Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Passan: Buxton to have MRI on Wrist

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,483 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

https://twitter.com/...266787777392641

From the above tweet from Jeff Passan, Byron Buxton is going to have an MRI on his wrist. He reinjured the wrist sliding into third base.

In a follow-up tweet, they don't believe it to be serious, but being very cautious. Hopefully that is the case.

#2 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

The brain cells I didnt kill with alcohol when Sano had TJ are on borrowed time.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:07 PM

Wrist MRI is good and he should have it, but there is a larger issue here that has not been mentioned at all by the Twin Cities press (and that is a troubling fact, by itself) : The original injury was a fielding injury. This time he did re-injure his wrist when he tried to slide head first on a base. The Twins benched Sano for admiring a home run he hit off a former teammate who was pestering him constantly when with the Twins. What Buxton did, was way much worse because it really impacted him. I don't know if it is a coaching issue or Buxton, but someone should install to the kid that you do not slide on head first and touch the base with your healing wrist. Period.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 EephusKnuckler

EephusKnuckler

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

In a follow-up tweet, they don't believe it to be serious, but being very cautious. Hopefully that is the case.

Well I'm sure the Twins medical staff knows what they're doing.

#5 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

Very thankful the parent club (Twins) have had a season somewhat worth watching this year. Because the minors this year has STUNK!

No Sano, No Rosario, and No Buxton so far. May has been horrible.

Vargas and Meyer respectable. But otherwise...nothing at AA level or higher within earshot of the big club.

I guess Santana is up...and in a few at bats, even down 0-2 today vs Scherzer, he didn't look one bit fazed. Far cry from our other shortstops.

#6 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

Very thankful the parent club (Twins) have had a season somewhat worth watching this year. Because the minors this year has STUNK!

Vargas and Meyer respectable. But otherwise...nothing at AA level or higher within earshot of the big club.

I guess Santana is up...and in a few at bats, even down 0-2 today vs Scherzer, he didn't look one bit fazed. Far cry from our other shortstops.

Its a good thing we got the number 1 farm system, right? Pretty soon it will be the number 1 DL system

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

Because the minors this year has STUNK!

Not true.

Yohan Pino, Kris Johnson, Logan Darnell, Chris Parmelee, Trevor May, AJ Achter, Matt Hoffman, Matt Koch, Cole Johnson, Jorge Polanco, Mitch Garver, Ivory Thomas, JD Williams, Kohl Stewart, Brandon Peterson, Aaron Slegers and company, based on their performance so far, would have to disagree with you
-----

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,795 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

Not true.

Yohan Pino, Kris Johnson, Logan Darnell, Chris Parmelee, Trevor May, AJ Achter, Matt Hoffman, Matt Koch, Cole Johnson, Jorge Polanco, Mitch Garver, Ivory Thomas, JD Williams, Kohl Stewart, Brandon Peterson, Aaron Slegers and company, based on their performance so far, would have to disagree with you

Yeah, there have been a lot of good things about the farm this year if you can get past the injury problems at the 1 and 2 spots on the prospect list.

#9 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

How do you tell a kid not to do something that comes natural...sliding head first into third is no big deal to me. You start making a kid think or overthink things you are dead wrong. Th minor have been down this year...kepler, harrison, walker have been underwhelming. Polanco and maybe vargas are only guys having decent season as hitters. Some AAAA guys like pino mean nothing to me. Younger pitchers have been good along with may and meyer...but last season at this time we were much more optimistic about farm (at least I was).

#10 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,256 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:07 PM

How do you tell a kid not to do something that comes natural...sliding head first into third is no big deal to me. You start making a kid think or overthink things you are dead wrong. Th minor have been down this year...kepler, harrison, walker have been underwhelming. Polanco and maybe vargas are only guys having decent season as hitters. Some AAAA guys like pino mean nothing to me. Younger pitchers have been good along with may and meyer...but last season at this time we were much more optimistic about farm (at least I was).

I would hope they gave him a wrists brace while on the base paths (provided he gets a stand up single)

#11 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:43 AM

Not true.

TOTALLY taken out of context. Read the whole thing...

So to prove it...

What's the future career WAR of each players on your list from AA or AAA? And then specifically, what are their contributions in 2014 or 2015 to the MLB club?

As the 3 players I listed (Sano, Rosario, Buxton) were to likely make appearances in late 2014 and many expected to be contributors in 2015.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,483 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

He got hurt playing baseball, making a baseball play. He re-injured it making a baseball play. Can't we just leave it at that? Injuries happen. Doesn't need to be blame.

#13 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

Brad Steil this morning on the radio mentioned Buxton hurt his wrist on a feet first slide into home.

#14 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Brad Steil this morning on the radio mentioned Buxton hurt his wrist on a feet first slide into home.

Thrylos' point still stands!

#15 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

Funny, I was ripped for saying I'd bench a player for sliding head first.....and I still believe that. Slide feet first. This sucketh.
Lighten up Francis....

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

Quote from Rob Antony tonight about Buxton's injury after the MRI (emphasis mine), from here:

It was an aggravation of his injury, but it's not any worse, just aggravated

I don't know about what he meant, but this is what aggravated really means.

I feel that the future of the Twins is solid with that guy at the helm...
-----

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,795 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

An unimportant dissection of semantics. I couldn't care less if Antony knows the medical usage of aggravated.

#18 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

Quote from Rob Antony tonight about Buxton's injury after the MRI (emphasis mine), from here:

Lot of time on your hands?

#19 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Antony was probably speaking informally, but words do matter.

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

Lot of time on your hands?

Thanks for commending on the subject...
-----

#21 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

Ever spoken extemporaneously in front of multiple people who will quote you in the national press? (Didn't think so.)

If you had, I doubt you'd be so worried about a mild vocabulary mistake every so often.

But by all means, let's crucify the guy for something ridiculous. Where's my torch and pitchfork?

#22 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

This thread is absurd. The lengths people will go to to criticize someone they already don't like...

#23 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

I don't know about what he meant

I think you should have just left it right there, then you would have made sense.

#24 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,256 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

I'm with you, he gets paid a lot, and has many people and dollars at his disposal. Prepare for the obvious. Just like the injuries themselves, can he do anything about them? No... Can he plan for them to happen? Yes. Has he? Not for outfielder injuries, or CF/SS disastrous incompetence. However he has planned for catching and relief pitching catastrophe.

#25 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

His statement is absolutely correct… was health of Buxton's healing hand NOT worse after the slide? Then how injured was it… not as bad as the initial injury.

Aggravated is a adjective quantifying the current state of health, not the original injury.

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

My patience has been aggravated since reading the last half of this thread.

#27 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for commending on the subject...

Ok, that had to be on purpose right? You wouldn't accidentally use the wrong word during a discussion in which you criticized someone for doing just that?

#28 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

Has any announcement been made about how much time he may miss?