Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Miller: New Replay Rules Keep Gardy in Dugout

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

http://www.startribu.../258770381.html

Phil Miller, in his Sunday Twins article wrote about how the new replay rules have kept Twins manager Ron Gardenhire in the dugout.

Of course, the irony is that this afternoon, Ron Gardenhire was just ejected for the 68th time in his managerial career.

#2 CRArko

CRArko

Visiting Castle Anthrax

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  • LocationCamelot? 'Tis a silly place.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

True, although since it was Joe West and not a real umpire, Gardy should get a mulligan.
Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptangya Zoooooooom Boing Ni!

#3 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

True, although since it was Joe West and not a real umpire, Gardy should get a mulligan.

Joe West is the biggest horses' pitute (or is it pitoot) in all of baseball. I knew he couldn't make it through a series without drawing attention to himself.

#4 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

They say in the Music business "don't quit your day job."

Posted Image

Blue Cowboy

Edited by Highabove, 11 May 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,752 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

Joe West is the biggest horses' pitute (or is it pitoot)

http://www.urbandict...p?term=patootie

#6 matthew0211

matthew0211

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

Gardy had nothing to argue on that play. Not a thing. He went out there specifically to get tossed. The new rules have taken getting ejection out of his pocket as a tool to "motivate" his players - which is a silly managerial tactic anyway. Today, when he saw his opening, he took it. That the Twins came back and won today after the ejection was a coincidence and nothing more.

Between his ridiculous need for three catchers, his 13-man pitching staff (and even wanting 14 pitchers for one game), his mismanagement of the bullpen, and now this stunt today, he's lost me.

#7 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

Gardy had nothing to argue on that play. Not a thing. He went out there specifically to get tossed. The new rules have taken getting ejection out of his pocket as a tool to "motivate" his players - which is a silly managerial tactic anyway. Today, when he saw his opening, he took it. That the Twins came back and won today after the ejection was a coincidence and nothing more.

Between his ridiculous need for three catchers, his 13-man pitching staff (and even wanting 14 pitchers for one game), his mismanagement of the bullpen, and now this stunt today, he's lost me.

Which game did you watch? The runner was clearly trying to screen the fielder when he got hit. That means the ump should have awarded the Twins a double play. I would have argued too, they got the call wrong.

#8 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

http://www.urbandict...p?term=patootie

Thanks for that!

#9 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

It seemed like you were reading way too much into his ejection today, then I read your last paragraph. Now I know you were reading way too much into it, as you seem to be looking for more excuses why he should be fired.

#10 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:01 AM

Which game did you watch? The runner was clearly trying to screen the fielder when he got hit. That means the ump should have awarded the Twins a double play. I would have argued too, they got the call wrong.

I dont think the rules allow for awarding a DP, do they? An ump can only rule one out per ball in play as far as I know. For example, an ump can award the out at first to complete a DP after the force at second, but to my knowledge can't award an out at both second and first. I could be wrong...any umps here?

#11 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

I dont think the rules allow for awarding a DP, do they? An ump can only rule one out per ball in play as far as I know. For example, an ump can award the out at first to complete a DP after the force at second, but to my knowledge can't award an out at both second and first. I could be wrong...any umps here?

Here's something on the web, which must have at least a 5% chance of being accurate, saying that this situation is one of several that give the umpire some discretion:

34. Whether a runner intentionally interfered with either a batted ball, or a ball in play being thrown by a fielder, to thwart a double play. If yes, the umpire will call out both the runner and the batter-runner on this violation.

http://www.baseballf..._Judgement.html

#12 blairpaul715

blairpaul715

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

Did he screen the shortstop maybe so, but it wasn't so blatant that it should be called a DP.........its not like the guy was standing there to get hit, he was moving toward 3rd base..........I think they got the call right.