Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Option Florimon, Herrmann

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

No Arcia in the 'Wings line-up tonight. Motown bound?

#22 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Just a little humor:

Really? You've been benched, there are two other SS on the roster, and you have terrible numbers and you're surprised about being demoted?

#23 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

I wonder if Danny Santana's last couple of games were enough to keep him on the roster and cost Florimon his spot? Earlier in the week it seemed like a forgone conclusion that Santana was gone once the team needed to make a move.

I'm glad Santana is still here - he's a blast to watch - that kid is FAST!

I think it was more Escobar's competence and Nunez's health. Santana will get to play a lot until the bench comes back together, but he'll be sent down to AAA for more seasoning. He's too valuable to the future to risk, and not yet ready for the bigs, despite SSS good hitting and fielding.

i too am glad he's still up. I hope he can continue to make his case that the future begins now, and he IS ready.

#24 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Anyone wish to revisit their vigorous defense of not signing a SS this past winter?

#25 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,191 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

I think it was more Escobar's competence and Nunez's health. Santana will get to play a lot until the bench comes back together, but he'll be sent down to AAA for more seasoning. He's too valuable to the future to risk, and not yet ready for the bigs, despite SSS good hitting and fielding.

i too am glad he's still up. I hope he can continue to make his case that the future begins now, and he IS ready.

In the parts of the game I watched today, he doesn't look like he is ready defensively. However, he has some exciting tools and I enjoy watching him.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,222 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

Anyone wish to revisit their vigorous defense of not signing a SS this past winter?

Shortstop is fine. They have five of them on the roster.

Six if you count Guerrier.

#27 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Shortstop is fine. They have five of them on the roster.

Six if you count Guerrier.

I heard that he was taking grounders at short. Oh, and he's also an outfielder, too. He played it in high school.

Please tell me you knew I was kidding.

#28 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

I wasn't vigorous about it, but I"ll say that I continue to be happy that Drew or whoever the other option was aren't part of the Twins.

#29 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,619 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Does someone have to be put on the AAA roster in place of Raley?

And Guerrier. They have 22 active players on their roster (with Arcia not counting and Kevin Thomas on the DL.) Florimon and Herrmann will take care of those 2 spots and if Arcia and Hicks take their positions, it all evens out to 24 in Rochester as well...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#30 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 7,280 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

I wasn't vigorous about it, but I"ll say that I continue to be happy that Drew or whoever the other option was aren't part of the Twins.

[IMG]http://imagecache.w00t.com/?url=http://www.careerealism.com/home/jtodonnell/careerealism.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/interviewing-jerry-maguire.jpg[/IMG]
Honesty...

#31 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

If Arcia isn't ready to go, then put Willingham on the 60-day DL. Add Parms to the 40 man and bring him up for whichever pitcher they want to send down, probably Tonkin would be their choice. He's better at first or right than Colabello, and gives him a month to get another look. If he fails again, you DFA him and it's no big deal.

#32 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 7,280 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Even if I were a devout atheist, and also a front office employee, I would still get down on my knees and thank my sweet Lord Jesus that the NFL draft starts tonight. That and the Wild clinging to life in the playoffs should blunt the savaging that they are due from the local sports media.

#33 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Even if I were a devout atheist, and also a front office employee, I would still get down on my knees and thank my sweet Lord Jesus that the NFL draft starts tonight. That and the Wild clinging to life in the playoffs should blunt the savaging that they are due from the local sports media.

Sadly, I think the local media put the Twins on page two weeks ago. And that's not a good thing.

#34 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 7,280 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Sadly, I think the local media put the Twins on page two weeks ago. And that's not a good thing.

Yeah. Doesn't bode well for either the Twins or the media. By the end of tomorrow their output will tell us more about them than we know now about the front office by a factor of somewhere between two and half of infinity.

And by 'their', I meant media, not Twins. I think.

Edited by LaBombo, 08 May 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#35 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:03 PM

Sure. After watching Santana the last couple of games, I think it's time to give him a shot and start developing him into the shortstop of the future. That's why they didn't sign Drew.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#36 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,037 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

I defended Florimon coming into the season. I was wrong. He just can't hit. Last year's performance gave me some hope that he would get enough extra base hits to make up for a low OBP and high strikeouts. Florimon has soft hands, a great arm, very good range, and can reach the fence (LH), but he can't hit. Really, sending him to Rochester is fine as long as he isn't taking reps from Santana, but I can't see him ever coming back to be the regular SS.

While Herrmann had a nice spring, he's never shown he could hit enough to be a big leaguer. Versatility goes only so far. He'll get more days in the big leagues, I think. However I don't know if it will be with the Twins.

#37 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

I defended Florimon coming into the season. I was wrong. He just can't hit. Last year's performance gave me some hope that he would get enough extra base hits to make up for a low OBP and high strikeouts. Florimon has soft hands, a great arm, very good range, and can reach the fence (LH), but he can't hit. Really, sending him to Rochester is fine as long as he isn't taking reps from Santana, but I can't see him ever coming back to be the regular SS.

While Herrmann had a nice spring, he's never shown he could hit enough to be a big leaguer. Versatility goes only so far. He'll get more days in the big leagues, I think. However I don't know if it will be with the Twins.

I thought he was due for regression from last year--something like a .550 OPS, which is below what he would need to do to keep Santana down in AAA. But I didn't think he would regress this far, this fast. On the other hand, he's the kind of guy who has to do a lot of work to be able to hit at all. When he wasn't able to do the work in spring training, it kind of doomed him to a horrible start. I thought they should have started with him on the DL to put in that work in extended spring, but they didn't, so he really wasn't ready to start the season. He was just showing signs of life, such as they were, but it was too little, too late. I haven't totally given up on him, but I'd be surprised if he makes it back with this club.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#38 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

I harken back to Gardy's complete and fully public mis-assessment of Florimon in Spring Training ("He's my Starting SS!"), in the face of appendectomy surgery, no less. I would have thought that every single person in Twins Territory knew his bat was marginal even under the best circumstances, the surgery really gave him no chance to succeed- it seems like someone in the know should have anticipated that outcome a little better and DLd him from the outset when it was fairly obvious that he wasn't swinging a big league bat (as a few of us on TD recommended- as Chiristy just posted). His chance for a return to being the regular SS, barring a catastrophic series of injuries, is probably less than 1 in 3, but he really should be working on becoming a utility infielder, where he could still be valuable.

#39 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

Sure. After watching Santana the last couple of games, I think it's time to give him a shot and start developing him into the shortstop of the future. That's why they didn't sign Drew.

I'll be surprised if everyone is still on the Santana bandwagon a month from now.

But I've been wrong before, hope to be again in this case.

#40 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

I'll be surprised if everyone is still on the Santana bandwagon a month from now.

But I've been wrong before, hope to be again in this case.

If Nunez really is 100%, I don't think Santana will have a chance for anyone to jump off his bandwagon. Judging from today, there are holes in his game that need refinements, he still has a ways to go to just simply be handed the job. When the roster finally returns to normal, I would surmise that the Eduardos will share the SS job until they show they can't hack it.