Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Game Thread: Twins@Indians 5/8 11:05AM

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,384 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

I wonder if Matt Guerrier is playing OF Today? Find out when the lineup is posted here by ChiTown.

/ ashburyjohn: I'm not ChiTown but here ya go:

Twins Lineup
Brian Dozier 2B
Eduardo Escobar CF (Originally listed as LF)
Trevor Plouffe 3B
Chris Colabello 1B
Jason Kubel LF (Originally listed as RF)
Kurt Suzuki DH
Josmil Pinto C
Chris Herrmann RF (Originally Sam Fuld listed as CF)
Daniel Santana SS
(Kevin Correia P)

Indians Lineup
Michael Bourn CF
Nick Swisher 1B
Michael Brantley LF
Carlos Santana C
David Murphy RF
Asdrubal Cabrera SS
Ryan Raburn DH
Lonnie Chisenhall 3B
Mike Aviles 2B
(Justin Masterson P)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Defense -- Let there be no doubt about it... Defense was the difference in last night's baseball game. Let there also be no doubt that I care more about defense then anybody in a 5 state area. I'm a huge Colabello fan and I do not doubt his effort but that bases loaded TWO OUT double in the 3rd inning by Brantley should have been caught and of course Escobar in LF in the 9th and we just lost a ball game. BTW... Take a look at the box score... I looked in the "E' Column... The Twins didn't make an errors. The official scorer may have to make that declaration depending on the guidelines for such things. Reality is another thing entirely. This is the major leagues... you need players who make those catches. 3 Runs were charged to the pitching staff when they could have been prevented. We made a roster move to address these defensive issues when we called up Matt Guerrier.

2. Escobar in LF -- For a moment... I tried to convince myself that Escobar was doing OK in the OF... He looked to be tracking the ball just fine. Then came the 9th inning. What happened in the 9th inning... I've seen it before. It wasn't a slicing ball that confused him... He tracked it real well. He thought he was close to the wall and he wasn't. He was preparing to make an incredible catch and he didn't have to and the result was a leadoff double. It's called the warning track for a reason. You feel the dirt on your feet and that warns you that the wall is near... Experienced OF'ers know this. Oh Well... Escobar can run and he can track... If the Twins are not going to bring in an experienced OF... I'd like to see Escobar out there again to gain the experience needed to play the position. Playing for the 1st time on May 7th would be my main problem when Thursday morning quarterbacking. Especially in the context of how this team was built.

3. 11:05 Start -- That's Early... but understandable because they have a long flight to Detroit following the game. The plane leaves Cleveland Hopkins International at 3:30PM and arrives at Detroit Metropolitan at 3:36PM. On the West Coast the game starts at 9:05AM... Glunn, Ash, and Chief will be watching in their pajamas.

4. Game 4 -- It's a 4 game series... So let's go for the tie. I am filled with inspiration... None of you ever knew George Gipp... It was a long before your time... The last thing he said to me... RB... Sometime when the boys are up against it... and the breaks are beating the boys... Tell them to go out there and put whoever you want in the OF.

5. Rob Ford -- Nobody knows where Rob Ford is... He claims to be in a rehab facility but nobody knows for sure... He could be rehabbing in a crack house for all we know. He has made contact with a Toronto reporter and he said that "Rehab is amazing... It reminds me of Football Camp". Based on that... He must be in Jacksonville with Justin Blackmon... I don't know and I hardly care but... If he thinks rehab is amazing... He's probably doing it wrong.

Edited by ashburyjohn, 08 May 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#2 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,711 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

2. Escobar in LF -- For a moment... I tried to convince myself that Escobar was doing OK in the OF... He looked to be tracking the ball just fine. Then came the 9th inning. What happened in the 9th inning... I've seen it before. It wasn't a slicing ball that confused him... He tracked it real well. He thought he was close to the wall and he wasn't. He was preparing to make an incredible catch and he didn't have to and the result was a leadoff double. It's called the warning track for a reason. You feel the dirt on your feet and that warns you that the wall is near... Experienced OF'ers know this. Oh Well... Escobar can run and he can track... If the Twins are not going to bring in an experienced OF... I'd like to see Escobar out there again to gain the experience needed to play the position. Playing for the 1st time on May 7th would be my main problem when Thursday morning quarterbacking. Especially in the context of how this team was built.

Promoted to Center Field by Thursday morning's quarterback ... oops, manager.

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

Santana back at SS over Florimon
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#4 CRArko

CRArko

Oddball

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOn my Sherman
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

Santana back at SS over Florimon

Which means, with Mauer still out, Florimon is the entire bench.
Crazy... I mean like, so many positive waves... maybe we can't lose, you're on!

#5 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

Kubel, Escobar, Hermann has got to be the worst outfield in the history of the game. Is Gardy trying to prove a point? If I'm Correia I'm just pissed.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,722 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

Kubel, Escobar, Hermann has got to be the worst outfield in the history of the game. Is Gardy trying to prove a point? If I'm Correia I'm just pissed.

God, I hope so. Gardy has every right to be furious about this roster.

#7 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

The only thing that would make this better is if Guerrier immediately gets into the eighth inning of a one run game. Preferably against a one AB appearance from AROD.

#8 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

Im thrilled that EE did so astoundingly well in left that he gets center today.

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,722 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

Sounds like Fuld has a headache today which spurred the choice of Escobar in CF.

The Twins started Cuddyer in center for several games. Is Escobar better or worse? Honest question.

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

I um, I, well, huh. I have no idea what to type about that lineup....other than it is progress that Santana is at SS.
Lighten up Francis....

#11 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,711 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

I think Gardenhire is just doing what he can....

I don't know that we want Florimon in CF either.

Escobar seems the most athletic of players available.

Good road trip for Rob Antony to stay in Minnesota.

#12 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

I am almost rooting for Pinto to get knocked out of this game (and this game only) just to see what mad scientist lineup Gardy ends up with out there. Would he lose the DH and have Suzuki catch or would he bring Hermann in and throw another infielder into the outfield? The options are captivating.

#13 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Doesnt someone nee DFA'ed today for Matty G? Did I miss something?

#14 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

God, I hope so. Gardy has every right to be furious about this roster.

His right to be furious correlates to the amount of influence he had on the Bartlett and Guerrier decisions.

#15 kydoty

kydoty

First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men

• Members
  • 281 posts

Wow, one healthy outfielder on the entire 25 man roster.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

#16 CRArko

CRArko

Oddball

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOn my Sherman
  • Twitter: crarko

Sounds like Fuld has a headache today which spurred the choice of Escobar in CF.

The Twins started Cuddyer in center for several games. Is Escobar better or worse? Honest question.

Honest answer; how would we know? And Cuddyer's not here. The only other options today are to put Santana or Herrmann in CF. Is Escobar better or worse?
Crazy... I mean like, so many positive waves... maybe we can't lose, you're on!

#17 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

not a good guy in the clubhouse

• Members
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

God, I hope so. Antony has every right to be furious about this roster.

Fixed that for you :)

#18 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,711 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Honest answer; how would we know? And Cuddyer's not here. The only other options today are to put Santana or Herrmann in CF. Is Escobar better or worse?

I'll take Escobar.

And the adventure continues ....

Plus I liked this tidbit:

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,722 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Swap out Nunez for Florimon and you at least have another guy who has played a handful of MLB games in the OF.

There are a half dozen moves the Twins could have made to shore up this problem. None of them are great (or even good) options but they're better than what they have now.

#20 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

so, the one actual OF can't play more than 4-5 times a week! good times.
Lighten up Francis....

#21 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

Is Jason Tyner available somewhere? He hit a home run in Cleveland once. Rene Tosoni just signed with our local Sioux City Explorers, so he could come back too! Where is Brian Dinkelman? He's a .300 hitter at the ML level. Lots of potential options out there!

#22 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

The adventure begins!

#23 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

His right to be furious correlates to the amount of influence he had on the Bartlett and Guerrier decisions.

Show proof of the amount of influence he had on the roster.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#24 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

that was boom boom's point.....he can be furious if he had little control, he can't if he had a lot of control. boom boom did not state what level of control he had at all.
Lighten up Francis....

#25 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

Yeah, I left that one kind of open.

Some managers have a lot of influence, and some have very little. They all have some. Maybe Ryan and Antony foisted Bartlett and Guerrier on Gardenhire, in which case he has a right to be furious.

#26 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

if Correia can just strike out the next 25 guys, it won't matter who's in center.

#27 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

that was boom boom's point.....he can be furious if he had little control, he can't if he had a lot of control. boom boom did not state what level of control he had at all.

I can see that

#28 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

[COLOR=#292F33][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Mike Berardino ‏[COLOR=#B1BBC3]@[/COLOR]MikeBerardino 30s[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#292F33][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Fuld on 7-day concussion DL. Eduardo Nunez on the lineup card.[/FONT][/COLOR]

#29 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,711 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

[COLOR=#292F33][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Mike Berardino ‏[COLOR=#B1BBC3]@[/COLOR]MikeBerardino 30s[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#292F33][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Fuld on 7-day concussion DL. Eduardo Nunez on the lineup card.[/FONT][/COLOR]

But is Nunez in Cleveland????

#30 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

Nice throw by Santana. That's a tough play for Escobar. A regular CF probably catches that