Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Colabello

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

The feel good story of the first month is turning into a tragedy, as Colabello looks nothing like the guy we enjoyed watching earlier in the year. Yesterday was especially telling, with an 0 for 4 at the plate (with another 2 K's) and an embarrassingly misplayed popup in the 9th. Often a drop off in performance by an inexperienced player can be explained by pitchers "figuring him out", but I'm not seeing a different approach in pitching to Chris. What's going on with him seems to be entirely between his ears, as he appears to have lost all confidence at the plate. While he showed a remarkable eye at the plate in the first month of the season, recently he is waving at sliders far out of the zone and letting fastballs go by him for strikes. Frankly, it's painful to watch.

I am not giving up on Chris. I just think he needs to get his head straightened out, and continuing to run him out there in the cleanup spot is doing him a disservice. The Twins need to send him down to Rochester to regain his confidence. And the timing is perfect with the pending return of Arcia and Willingham.

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,775 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

Colabello should be on the bench. Ride him through a hot streak and then put him back in a bench role when he cools off. He has a decent chance of being a bench bat, though it's unfortunate that the Twins roster currently has a stockpile of guys who should be bench bats.

#3 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

I know Arcia has been playing some but is Willingham anywhere near ready to return? Seems like that is popular opinion but not sure where it is coming from.

#4 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

I am not giving up on Chris. I just think he needs to get his head straightened out, and continuing to run him out there in the cleanup spot is doing him a disservice. The Twins need to send him down to Rochester to regain his confidence.

Colabello was everyone's hero in April and now instead of him having couple of days off to clear his head and maybe get back to some fundamentals in the cage, we need to send him to Rochester. Don't all players go through slumps? There is nothing for Colabello to do at Rochester (except be the best hitter in that league again!). He may need a break from the lineup, but sending people up and down isn't always the best solution.

#5 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

I know Arcia has been playing some but is Willingham anywhere near ready to return? Seems like that is popular opinion but not sure where it is coming from.

He's (Willingham) been taking flips and hitting off a tee the last few days with no issues and is ready to give BP on the field another shot. He seems likely to require a rehab assignment before returning. May 9 - 4:41 PM Source: Rhett Bollinger on Twitter

#6 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

Colabello was everyone's hero in April and now instead of him having couple of days off to clear his head and maybe get back to some fundamentals in the cage, we need to send him to Rochester. Don't all players go through slumps? There is nothing for Colabello to do at Rochester (except be the best hitter in that league again!). He may need a break from the lineup, but sending people up and down isn't always the best solution.

I agree that it's not always the best solution to send someone down, but this is an unusual situation. Plouffe has been slumping at the plate too, but he still appears confident and is having good at bats. Colabello, on the other hand, is a train wreck, and looks like he isn't having any fun out there. I just don't seem him as a viable option right now offensively or defensively, and would rather have a confident player pinch hitting.

I still think he may be for real, and I think this is a critical time for him. Send him down and let him rediscover his passion for the game. Let him rake at AAA and them bring him back in a month.

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

refuses to choke up with two strikes

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

I think he's worth keeping here instead of sending him down. With guys getting healthy and Parms in right, Colabello can get some much needed bench time.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

I think just give him a day or two to clear his head. More and more in the last couple of weeks, we've seen him take a lot of called strikes on the outer part of the plate. He then is putting together a patented lean back in disappointment look in the batter's box that signals that frustration. The body language in the batter's box now isn't good.

That said, he's one of like 1 or 2 bats in the lineup that has any semblance of power. I'd maybe move him down to 5 or 6 in the lineup after a day or two off and keep going with it.

As for the dropped pop-up, that's nothing to worry about that. He'll catch that 98% of the time, if not more often. those just happen sometimes.

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Maybe they could have a discussion about the taboo "P" word. Arcia should get full-time duty as the only true prospect OF, but Colabello and Parmelee can platoon with Kubel largely getting the bench.

#10 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

Once Willingham and Arcia are back, I would think that Collabello will become a bench bat, along with Parmalee.

Kubel and Pinto will be the main DHs - with Pinto getting one to two starts per week behind the plate, allowing Collabello or Parmalee a start or two per week.

The looming question is what to do with Hicks when Fuld returns. Will they continue to throw Hicks out there - or will Fuld get the starting CF spot? Can't see Hicks sitting on the bench. If he isn't starting - he will likely get sent to Rochester for an infielder.

#11 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

It was inevitable that the hot streak would end, and now that it has, it would be a good time to let him sit. I haven't noticed that anybody is pitching him differently but I have noticed that "the lunge" is coming back albeit in a lesser form. At the beginning of the year his balance was markedly different (better); he now seems to be off balance again, leaning over the plate. In the end, he should be a right hand platoon option at first and DH. (No more outfield play, please).

#12 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,002 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

He's fallen off, no doubt. I think pinch hitter and occasional DH/1B makes sense, for now. If Chris can't handle that role, he's likely heading to Rochester. Colabello was a hero when the club needed him in April, but by the All-Star break, if not sooner, he may be batting cleanup for the Red Wings.

#13 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

Colabello should be on the bench. Ride him through a hot streak and then put him back in a bench role when he cools off. He has a decent chance of being a bench bat, though it's unfortunate that the Twins roster currently has a stockpile of guys who should be bench bats.

Bench right now, but possibly Rochester ultimately. He's so limited/blocked defensively on this club, and his offense just hasn't overcome that yet. He might be able to pinch-hit for a Florimon or Hicks type black hole, but it would probably be better to address the black hole than keep a limited, modest pinch hit caddy around for it.

#14 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

Hammer and Arcia coming back, Parmelee as good an option off the bench, younger and better defensively ........hate to say it but it's midnight Cola.

#15 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

My guess is that Colabello will not get sent down, even after everyone is healthy again. Parmelee is as good off the bench, but he's a lefty like Kubel and Mauer and Arcia. Colabello being a right-handed hitter works in his favor in this case - my guess is that Gardy would want a bench bat / pinch hitter that would be batting from the opposite side of the starter.

Parmelee could have a pretty good rest of May and it might not matter.

#16 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

I just heard a Twins advertisement promoting Colabello. That makes me think he'll really have to screw up to get sent down. A bench bat and rotating DH with Kubel is what he should be doing, at least when everyone's healthy.

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Does he perhaps need convincing that he has groin injury?

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

With the roster bungles and the preference to aged players, I have a feeling Arcia and Parmelee will lose out to Willingham, Kubel and Colabello.

#19 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

Once Willingham and Arcia are back, I would think that Collabello will become a bench bat, along with Parmalee.

Kubel and Pinto will be the main DHs - with Pinto getting one to two starts per week behind the plate, allowing Collabello or Parmalee a start or two per week.

The math does not work here, unless you demote both Nunez and Hicks, which is not happening (and should not happen.)

Colabello needs to go to Rochester. At this point Parmelee is ahead of him and he should be playing.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#20 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

I just heard a Twins advertisement promoting Colabello. That makes me think he'll really have to screw up to get sent down. A bench bat and rotating DH with Kubel is what he should be doing, at least when everyone's healthy.

I heard that too. Seems a bit premature to make an ad about him (and a cowbell giveaway promotion?). I guess the roster is light in the marketability department right now.

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

April was fun and a great story but he is not an MLB caliber player, unless its strictly a bench role MAYBE.

#22 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Alcohol Infused

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

I don't like the idea of sending Colabello down, at least not yet. I agree with the majority of posters here; let CC get a couple days out of the lineup as a bench bat and see if he can't work his way out of the slump. If it continues when it's time for Hammer to return (whenever that may be...) then maybe CC has to go down, but I think it's too soon to send him down.

Thrylos mentioned Chris Parmalee being ahead of CC. I'm not sure about that. I know that CP is out of options, so he'd have to clear waivers before heading to AAA; maybe not everyone would pass on him this time around with the numbers he's put up so far in AAA. Right now I'd rather lose CP than send CC to AAA, but a prolonged slump and the return of Hammer might just mean a trip to AAA for CC, who can always come back if CP turns back into a pumpkin too.

#23 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

One would have hoped that Willingham had been traded and Kubel never signed. Now they are stuck with these roster cloggers. Colabello-Parmelee isn't a terrible platoon situation.

#24 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Colabello-Parmelee isn't a terrible platoon situation.

Parmebello. Works for me.

Edited by LaBombo, 12 May 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#25 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

KielMohr II ?

#26 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:15 AM

The math does not work here, unless you demote both Nunez and Hicks, which is not happening (and should not happen.)

Colabello needs to go to Rochester. At this point Parmelee is ahead of him and he should be playing.

Parmelee is a better fielder and has been a better hitter in the month of May. Considering Cola has options and Parmelee does not, the choice seems pretty easy.

Agreed, Nunez needs to stay up.

Hicks on the other hand doesn't appear to be ready for the bigs and needs some AAA time. Unfortunately that leaves Fuld to man CF and no 4th outfielder, so it won't/shouldn't happen without a trade or FA.

#27 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

I think that Colabella just needs a fews days off and so does Kubel and Plouffe they have been trotted out their every game because of little bench help in past month. Also Colabella would be helped if he could move down in line up to 6 in the lineup. Also he's getting pitched differently than was before so its going to take him some time to adjust to what they are doing to him. Jee's these guys hit little tough spot and everyone ready send them down baseball game of chess pitchers make ajustments and hitters will adjust to what they are doing. The problem with the Twins is that bottom of lineup has been so poor that soon as these guys fall off the offense in major trouble. This last shakeup looks like they did improve offense some from bottom but at what cost to defense. I would like to say one thing 2014 Twins mirror teams of Met stadium of the past in that weather has taken a toll on the Twins lineup. If you remember this what griffit family complained about was how cold weather brought about higher injuries and poor performance and is why they wanted a doomed stadium to take the weather out teams performance. It also cost them in attendance because fans just wouldn't come out sit in weather like we have had. Yes when summer hits there is nobetter place than watching baseball outside but in Twin Cities 1/4 of the season can be terrible place to watch baseball because of weather. I am just waiting for the Twins to say they are going to have hard time competing with this drop in attendance because of weather conditions its going to happen.