjustments need to be made. I'm leaving Fuld out of the mix for now, as his ETA is unknown, and missing more time might put him on a rehab assignment to get his timing back.

Not to start a debate, but I am a fan of Herrman and his versatility, as well as what I still believe will be a decent, helpful bat. His recent surge at Rochester and solid milb numbers play to my notion. That being said, he's easily the first demotion to make room. After that I'm unsure. Santana would seem obvious so he could play every day. But not only is he doing well at the moment, but he's out backup CF for now. That would leave Parmelee, who just came up again, or the struggling Kubel or Colabello or the recently healthy Nunez. You can make arguements for any and all to stay as well. So I'm going to post my lineup with an extra player on roster.

1) Dozier 2B
2) Hicks-Escobar-Santana-Nunez CF/SS/?
3) Mauer 1B
4) Willingham LF/DH
5) Arcia RF
6) Suzuki-Pinto C
7) Plouffe 3B
8) Pinto-Kubel-Parmelee-Colabello DH/when not in the field
9) Hicks-Escobar-Santana-Nunez CF/SS/?

Long term, Dozier might indeed end up being a #3 hitter. Or he might be a #2 behind Buxton. Or he could stay a #1 with Buxton ultimately being a #3. But no way you move him at this time. Mauer slides back to the 3 hole. Healthy, back spasms gone, he remains the team's best pure hitter. Just being himself, he's a .300+ hitter and .400+ OB 40Dbls hitter with low to mid teens HR producer. He hits, he shows line drive power, he usually hits well with a strike or two. This allows the team's best hitter to knock guys in, move runners along, and get on base himself for the heart of the order. He also provides protection for the #2 hitter. And while Plouffe looks like a different player, and is having the best overall year of his short career, I just don't believe he's a real #3 hitter.

Willingham returns as a veteran hitter, if even close to his usual career self, batting cleanup with power. Arcia, healthy again himself, hits behind Mauer and Hammer, bringing his power and young talent to the 5 hole. Suzuki at 6 provides a quality, veteran hitter behind Arcia, and keeps him in the lineup where he's been doing so well. Plouffe and the DH could possibly flip-flop 7&8 depending on the day. Batting 9th, obviously, is whoever is not hitting second on a given day.

Now, this lineup is focused around the 2 hole. Who can say if Hick's recent performance is a sign of better consistency or not. And Escobar, Santana and Nunez are also a mystery. But if you can play matchups and hot hands daily, you sandwich some young speed and athleticism with a little extra base power between Dozier and Mauer. You also end up with a deeper all around lineup for production, but also allow a better chance for Dozier to come to the plate with someone on base more often.

#18 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

1. Gina, 3b 2. Linda, 2b 3. Sheril, rf 4. Kris, lf 5. Dania, cf 6. Susan, c 7. Emma, 1b 8. Hong, ss 9. Lian, p

#19 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

1. Gina, 3b 2. Linda, 2b 3. Sheril, rf 4. Kris, lf 5. Dania, cf 6. Susan, c 7. Emma, 1b 8. Hong, ss 9. Lian, p

+1,000,000 and greatest game of all time.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#20 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

You can't forget Dock Ellis!

#21 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

If Hornsby wanted out also (What a JERK!) Joe Morgan from 1975 would have a spot at 2B waiting for him.

Morgan would be my choice even without considering the personality.

But seriously, back to the Twins' lineup - now that he's back up, trying to decide if Herrmann should start in Left, Right or Catch. Either way, he's batting cleanup.

Don't make me go Ty Cobb on you... :shoot: (OK, maybe that's more like Aaron Hernandez.)

#22 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

9. Lian, p

I thought Hendriks signed with the Jays - when did your daughter's softball team trade for him?