Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Roster Shuffle: Twins Add Guerrier, What's Next?

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#41 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

In the grand scheme of things, it's trivial. It's a "mistake" that can be reversed today if need be. This isn't a Capps/Ramos situation that cannot be undone.

I don't like the move one bit but calling for a guy's head over it is absurd.

It's the grand scheme of things that led to my fire him comment, not this one mistake. There's an appaling lack of any accountability on the outfield situation.

It gets worse, you know. Today's outfield has Kubel in right, Escobar in center and Hermann in left. Injuries, of course, led to this. But good GMs plan for injuries. The fact that they don't even have a center fielder in AAA is on Antony. Until they claimed Wilson and Buxton came back from injury, the highest level where they had a legitimate center fielder was the Midwest league. That should not happen.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#42 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

Wait....did you just type that Esco is in center and Hermann in left?

So, yes, feel free to disagree with my stance that this is a bad move, but explain how it is a good move.....

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#43 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

"Matt Guerrier has been a very solid big league contributor for 10 years. Let's think about the track record instead of his most recent outing in Rochester." If it was 10 solid years followed by a bad recent outing I would agree. It is 10 solid years being generous calling last year 4.01 NL relief solid, surgery and rehab, two bad outings at AA 35 years old, and promoting him just because of an opt out clause he probably wouldn't have taken. I really liked Guerrier but give him more money to stay, let him earn his way back or let him walk.

#44 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

It's the grand scheme of things that led to my fire him comment, not this one mistake. There's an appaling lack of any accountability on the outfield situation.

It gets worse, you know. Today's outfield has Kubel in right, Escobar in center and Hermann in left. Injuries, of course, led to this. But good GMs plan for injuries. The fact that they don't even have a center fielder in AAA is on Antony. Until they claimed Wilson and Buxton came back from injury, the highest level where they had a legitimate center fielder was the Midwest league. That should not happen.

The "grand scheme of things" involves two months where we're not even sure what decisions are being made by Antony and what decisions are being made by Ryan.

A bit premature, don't you think? I'm not defending this move (or Escobar starting in center today, ugh) but calling for a guy's head when you don't even know for sure that any of this was his call is a knee-jerk reaction to the situation.

#45 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

Who's call is it, if not the acting GM? Is he the acting GM or not?

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#46 CRArko

CRArko

Don't need no stinkin badges

• Members
  • 2,780 posts
  • LocationNagoya
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

@MikeBerardino: #mntwins hitting coach Tom Brunansky offered to come out of retirement but said he'd need 2 days. "I don't have two days," Gardy said.
The Mighty Shabani

#47 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

@MikeBerardino: #mntwins hitting coach Tom Brunansky offered to come out of retirement but said he'd need 2 days. "I don't have two days," Gardy said.

Good stuff.

#48 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

Actually Herrmann is in RF and Kubel in LF, but yes Escobar is in CF. Suzuki and Pinto flip flop - Zuke is DH and Pinto is catching.

#49 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

Progress! Pinto is catching!

#50 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

Deduno was the Twins' best pitcher when healthy last season. He deserves the first shot at an open spot in the rotation.

I am ok with that. I just like the idea of giving Darnell a shot but also I actually equate Deduno with Guerrier at his best. Reliever that can give you more than one inning at a time and spot start if needed. Just made sense to me because Darnell was AAA pitcher of the month as a starter with starter innings. No argument with your statement except for those reasons. I have supported Guerrier in his prior stint with the Twins even when others were down on him but I just don't like promoting him at this time. The opt out just doesn't seem that significant to me.

#51 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

Who's call is it, if not the acting GM? Is he the acting GM or not?

Ryan is with the team in the ballpark every day. We have no idea at what level he is participating in decisions.

And even if it's Antony who made the call, it's a minor decision in his first two months on the job. If you think that's the kind of thing that gets a guy fired, you're going to have a hard time retaining any employees.

#52 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

The "grand scheme of things" involves two months where we're not even sure what decisions are being made by Antony and what decisions are being made by Ryan.

A bit premature, don't you think? I'm not defending this move (or Escobar starting in center today, ugh) but calling for a guy's head when you don't even know for sure that any of this was his call is a knee-jerk reaction to the situation.

First of all, the Twins have said that Antony and not Ryan is approving all moves until Ryan is back full time, which is not yet. Who recommends them, and such, is irrelevant. So assuming the Twins are not lying about that, in two months, Antony's made a half dozen basic mistakes. I'm not talking about nuanced mistakes here. These are GM 101 type things, like not offering your number 1 draft pick a contract in time so that he becomes a free agent. Those kinds of mistakes. I can excuse a couple of them. But when every single roster decision he makes is the result of a basic mistake, and the combination of these mistakes leads to a crippled team, he needs to be held accountable for it. If the Twins or the media won't do it, it's our job to.

And firing him is not the only way to hold him accountable. I was saying that to be controversial, half in jest. But how else do you hold a guy accountable for screwing up a decent team?
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#53 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Toledo Mud Hens

• Members
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

Did the Pohlads laugh? That is the question.

#54 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

Not having any backup CF plan above A ball is the issue. That's not one decision, it a series of decsions. Having 8 RP is a series of decisions. Having 3 "C" and 3 "SS"* is a series of decisions. Having Florimann still on the roster? Having Hermann still on the roster? Having 2 OF on the roster for days? That's not one decision. This isn't one decision. And, he's the acting GM....as in, this is his chance to prove he should be hired full time. Right now, I would not do that.

*"" used because I don't think these guys are C or SS

#55 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

And firing him is not the only way to hold him accountable. I was saying that to be controversial, half in jest. But how else do you hold a guy accountable for screwing up a decent team?

Call him out for it. These moves absolutely deserve to be called out. Most of us agree on that.

#56 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

The roster has been horribly mismanaged in a way that should never happen in MLB. Yet, there is zero accountability. I don't know what specifically needs to happen, but I know the current management system isn't working.

#57 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

Wait, which team are we talking about? :)

#58 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

4. The Twins tend to keep an eye on other teams pretty well. I wonder if they were planning to get Fuld from the get go. Pressley really looked bad in spring training.

Sorry, can't give credit here. Fuld was a free agent this offseason, and signed a minor league deal with Oakland in February even though he was unlikely to make their roster (indeed, he only did for the first 2 weeks of the season due to injury).

If they were ready to cut both Presley and Mastro that quickly, ahead of Jason Bartlett (!), they should have gone into spring training with some better CF options to support Hicks.

EDIT TO ADD: We still don't even have a real CF in AAA either (Eric Farris, career minor league infielder). And our AA CF and only other 40-man CF was the guy cut by the team claiming Mastro.

Edited by spycake, 08 May 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#59 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

I don't know if this is an Anthony or Ryan thing. I do know that it seems as though every year at some point there's some discussion about poor roster management as injured guys are on too long and it seems like they take forever to make moves.

Sometimes I wonder if there's some obscure rules associated with roster changes that aren't common knowlege... Because for the life of me, I cannot figure out the logic in the roster as it's currently configured.

#60 AScheib50

AScheib50

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

My biggest issue here is that there are several other guys who I think should have been ahead of the Guerrier. It doesn't mean they should have gotten the call because the Twins have no need in the bullpen, but for the overall betterment of this team wouldn't you have rather seen Achter or Deolis Guerra? Young guys with promise for the future is something we should be seeing. If anything to create some buzz? Who really wants to see Matt Guerrier come out of the 'pen?