Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Roster Shuffle: Twins Add Guerrier, What's Next?

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#61 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

The game has started. The 40-man move HAS to have been made. Any word?

#62 Cris E

Cris E

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

Fuld to the 7 day DL and Nunez on his way.

#63 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Fuld to the 7 day DL and Nunez on his way.

Interesting (zero CF on 25 man roster!), but still not the 40-man move. Twins official site 40-man roster now lists 41 names, none of whom are on the 60-day DL.

#64 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

Maybe we're cheating on the 40-man and hoping that the commissioner's office takes pity on us. and allows us to carry 41 guys.

#65 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

When updated for the Nunez-Fuld swap, the Twins 25-man active roster will feature only ONE listed outfielder (Jason Kubel):

http://minnesota.twi...ve.jsp?c_id=min

1 outfielder (and zero CF), 8 infielders, 3 catchers, 13 pitchers.

#66 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,889 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

I was negative about this team's roster construction before the season and it's offensive depth.....and even I didn't think things would get this laughable this fast.

It's a bit embarrassing really.

#67 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

Seriously. They did this? Why on earth?

#68 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

A bit embarassing?

It's hugely embarassing, except it's the Twins, so no one really cares. Trees falling in the forest, and all that.

#69 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

Shouldn't there still be a 40 man move if Guerrier is now on the 25? Any idea what they are doing with Arcia? I heard he was out of the lineup last night due to general soreness.

#70 teekz

teekz

Jedi Master

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • LocationCoruscant
  • Twitter: tdkuhl

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

They have to be hoping for Hicks being ready tomorrow.

#71 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

In addition to the general lack of outfielders, remember we simultaneously kept Arcia and Willingham on the active roster for 4-5 days in early April, completely unable to play due to wrist injuries, before putting them on the DL. Both are still disabled one month later.

Mauer's at 4 days and counting, but even that I understand. Arcia and Willingham had worse injuries, were both slumping, and are probably DHs even when healthy.

In isolation, these things are marginal moves with often marginal players, but these bizarre / erroneous marginal moves have been accumulating at a rapid rate for this club.

#72 Chief_Roberts

Chief_Roberts

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

Guys, don't worry Joe Mauer's move to first base will allow him to stay healthy and with him able to play every day his power numbers should improve.

#73 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

Can we get Brooks Kieschnick to make a comeback? We could then add to both the OF and RP ranks. Plus his lifetime BA is .150 HIGHER than Florimon is batting and the guy had power to boot.

#74 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

They have to be hoping for Hicks being ready tomorrow.

Yeah. Desperately counting on an underperforming young player to return immediately from the concussion DL. Pretty sure nothing could go wrong with that...

#75 jmlease1

jmlease1

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

With Fuld joining Hicks on the DL, there's no decent solution for CF (but again, that's a self-inflicted wound with the absurdity of the way they shuffled Presley, Mastro, etc around in favor of bloody Jason Bartlett) but why call up Nunez? Are they expecting him to play a little OF too?

The 25-man makes no damn sense now.

#76 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

So depressiong. This recent comedy of errors is just more evidence the Twins know they have no chance to compete.

Look, mismanagement at a very high level. They have a CF problem and OF shortage. Span and Revere are both starting for their teams and are batting leadoff. The downward spiral actually started when they let Torii go. Been trying to get a stable OF ever since. Gardy plays favorites regardless of baseball sense. Anthony is letting him call the shots. The Guerrier and Bartlett decisions cannot be explained otherwise. Gardy must not like Parmalee. It was a no brainer to call him up when the OF needed someone. Instead, he kept three shortstops and three catchers ( so to speak) had one of the SS play OF for the first time. Man..... Pedro and Hermann need to go. Call up Parmalee. This team needs offense. April is over.

Pitching...Made no sense to send the rookie LHP who just threw 3 perfect innings down.
We are short on lefties as it is. Guerrier would have redone his deal after the option expired. Frankly, he had nowhere else to go. And we would not need 8 relievers if Gardy did not have a couple of them throw 1 pitch per appearance ( I exaggerate only slightly). There are only 9 innings in a game. If the starter gets you to 6th inning, you need 3 relievers. And why can't a reliever pitch two days in a row if he only thows one inning?

We have several guys in AA and AAA that could come up right now and do as well as our current starters

I am OK with Fuld. He is versatile, fast, and not hurting us so far. He is basically a wash with Pressley and Mastro. Wilson .... made no sense to add if we aren't gonna move him up when we have an OF emergency.... see Parmalee comments here

Edited by Kelly Vance, 08 May 2014 - 11:08 AM.
typo

#77 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

It is just mind boggling that Gardy/Front Office can let a roster of a MLB team look this sad. How how how is it possible that you can play a game with 1, I repeat 1(!!!) outfielder on your team?

Shake my head.

#78 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

Four shortstops, three catchers and your "outfielders" are Kubel and Colabello even when Mauer returns. Combine that with a pitching staff that doesn't strike anyone out and 8 relievers. Ugh.

#79 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,057 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

It is just mind boggling that Gardy/Front Office can let a roster of a MLB team look this sad. How how how is it possible that you can play a game with 1, I repeat 1(!!!) outfielder on your team?

Shake my head.

Anyone want to find a positive out of this entirely forseeable (at least by some of us on TD, anyway) fiasco? There is now no freaking possible way that Rob Antony can ever be named permanent GM.

#80 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

Anyone want to find a positive out of this entirely forseeable (at least by some of us on TD, anyway) fiasco? There is now no freaking possible way that Rob Antony can ever be named permanent GM.

Has anyone heard when TR will be back doing his duties?

#81 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

Yeah. Desperately counting on an underperforming young player to return immediately from the concussion DL. Pretty sure nothing could go wrong with that...

At least he can play center field.

#82 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,334 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

My thought right at this moment... a player will be DFAd.

#83 BruceNor

BruceNor

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Minor League roster depth has been a challenge for the Twins for a while. No one wants to play for the Twins. You could see it coming this year...what if Hicks doesn't hit again? Pressley gone, Mastro gone, got do more than Fuld. It's time to call up Parmelee again and go out and trade for Drew Stubbs or someone like that just to get a CF. BTW, "Parms" has been mashing.

#84 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,057 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

I was negative about this team's roster construction before the season and it's offensive depth.....and even I didn't think things would get this laughable this fast.

It's a bit embarrassing really.

Only a "bit embarrassing"? Bewares for whom the bell tolls, Told you so's, Chickens coming home to roost......none of that makes me feel any better, it's all just plain pitiful at this particular moment.

But think on this.....If Jim Pohlad was embarrassed by his club last September, how does he feel about it now? This non-stop comedy of errors is making Chris Colabello's CanAm team, the Worcester Tornadoes, look respectable by comparison

#85 S.

S.

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

Shouldn't be too hard to fit 5 people in a car as long as Gardy sits shotgun. We can send Gardy, Rick Anderson, Antony, and TR along with whoever we DFA.

#86 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,057 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

In all honesty Seth, that "moment" was last Sunday when Mauer went down. This is inexcusable.

#87 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,411 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

In all honesty Seth, that "moment" was last Sunday when Mauer went down. This is inexcusable.

I don't fault them for not DLing Mauer.

But I do fault them for not getting Arcia and Nunez on this roster. That in itself would help this situation immensely and all it requires is the demotion of two really really bad baseball players (Chris Herrmann and Pedro Florimon).

And for crying out loud, Arcia and Nunez were 100 miles away.

#88 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

Shouldn't a player have already been DFA'd? Guerrier is on the official roster, he's apparently in Cleveland, right?

#89 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

Shouldn't a player have already been DFA'd? Guerrier is on the official roster, he's apparently in Cleveland, right?

Brooks Raley was, supposedly.

#90 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

I don't fault them for not DLing Mauer.

But I do fault them for not getting Arcia and Nunez on this roster. That in itself would help this situation immensely and all it requires is the demotion of two really really bad baseball players (Chris Herrmann and Pedro Florimon).

I don't fault them for Mauer yet either.

I fault them for having no backup for Hicks to start the season, no real CF at AAA for a month and counting now, no legit outfielder replacements on the 40-man roster...