Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Danny Santana

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 bear333

bear333

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

I like that. Give Santana a shot a center, why not? I feel Hicks needs to stay down for the rest of the season. They can give him another look next spring.

#22 bear333

bear333

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

Exactly!

#23 bear333

bear333

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who sees it that way.

#24 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,267 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

In the Twins' system, they have Hicks and Fuld. Currently Fuld is on the concussion DL and Hicks is hitting a buck-seventy. If he can play a non-embarrassing center field, I would play him there on Tuesday.

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,944 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

Didn't we see what can happen when you put a career middle infielder in the outfield in a big league game just the other day?

I've heard a lot of bad ideas on this forum but Santana in center is probably the worst one yet.

Why would anyone want to screw with a kid's head like that? What possible good could come from such insane mismanagement?

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,944 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

I feel Hicks needs to stay down for the rest of the season. They can give him another look next spring.

I'd put even money on you saying the exact same thing about Santana by June. Let's not get ahead of ourselves over 30 plate appearances.

#27 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

He and Nunez need to stay for good. Trade Florimon

#28 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

When Fuld comes off the DL, maybe you option Hicks at that point and hope he can find his swing in AAA. But Santana in center is not an option. I was surprised Steiny made that move. It worked this time, it will not work most of the time. For that reason, I doubt Gardy would have done it had he not been ejected.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#29 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

The window of opportunity is only so big in professional sports, so I'm not against players learning another position in order to play in the MLB. However, there are a few problems.

First of all, losing Morneau was not insignificant. Mauer and Colabello have been a bit shaky over there. The Twins lost Florimon's defense because he couldn't hit. Secondly, there's way too much experimentation with the Twins this year. First it's Bartlett, then Escobar and Santana, who else?

I wish some of these players would develop their skills as an outfielder or whatever position they want to play in the minor leagues before embarrassing themselves at the MLB level. I'd rather have 9 guys who are solid defenders than 9 guys who can play multiple positions, but are mediocre at most of them!

It really didn't bother me that Joe Mauer moved to first base due to health issues, but that's only one move. It's the fact that there's way too much experimentation going on at the MLB level and it's burning us!

It's not too late for a guy like Danny Santana (or any of the other younger guys in the minors for that matter) to go down to the minors and learn how to play the outfield if that's what he wants to do.

Edited by Reider, 11 May 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#30 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

My favorite thing about Santana is that in about 1/4 the number of games, Santana already has triple the RBI's and triple the doubles of Florimon and an OPS about .700 higher.

#31 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Member

• Twins Mods
  • 11,268 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

Trade Florimon

He will depart the same way he arrived, via waivers.

Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flame thrower.

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,622 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

I admit I thought he'd hit more like Floriman, and field a bit worse. I have NO IDEA if he can play CF.....but since they have no SS anywhere near the majors, why not let him play SS for awhile? If that doesn't work, send him to AAA for a month to play CF (it's not like anyone in AA or AAA is blocking him......sigh).

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#33 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:48 AM

It won't be too long until his batting average dips under .220, but he's really exciting. His speed is fantastic and I hope he doesn't get injured (an injury that would sap his speed, that is. Like Mastoianni). Might as well keep starting him while he's hot.

While it would typically be horrible if your SS batting average drops to .220, he would be getting 2x the hits of the guy he is replacing. So i think this works out really well. We get way more offensive production out of SS and he can learn on the job.

I assure you, if 80 balls get through the SS gaps, Pedro would not get to 40 of them. So this works out pretty well.

#34 Cris E

Cris E

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

If anything I'd put Santana at SS while he's hot and let utilityman Escobar play CF while he's hot. Then when things need to change just send out Santana to learn SS at AAA.

#35 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

Funny when two of your hottest hitters play SS as their best position, especially on the Twins. I would rather keep playing Santana at SS 4-5 times a week if he is going to stay up. Escobar could play SS 2-3 times a week and sub in other positions and probably have 4-5 games a week also.

#36 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,016 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

Santana will hit. He just might stick around, and some I know think this should of been done earlier. Keep him at short and play Escobar at 3rd once in awhile. He hits, or is, better than Plouffe.

#37 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

Santana will hit. He just might stick around, and some I know think this should of been done earlier. Keep him at short and play Escobar at 3rd once in awhile. He hits, or is, better than Plouffe.

I doubt that will be the case by the end of the season. Escobar doesn't have a chance to OPS .700 while Plouffe OPS's .700+ and is a disappointment. there's also a chance that things click for Plouffe and he becomes a less streaky solid hitter (.750+ OPS).

I think the Twins should start Santana 4-5 games/wk and rotate Escobar in wherever there is an opening (even CF if he's not horrible).

#38 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,944 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

I doubt that will be the case by the end of the season. Escobar doesn't have a chance to OPS .700 while Plouffe OPS's .700+ and is a disappointment. there's also a chance that things click for Plouffe and he becomes a less streaky solid hitter (.750+ OPS).

I think the Twins should start Santana 4-5 games/wk and rotate Escobar in wherever there is an opening (even CF if he's not horrible).

Agreed. The likelihood of Plouffe becoming an acceptable long-term 3B is much higher than Escobar doing the same.

#39 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

He will depart the same way he arrived, via waivers.

Three errors in three games and three 0fers for the Red Wings. The spiral has yet to bottom out.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#40 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Member

• Twins Mods
  • 11,268 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

Three errors in three games and three 0fers for the Red Wings. The spiral has yet to bottom out.

I take no pleasure in seeing him fall apart, of course. He battled a physical ailment this spring that would have kept me recuperating for weeks longer. This is probably harder for him than being waived by the Orioles, since someone still wanted to pick him up and give him a chance.

The fielding will straighten itself out, but the bat just won't. The majority of aspiring infielders eventually have to face this, it just took longer for him and it's probably no consolation to him at this moment that he held onto that bottom rung in the majors for a while.

Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flame thrower.