Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: The Emergence of Kennys Vargas

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:48 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...f-Kennys-Vargas
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

The jump from AA to AAA isn't a tough one compared to some of the other jumps. I could see him moving up later this summer.

#3 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:27 AM

Well said TFFA. I'm excited to see Vargas mature as a hitter and hopefully see him with the big league club.

#4 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:24 AM

I have a feeling we'll need his bat before the season is out.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#5 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

Since he is on the forty...we will see him in September, but might we see him earlier?

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

Time to bench the vets and the guys who are clearly future non-contributors. With a full-time DH knocking on the door, this team HAS to finally get a definitive answer on Parmelee. No more time-sharing, no more options or DFA. Plug him in and see what happens. It should go without saying that Arcia needs full-time work and Colabello will always be walking a tightrope. If the team wants answers on these guys, Kubel and Willingham have to ride pine.

There's just not enough room for all these corner/DH types. If a player has even a small chance of being a part of the future they need to be playing now. The Twins need to put themselves in the position where they can make an informed decision before the loss of options, roster-crunches and service time force them to make an un-informed one.

Edited by nicksaviking, 13 May 2014 - 07:31 AM.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

heck, they need his bat now.....but he won't be promoted to AAA until after the ASB, then he'll be in Rocherster until September. Then maybe, maybe he'll be up.

#8 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the comments. I agree -- he very well could advance to AAA or MN this season.
But I think the primary goal is that he plays every day, and the way things might shape up in Rochester, he could have to compete for at-bats with guys like Colabello, Parmelee, even Arcia as a DH. Tough to predict what the AAA roster will look like in July, but that was my initial thought.

#9 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

Twins Fan From Afar, you write that Vargas is "destined to be a designated hitter."

But he has played 1B five years in the Minors ... is there tangible evidence that he is an incapable first-baseman? Anyone?

#10 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

Twins Fan From Afar, you write that Vargas is "destined to be a designated hitter."

But he has played 1B five years in the Minors ... is there tangible evidence that he is an incapable first-baseman? Anyone?

Well, he had to play somewhere, but yes, the defense isn't very good. He's listed at 275 pounds. Also, Joe Mauer will block him. Not to say he couldn't fill in, but yea, I have little doubt Vargas will end up as a professional hitter.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Everything I've read about the guy suggests that he's a terrible defender.

Minor league position just doesn't mean that much. They put players where they can get ABs, not necessarily where they should be playing in a perfect scenario.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

It's been awesome seeing him get hot here the last 3 weeks. I hope that that strikeout pace from this year is maintainable. That's quite encouraging. He definitely needs to keep playing every day (or 12 out of 13).

#13 birddog

birddog

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

Being a switch hitter definitely helps his future with the Twins. I saw him in spring training hit from both sides of the plate and he had good at bats. He is not over-matched and has a good swing from both sides of the plate. Twins already have issues with the 40-man roster and whom to protect, but it will get much tougher as these young guys mature and roster decisions need to be made. This year we have lost many of our CF tweeners like Pressley and Mastro, but what happens in the very near future when we decide to keep our good young hitters or pitchers. TR will have to be very creative, but I hope we get to see some of these young power hitters like Vargas in the majors before dropping them from the 40-man. Twins need some big boppers that you stick around to watch hit a bomb in the 9th inning. We haven't had that threat since Morneau's prime years.

#14 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

Everything I've read about the guy suggests that he's a terrible defender.

Minor league position just doesn't mean that much. They put players where they can get ABs, not necessarily where they should be playing in a perfect scenario.

Hmm, Let say Below Average. Below Average glove and range. Meaning If Mauer is hurt, he could player there. But just like people dream of him having David Otriz production with the bat, they have nightmares about him being like Ortiz in the field.

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

He can play the position. I've said many times in the last 3-5 years that his best defensive position was DH. I've also said for 3-4 years that he is very similar in every way to David Ortiz (obviously except for some big league numbers so far) including his ability to play 1B. Ortiz can play 1B. He has. You just kind of take what you get when he does.

#16 birddog

birddog

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

Exactly, Seth! If he puts up David Ortiz type-numbers, we can very easily take limited range at first. Twins have to get some excitement back at Target with this type of player who gets fans' adrenaline flowing each at bat.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

Hmm, Let say Below Average. Below Average glove and range. Meaning If Mauer is hurt, he could player there. But just like people dream of him having David Otriz production with the bat, they have nightmares about him being like Ortiz in the field.

Sure. From what I know of Vargas, he can "play" first base the same way Ortiz or Fielder "play" first base on occasion.

#18 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

Exactly, Seth! If he puts up David Ortiz type-numbers, we can very easily take limited range at first. Twins have to get some excitement back at Target with this type of player who gets fans' adrenaline flowing each at bat.

Where does Mauer play in this scenario? Or are you talking like 5 years down the road?

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

Let's hope that his defense doesn't hold back a MLB bat (once it is a MLB bat).
Lighten up Francis....

#20 THE DFC

THE DFC

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

I'm excited about Vargas, but the amount of DH candidates we have coming up is a bit alarming.

Arcia is questionable in the field. As is Vargas. As is Pinto. As is Parmelee. Plus, there's the very real possibility that Sano won't stick at 3B, which is a problem given that Mauer is planted at 1B.

5 hitters with major potential right around the corner. This could get tricky. Hopefully, Pinto can stick as a near full-time C, Sano sticks at 3B and at least one of Arcia/Parmelee can hold down a corner OF spot. It would really be a luxury to have all of those guys producing and to be able to fit Vargas in at DH every day.

Then, we have to figure out where to put with Rosario with 3B/2B/DH/LF/RF potentially all covered...but that's a conversation for another time.

It's an interesting situation on the horizon. Lots of talented options, of course. Glad to see Vargas throw his hat into the ring.

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

Pinto can play catcher just fine. Plenty of good hitting catchers field no better than him. Sano could move to RF potentially, but we are years from worrying about that. Parmalee? I don't think we need to worry about him clogging the path to the majors. Arcia? No need to move him off of RF for a few years either. That leaves Rosario.....not worried. They'll either find a spot for him, or move him.
Lighten up Francis....

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

Since he is on the forty...we will see him in September, but might we see him earlier?

Since he's on the 40, he can be called up anytime somone is sent down or put on the DL. He's also automatically eligible for a September callup, which I'd imagine he's going to get. I'd hazard a guess that if Mauer had gone on the DL that he would have been on the short list of names to call for a cup of coffee.

#23 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

Good hitting is like good pitching. You can never have enough. With that said, We have the following depth coming up over the next 12months.

DH: Pinto, Vargas Colabello
3B: Sano, Plouffe
LF/RF: Kubel, Willingham, Arcia, Parmelee, Rosario,
CF: Hicks, Buxton

Looks like Willingham and Kubel leave as FA. Colabello to the bench with maybe Parmelee or he is gone too and Hicks may need to go down and become a pitcher. Sano may not stick at 3b. so hopefully these newer prospects fare better.

#24 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

I'm excited about Vargas, but the amount of DH candidates we have coming up is a bit alarming.

Arcia is questionable in the field. As is Vargas. As is Pinto. As is Parmelee. Plus, there's the very real possibility that Sano won't stick at 3B, which is a problem given that Mauer is planted at 1B.

5 hitters with major potential right around the corner. This could get tricky. Hopefully, Pinto can stick as a near full-time C, Sano sticks at 3B and at least one of Arcia/Parmelee can hold down a corner OF spot. It would really be a luxury to have all of those guys producing and to be able to fit Vargas in at DH every day.

Then, we have to figure out where to put with Rosario with 3B/2B/DH/LF/RF potentially all covered...but that's a conversation for another time.

It's an interesting situation on the horizon. Lots of talented options, of course. Glad to see Vargas throw his hat into the ring.

The worst case scenario is that they all work out with the bat and we have a surplus of guys who can OPS greater than .800 with ease, but are not good defenders. At that point, these guys can be traded for something of value.

If that doesn't happen, the situation will work itself out on its own whether it be for a developing glove or a prospect failing to make it in the majors. Honestly, I'm not terribly concerned about Parmelee, Pinto, or Arcia finding a spot for their gloves and I'm only mildly concerned about Sano, whom I suspect will be an issue more as he ages than when he first makes it. Parmelee is already an average defender in the corner, and Pinto's offense is good enough to offset the defensive liabilities that he has... but even with them, he doesn't seem clueless behind the plate.

#25 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

It seems clear that a 2015-at-some-point player roster could be:

1B Mauer
2B Polanco/Dozier
3B Sano
SS Dozier/Polanco
C Pinto
DH Vargas
LF Rosario
CF Buxton
RF Hicks

Let's say Santana, Plouffe, Ortiz/maybe JD Williams, X catcher on the bench

Vargas fits in nicely as a switch-hitter in this scenario. He can get in minimal time at 1st base for spelling Mauer and DHing Pinto as well.

Imagine those positions working and a lineup of:

Buxton
Mauer
Sano
Vargas
Pinto
Rosario
Dozier
Polanco
Hicks

Note: this is leaving Arcia out at the moment for no good reason.

#26 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

I have a feeling Hicks is not going to be the Twins starting RF in 2015.

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,335 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

Time to bench the vets and the guys who are clearly future non-contributors. With a full-time DH knocking on the door, this team HAS to finally get a definitive answer on Parmelee. No more time-sharing, no more options or DFA. Plug him in and see what happens. It should go without saying that Arcia needs full-time work and Colabello will always be walking a tightrope. If the team wants answers on these guys, Kubel and Willingham have to ride pine.

I don't disagree but got to realize that Colabello is just a year younger than Kubel, has been stinking up the place recently and is as much part of the future as Kubel and Willingham. I would not mind seeing Vargas replacing him at this point.

#28 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,335 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

1B Mauer
2B Polanco/Dozier
3B Sano
SS Dozier/Polanco
C Pinto
DH Vargas
LF Rosario
CF Buxton
RF Hicks

Vargas fits in nicely as a switch-hitter in this scenario. He can get in minimal time at 1st base for spelling Mauer and DHing Pinto as well.

Buxton
Mauer
Sano
Vargas
Pinto
Rosario
Dozier
Polanco
Hicks

Sub Arcia for Hicks and Plouffe for Rosario and leave away Williams and especially Danny Ortiz (who I doubt will be with the organization in 2015) And this is pretty close. Polanco might be another season away and Escobar/Santana should be the SS till then.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#29 Madre Dos

Madre Dos

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:13 PM

Kennys Vargas is a WONDERFUL young man! He has a contagious laugh and is a fan favorite. The kids love him (he's just a large kid at heart)! Well mannered and he was very helpful to me when he stayed with me in Elizabethton. That was the season that Miguel Sano, Eddie Rosario, Jhonatan Arias, Jairo Rodriguez and Tyler Jones stayed here. I wish the best for him...he deserves it.

Edited by Madre Dos, 13 May 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#30 Madre Dos

Madre Dos

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

1B Mauer
2B Polanco/Dozier
3B Sano
SS Dozier/Polanco
C Pinto
DH Vargas
LF Rosario
CF Buxton
RF Hicks

Buxton
Mauer
Sano
Vargas
Pinto
Rosario
Dozier
Polanco
Hicks

5 of mine in the starting line up - that would make for a GREAT trip to Minnesota!