Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins Minor League Report (May 9): Kernels Crush

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,669 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:41 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...)-Kernels-Crush

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,385 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

It is interesting that Van Steensel is playing at Cedar Rapids. On one hand, it is the highest level he ever played in the States (and the Aussie League is probably comparable to the Midwest League level of competition,) but at 23+ he is just too old for the league. He does have decent off speed stuff that kids at that level do not know how to handle and is not afraid to throw balls in the dirt, but he real has to pick on guys his own age :) Got to see what he can do at high A at least, at this point...

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

Eleven hits.....and I was so sure Wimmers would be back this year. Not looking good lately.

#4 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

Santana in the bigs...

Polanco and Goodrum still raking at A+...

Vielma...age 19 at Cedar rapids...coming around with a little bit of the stick perhaps.

Maybe drafting Gordon at #5 in June?

Why is it so hard to find a solid fielding SS (not even great, but solid) who also has the coordination to hit .280+ 15+ HR 15+ SB scenario?

#5 Obie

Obie

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

Why was Buxton out of the FM lineup? Any background info about Arcia's return to the lineup in Rochester?

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,385 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

Why was Buxton out of the FM lineup? Any background info about Arcia's return to the lineup in Rochester?

They both are in the same situation: Day to Day with wrist issues. They hurt.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

Eleven hits.....and I was so sure Wimmers would be back this year. Not looking good lately.

Wasn't at the game and don't know the order of things but 5 errors and several misplays can turn 4 innings of work into a lot more. Focus on the 2 earned runs part of it.

#8 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

I like versatility but trying to make so many players be interchangeable parts doesn't really make sense to me. Used to be everyone knew their position and a guy like Al Newman would be the utility guy. Now it seems they are trying to make everyone capable of playing multiple positions and it just seems counterproductive. Why is it a good thing have the ability to play several positions when it seems to equate to not playing any particularly well. Plouffe is just now appearing to be competent at 3rd base. I am guessing he would still be a defensive mess if trotted out at other positions.

#9 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

I like versatility but trying to make so many players be interchangeable parts doesn't really make sense to me. Used to be everyone knew their position and a guy like Al Newman would be the utility guy. Now it seems they are trying to make everyone capable of playing multiple positions and it just seems counterproductive. Why is it a good thing have the ability to play several positions when it seems to equate to not playing any particularly well. Plouffe is just now appearing to be competent at 3rd base. I am guessing he would still be a defensive mess if trotted out at other positions.

The reason is that for many guys they will never be good enough to force an established player aside for a spot in the lineup.
The premium 'specs like Buxton, Sano, etc. they will learn pretty much 1 position and stay there until they get up, because they are good enough that you make room for them at that position when they are ready.
For everyone else, you may need to move off your 'natural' position in order to ever have a shot at making it. Most teams would prefer that you learn those other positions in the minors, rather than the majors.

#10 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Todd Van Steensel, just imagine Bert trying to pronounce this.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,669 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

Todd Van Steensel, just imagine Bert trying to pronounce this.

Sounds European, Dutch even, so he may be just fine with it.

#12 60ft6in

60ft6in

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Cedar Rapids has 4 catchers as of today on the roster....oddly built rosters based on injuries seems to be a familiar theme. Any idea where they will go with it? CR looks lite on outfielders because of the injuries even with JD Williams. Are there any left in extended you see joining the club? Proctor?

#13 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

Just speculation on my part, but I imagine we'll see Chad Christensen see more time in the OF with Garver (and maybe other catchers) playing some 1B for a while.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#14 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:08 AM

I think the other half of why they want versatility is the short benches in the major leagues. It's a lot easier to carry 13 pitchers when your three bench players cover 4 positions each.